3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 8:53 AM by Dag Norum

Premiere Pro CS5 native support for Canon 5D/7D

kaydawgy1999 Level 1

So now that the newest version of Premiere Pro will offer native support for HDSLR like the Canon 5D and 7D, does this mean that editing will be much faster??  Meaning, is there no reason now to export to an intermediate codec like Cineform for faster editing because CS5 will be able to edit the h.264 files without lag?  I was just curious as this will make up my decision of upgrading from CS4 to CS5.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 native support for Canon 5D/7D
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Check out this demonstration which includes dslr footage at one point:

http://cs5.org/?p=594

Based on this demo; it works well natively.   However; this demo uses a high end machine and a compatible cuda graphics card.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 native support for Canon 5D/7D
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have an Intel i7 computer with lots of ram (I am going to build an i7-930 with 12Gig of ram) and a compatible nVidia card so the GPU is used (I am going to buy the GTX 285) you should do well

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 native support for Canon 5D/7D
              Dag Norum Level 2

Through history, Adobe has promised a lot of things that have:

- Caused many to experience that it's not so, and therefor a lot of screaming/complaints. Most of which (screaming/complaints) has been because people are doing something that is not correct, or installed stuff that screws things up, and so on.

- Caused many people to get great benefits from the new features, and they (many people) have computers that they keep clean and follow needed specifications.

- Sometimes things just don't work, or stop to work (Clip Notes in CS3).

The funny thing is that I have CS3 and edit the video footage from my 7D natively without any problems whatsoever. OK, maybe not quite realtime playback without rendering the timeline, but pretty close. My PC is quite ordinary, Q6600 CPU, 4GB RAM, and 8800GT w/1GB RAM, no over-clocking or special treatments done.

The little extra funny thing is that if I apply MB Looks to my 7D footage, it gets to be more or less realtime playback, probably because Looks forces the GPU to be used.

Bottom line:

Whatever Adobe promises, you'll have to make sure you have the clean gear for it if you want it to work. Except for that, some just are lucky.

Dag