15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 9:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Label a CD

Pumbany Level 1

Does adobe premier elements 8 have a feature to label a CD? I can't seem to find it.

• 1. Re: Label a CD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER stick a label onto a CD or DVD. It can seriously damage both it and your disc player.

There are discs and printers that will inkjet onto your discs. Photoshop Elements includes, I believe, templates for making this type of labeling.

• 2. Re: Label a CD
            Pumbany Level 1

So I have to buy a separate printer to print a label onto a CD. It can not be done from the laptop right onto the CD?

• 3. Re: Label a CD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How would that be possible, Pumbany?

• 4. Re: Label a CD
                Pumbany Level 1

I thouight that a laptop could print something on a CD; but I am not sure; I thought there was something called lightscribe

• 5. Re: Label a CD
                  Pumbany Level 1

So I would need something like this a printer like this: http://www.amazon.com/Teac-11-printer-transfer-capacity/dp/B000COHN2M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s =electronics&qid=1271599232&sr=8-7

Please advise if this is good or something else is good.

• 6. Re: Label a CD
                    nealeh Level 5

You can print onto a disk with Lightscribe but you need to buy special media. If that is what you have then you can get the labelling software from http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/.

[EDIT] As Bill says further on you must also have a LightScribe compatible burner.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Message was edited by: nealeh Added [EDIT]

• 7. Re: Label a CD
                      nealeh Level 5

I have a Canon iP6700D and love it. It can print directly onto printable disks and comes with the software to do so. It's a few years old now but if you find one it really is a great printer - especially for photo printing.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Label a CD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Lightscribe is a name applied to both certain burner drives and to the special media used.

With most Lightscribe burners, there will a included printing utility on an installation disc. That utility would be used to "etch" to the front surface of the blank media. Neale has pointed to another utility, provided that your burner did not come with one.

First, do you have a Lightscribe burner?

Do you have Lightscribe media?

While some seem to like Lightscribe, others are not satisfied with the image, with the time required to do this and with th cost of the blank media.

I am very pleased with my Epson R-1900 printer for printing on Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden "printable" discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Label a CD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have used:

a. "the 5X never" Steve Grisetti paste on CD/DVD labels (provides labels in true color)

b. having a printer with a special tray for the option to print directly onto a CD/DVD disc (provides labels in true colors)

c. having a LightScribe enabled burner that came with LightScribe software so that an image could be burned to the surface of a LightScribe disc.(provides labels in tones of gold with contrasts)

I have never had a problem with "the 5X never" paste on labels. Labels look great and price is right. I am not advocating their use, but merely reporting on my experience with them.

The hardest challenge with the direct print of an image onto CD/DVD disc is getting your own image into the Library of the software supplied by the printer manufacturer so that you can proceed with the actual print on. After that, the process is quick and the disc label looks great. But, do not forget to factor in the cost of the disc + ink into printing that disc label. True, LightScribe offers a tonal, rather than an actual color, output and the process can take up to 30 minutes...no printer ink involved.  But, I would disagree that the cost of the required Inkjet Printable Disc is less expensive than the required LightScribe Disc. I have found them to be on a par with one another and, in the case of a DVD disc, have found both to be less available as well as equally expensive. In the case of the Inkjet Printable Disc, I had to bite the price bullet and settle for Verbatim White Inkjet Printable 50 count since I could not find anything less. I have found that the CD disc for Inkjet Printable and LightScribe are more readily available and frequently on special sale.

Of the 3.....I have run out of paste on labels, the printer with the Disc print on feature is new, and LightScribe tonal (non true colors) is there when I want the effect.....so right now I am using the printer with the Disc print on feature after mastering placing the images intended for Disc in the software Library.

ATR

• 10. Re: Label a CD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I think that the reason that I have never had trouble getting inkjet printable blank discs is that I buy my Taiyo Yuden DVD-5's by lots of 1000 and my Verbatim DVD-9's in lots of 500.

I have never done a price comparison between Lightscribe discs of comparable quality vs inkjet printables w/ cost of ink factored in. I have just never used Lightscribe discs, nor have I ever wanted to. Also, one must add the factor of time, between the two. I can print a full-color DVD on the R-1900 in about 40 sec., so can deliver 50 copies in very little time.

I have also never had an issue with the included Epson printing software. I have a DVD layout in PS, do my base artwork there, and then usually finish the layout in the Epson software, so that I can edit things like text font, size, and attributes. If I need more control, I just do the text and any additional artwork in PS, and output to a composited JPEG. Now, I do wish that the Epson software could Import PSD's, but a high-quality/low-compression JPEG works fine. I also wish that it had type-handling capabilities like PS, or even better, AI, though I am talking about software that costs as much as the R-1900. I'd gladly pay US$300 for an upgraded, and improved Epson printing utility, if only one was available. Still, with PS and AI on the same machine, I can handle things with my workflow.

Just some observations,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Label a CD
                              Pumbany Level 1

In the response above Steve Grisetti wrote:

As I say in my books, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER stick a label onto a CD or DVD. It can seriously damage both it and your disc player.

But you are saying that the stick on lables are ok.

So are stick on labels ok or are stick on labels not ok.

• 12. Re: Label a CD
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

There is open debate on the use of adhesive labels, especially for DVD discs, which spin faster, than do CD discs.

Some have experienced balance issues, while others never have.

Some have had the adhesive let go, causing major issues, but others never have.

Some tests indicate that the solvents in the adhesive can leach through the mylar substrate and degrade the dyes used to form the pits & lands. Others refute those tests.

The debate continues. Personally, I do not use the adhesive labels, but many do, and report zero issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Label a CD
                                  Pumbany Level 1

What about just a more old fashioned method of using a permanent black marker to write something onto the CD. This only costs $1 for the marker and is most cost effective. Has anyone experienced problems with this.

• 14. Re: Label a CD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not, but then have been doing inkjet printing for many years, so do not use a Sharpie® that often. In my case, I am delivering these discs to clients, so the printing is definitely part of the package.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Label a CD
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pumbany

Who gets these CD and/or DVD that you are creating? Clients, family and friends, or personal storage? Aside from that....

You wrote

".....old fashioned method of using a permanent black marker to write something onto the CD"

From what I have read it is not all that clear cut and dry. According to one source the answer is specifically Sharpie marker (specified for use on CD or DVD). The claim is that other marker inks eat into the plastic and create disc problems that make the disc useless. I have not been there and done that. I am only telling you what I read. Remember I am in the camp that says that paper labels work for me as well as the other types described in my earlier post here.

For your review, I am posting a link to one of the online links on this topic

http://www.supermediastore.com/article/u/how-to-dvd-cd-labeling-guide

The link is provided for informational purpose related to Disc labeling ONLY.

ATR