9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 10:47 AM by nano111

Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator

nano111

I'm using CS4 on a PC, however this problem dates back to Version 9 of Illustrator.

I link .tif files to Illustrator .eps files, so that if I make changes to the .tif, the Illustrator file will show the changes. I place the .tif on a layer, making sure that I've checked the box to "place" rather than "embed" the file. In the upper left corner of the top tool bar, I verify the link by seeing that the file is identified as "linked file". All is good. Now, I save the file, close it, reopen it, and presto, sometimes it has become an embeded file. When this happens, the toolbar will now read "Group." No attempts to replace or re-link the file will be successful. It is as though the file has been corrupted. The only solution I have found is to create a new file and start over.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do you do any adjustments, clipping masks, effects etc. on the linked file? If so, AI sometimes converts it to an embedded file to retain appearance, which is intended behavior, if it cannot do this on the "life" linked file. Especially working with spot colors can cause this, even when you add just one such element on top of the image and define it as overprint or knockout...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
            nano111 Level 1
            Thank you for answering.
            It happens with CMYK files. I haven't used a clipping mask. I routinely use the overprint feature on elements that are on a layer above the .tif, with no resulting problems. I always lock the .tif layer to prevent bad things from happening.
            But if you are saying that some kind of file conversion can happen automatically to "retain appearance", and that no warning or verification occurs, that is interesting. Do you know of a way to reverse this effect?
            • 3. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

One of the reasons why the tiff file may become embedded and more than likely the reason is there is a option in the eps saved dialog that is a bit misleading. The option is to include linked files which would seem to be saying yes you want the linked files to appear in the document but insteads means to embed them.

I will make a feature request on the feature and bug report page to have this wording change to embed linked images. So it is clear what the option actually does.

• 4. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I just filled out the form and made a feature request as such

In the "Save As" eps and ai options dialog there is an option that is titled "Include Linked Images" this is misleading to most users even experienced uses since this option embeds any linked image in the document.  It would be better to cut to the chase so to speak and simple title it to "Embed Linked Images"  The problem with the way it is currently worded is that it seems to mean that you want your link images to remain linked in the file. Quite the opposite of its intent and actual function.

You can find the form if you wish to change the wording here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 5. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                  nano111 Level 1

Wade,

Thank you, the wording change is good. However, I don't think that's what is going wrong on my files. The option to "Preserve links" is understandable.

Is there any way to change an embedded file to a link, without re-placing and then re-saving the file?

I will keep looking at options and see if I've inadvertantly clicked something on the .eps menu. I thought I ruled that out, but if you aren't getting a lot of complaints, it must be something I'm doing.

Thank you,

Jeannie

• 6. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

nano111 wrote:

Wade,

The option to "Preserve links" is understandable.

I don't know of this option where do you see it? If you are referring to include links that actually means to embed the link files and not to perserve tham as links.

Unless you are referring to an option I am not ware of where is this located, in what dialog?

• 7. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                      nano111 Level 1

After saving an .eps file with a linked file, a menu will pop up to prompt you one last time, before closing the file. There are 3 choices, plus an explanation. The choices are "Preserve links" "Embed file" or "Cancel". You have to pick one of these before the file will close.

• 8. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I haven't used eps format for a long time and do not recall that dialogbutyes that would indicate that you have not checked the "Include Linked Images" option.

Have you tried trashing your AI preferences?

• 9. Re: Problem retaining link to .tif file in Illustrator
                          nano111 Level 1

Yes, if that dialog box comes up, the file contains a linked file and it is OK. If dialog box does not appear, the file has defaulted somehow to embed the image.

My clients want .eps files, so I'm stuck with that.

But it's possible that I saved the file without noticing that somehow it defaulted to include the linked files. Then forever after, all copies of that file default that way. (I make a lot of copies to preserve the printer's ID tags).

It has to be something I'm doing without realizing it, and this is helpful. Thank you.