8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2007 11:52 AM by heathrowe

Slice & Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?

numbertwosuperguy Level 1
      So I've got a bunch of slices and hotspots and in each of their Properties I'm cutting and pasting the same 'link' into many of them, but they all have different 'targets'.
      I needed to change (as common maintainance) half of the links. But I didnt want to change the targets.
      I really thought I was going mad, but I worked out that Fireworks did some 'intelligent' thinking for me, and adjusted the target field according to the link.

How can I turn this 'inteligence' off?

...and can you hotfix this so that it does NOT change the target at all if I have already set it to something? What would be even more useful would be if the drop down target box showed all the targets used in the current document (and the intelligence only used if the target field was blank).

<begin_begging>I really believe this would be a tiny change to the program, but a massive reduction to my frustration</>
        • 1. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
          Level 7
          > How can I turn this 'inteligence' off?

Hmm.

You could start by not using FW to write your HTML. Build your graphics in
          FW and do your HTML in DW.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"numbertwosuperguy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fcqo9i$9jp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > So I've got a bunch of slices and hotspots and in each of their Properties
          > I'm
          > cutting and pasting the same 'link' into many of them, but they all have
          > different 'targets'.
          > I needed to change (as common maintainance) half of the links. But I
          > didnt
          > want to change the targets.
          > I really thought I was going mad, but I worked out that Fireworks did some
          > 'intelligent' thinking for me, and adjusted the target field according to
          > the
          > link.
          >
          > How can I turn this 'inteligence' off?
          >
          > ...and can you hotfix this so that it does NOT change the target at all if
          > I
          > have already set it to something? What would be even more useful would be
          > if
          > the drop down target box showed all the targets used in the current
          > document
          > (and the intelligence only used if the target field was blank).
          >
          >
          > <begin_begging>I really believe this would be a tiny change to the
          > program,
          > but a massive reduction to my frustration</>
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
            Are you saying that feature is useless??

Okay, now I have to confess:
            I've written an extension that exports the slice positions and sizes so I can merge them with an HD-DVD 'xmu' file (at first glances very similar to xhtml). The link, alt and target properties are easily accessible in the FW UI and I use these in my export & merge. I expect I'll be using them when I move on to Blu-ray too (and afaik Blu-ray doesnt have any kind of mark-up at all).
            So it would be really advantageous to me if these fields behaved themselves better.

I understand this feature may not be used much, but I think my suggestions relate to its intended use anyhow.
            • 3. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
              Level 7
              Yeah - pretty much.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"numbertwosuperguy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fcr4h9$rb9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Are you saying that feature is useless??
              >
              > Okay, now I have to confess:
              > I've written an extension that exports the slice positions and sizes so I
              > can
              > merge them with an HD-DVD 'xmu' file (at first glances very similar to
              > xhtml).
              > The link, alt and target properties are easily accessible in the FW UI and
              > I
              > use these in my export & merge. I expect I'll be using them when I move
              > on to
              > Blu-ray too (and afaik Blu-ray doesnt have any kind of mark-up at all).
              > So it would be really advantageous to me if these fields behaved
              > themselves
              > better.
              >
              > I understand this feature may not be used much, but I think my suggestions
              > relate to its intended use anyhow.
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
                Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: numbertwosuperguy

I've written an extension that exports the slice positions and sizes so I can merge them with an HD-DVD 'xmu' file (at first glances very similar to xhtml). The link, alt and target properties are easily accessible in the FW UI and I use these in my export & merge. I expect I'll be using them when I move on to Blu-ray too (and afaik Blu-ray doesnt have any kind of mark-up at all).
                So it would be really advantageous to me if these fields behaved themselves better.

I understand this feature may not be used much, but I think my suggestions relate to its intended use anyhow.

Hey thats cool numbertwosuperguy -

Take Murray's responses with a grain of salt. At the end of the day if it works, then it works. I'd like to see your extension sometime if you have time to give me a demo.

• 5. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
                  Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: numbertwosuperguy

Hey thats cool numbertwosuperguy -

Take Murray's responses with a grain of salt. At the end of the day if it works, then it works. I'd like to see your extension sometime if you have time to give me a demo.

• 6. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
                    heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                    numbertwosuperguy

the only way the 'intellegent' change occurred is if you had the Web Layer (in the Layers Panel) selected - which selects all slices- and not the individual Slice Layer.

Selecting the Web Layer and changing the target applies to all the slices.
                    h
                    • 7. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
                      Heathrowe, try this:
                      Create one hotspot/slice. Set it's Link to 'aaaa' and it's Target to '1111'.
                      Create a second hotspot/slice. Set it's Link to 'bbbb' and it's Target to '2222'.
                      Click between both and make sure they are 'aaaa'&'1111' and 'bbbb'&'2222' respectively.
                      Now change the first hotspot to have the same Link as the second (ie change 'aaaa' to 'bbbb'). Dont change the Target.
                      Now you should have the first one with 'bbbb'&'1111', the second with 'bbbb'&'2222', yes?

But hang on a second! The first one is now 'bbbb'&'2222'.
                      Magic. ...or witchcraft. You decide.
                      • 8. Re: Slice &amp; Hotspot Properties: How to turn off 'helpful' auto complete in Link field?
                        heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                        ah - I see it now.
                        Though it kindof makes sense what is happenening, because you already have the same link, it carries over the target for it.

To work around it, set the target to None, then choose a different target.
                        Though both slices/hotspots will have the same url, they now have different targets.

h