7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 1:26 PM by Ann Bens

Photoshop + Premiere

Freebs120

I'm working on a project with Adobe premiere, but I wanted to add something like a water mark to the top right corner. I made the icon in Photoshop and kept it saved as a PSD, so it would keep a transparent background. When I put it into Premiere, it shows up but its right in the middle of the screen. Is there a way to move it to the top right corner, or do I have to redo the icon the same size as my videos and move the icon to the corner in there?

Edit: I found a way to move it, but when I went to approve the changes, it says it'll take over an hour just to re-render the icon in the corner... Is this right?

• 1. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. Create your watermark in PS, with Transparency, and size as is required. Import into PrPro, and place on the Video Track above. Adjust the fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and Motion>Scale, and then the fixed Effect>Opacity, if necessary.

The Render time will depend on your source footage, your Project/Sequence Preset, your Duration and the speed of your computer. Can you give us details on those aspects, so we can help you whether that is normal Render time, or something odd is going on?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Create your watermark in PS, with Transparency, and size as is required. Import into PrPro, and place on the Video Track above. Adjust the fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and Motion>Scale, and then the fixed Effect>Opacity, if necessary.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Bill There is no reason to rely on Premiere to position, scale, and adjust opacity of a bug/watermark graphic when one has Photoshop at one's disposal.

Simply create a PS doc that matches your sequence's frame size and PAR (pixel aspect ratio), and create your bug/watermark in that document, transforming it as needed to position it for you purposes. So, if you're working with a DV sequence, you'd create a 720x480 .9091 PAR PS document--not something like 150x100 which might be the desired size of the bug. When you import the file into Premiere, you can simply overlay it on a video track above all your other tracks, and you won't need to modify the graphic's Motion properties at all. Yes, it will still take awhile to render, but it should be much faster than your original method of creating the bug at its final size, because Premiere does not have to recalculate position and opacity for each and every frame.

Richard Harrington, the Photoshop for Video guy, has a video podcast describing this technique here: 96 Making a Show Bug - Photoshop for Video. It's all good advice, but you can skip the part about creating an alpha channel and exporting as a TIFF file; there's no need to do that when you're working with Premiere since the original Photoshop document will work perfectly well, and will provide you with the capability of modifying the graphic and having it immediately updated in Premiere, with no re-exporting necessary.

• 3. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

If everything is perfect in PS, I agree with you. This is how I do it. I merely wished to point out that one can use the fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and even Motion>Scale, if necessary.

For critical sizing and placement, I'll do a Frame-cap of the Video, and bring it into PS as a "guide," just making sure to either Delete that Layer, or turn Visibility OFF, prior to Save_As PSD from PS.

No argument here. It is just that some would rather do a general Scale and placement in PS, and then use that PSD in PrPro, and "move" the bug around, as is required.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not saying you're wrong, Bill--just disagreeing (in a friendly manner, I might add) with you

You are absolutely correct, of course, and your methodology of importing a screen cap into PS for placement is a good one. I was just trying to address the OP's concerns over the lengthy renders he was experiencing when positioning a graphic in Premiere. That said, rendering might not even be necessary (usually isn't, of course), but without further details for the OP, we'll just chuck stuff at the wall until something sticks...

• 5. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
                  Freebs120 Level 1

Well I moved it in PrPro, and it looked great. I think from now on ill make the PSD the same size as my video. Thanks to both of you guys for the help.

• 6. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

I do much of my Title work in PS, and will usually start with the Video Preset that matches my Project when doing Ctrl+N (New Image). That gets me all the correct parameters and then just do my composite/editing in that.

Where possible, I try to get all dimensions and placement proper in PS, as I am not a big fan of the Scaling algorithms in PrPro. They work, but not so well as those in PS, and also for that type of work, PS offers more choices. Position is a bit less of a problem, but if I can keep that workload off of my NLE, it and I are happier.

In that respect, I agree 100% with Colin (just don't tell him please... ), and probably was not as clear, as I should have been, when throwing out the Effects>Motion, etc. in my first reply.

I also keep all in PSD and PrPro just loves those.

As an aside, one can also do long, scrolling Titles in PS, just by changing the Canvas Size (after the initial New Image setup), and doing the Title at up to 4000 pixels tall.

Second aside: because PrPro can Import Layered PSD's as a Sequence, to keep the Layers separate), this works for doing some really nifty Title animation, where each Layer is Keyframed separately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Photoshop + Premiere
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Getting the render time even more down, make the PSD file the same size as the watermark and flatten image.