14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 4:12 AM by Keano66

shooternz is ready to go - CS5

shooternz Level 6

O.K ...bring on CS5

Just had to tell you guys....shooternz is ready and rarin' to go.

Just took delivery of my purpose built CS5 machine and am I very , very excited.

Here is the detail: ( for those folks that know what this stuff means) - copied from my invoice .

Intel Core I7 930 2.8 GHz - Socket 1366 (8MB L3 cache)

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 1366  DDR3 - Sata II Raid Express Gate SLI +CrossfireX 2xGB Lan 8 Channel Sound 2 x 1394a ATX Motherboard

Team Dark DDR3 1600 6GB Triple Channel Kit (3x2GB)

Team Dark DDR3 1600 6GB Triple Channel Kit (3x2GB)

LEADTEK FX3800 NVIDIA QUADRO graphics card

Western Digital  300GB SATA2 Velociraptor HD (10,000rpm) - system drive

plus 3 x 1 TB HDDS - space for 5 more internals

24x DVD/CD  BENQ

Antec P183 Advanced Black Super MidTower (3 x variable speed fans)

550 w PSU

BENQ M2700HD Widescreen LCD  27 inch Monitor / 2ms / 50,000:1 Contrast

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM

• 1. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

Before you start building, I suggest you get at least a 750 W or better a 850 W PSU. The one you have now will not cut it.

My rule of thumb in calculating what wattage is needed, is to use this power supply calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine , then enter all the components in my system, overclock to the desired speed, add foreseeable extra disks of other expansions, set capacitor aging to 25 or 30 %, and calculate the required wattage at 100% load. The resulting figure I then round to the next higher that is common on the market. So for instance if the calculator gives you 697 W requirements, I start looking at either 750 or 850 W PSU's.

While entering your data, do not forget things like a 14 cm and a 12 cm fan on the CPU cooler if you go for the Noctua NH-D14.

Very important: Check very carefully the amperage on the various rails, especially the 12 V rail for the graphics card. Not all PSU's deliver what is needed on each of the verious rails

One general remark. The video card can get very hot when using all the CUDA cores. In general a mid-tower has limited cooling capability in comparison to a big-tower, so with CS5/MPE, it may well be better to only use big-towers because of the better airflow on the video card and the capability to install additional cooling fans in the case to improve the airflow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The case I bought is the Cooler Master Scout http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196 which has LOTS of fans pre-installed, plus I bought 2ea 120mm fans to mount in the side to blow fresh air on the cards & motherboard

My PS is the Corsair 850w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009 so that should be OK

I do NOT overclock, so even with a GTX 285 I think I'll be OK as far as cooling

• 3. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
              shooternz Level 6

Thanx Harm.

Points noted about PSU and I will have the guy check it. (and supply him with the calc link)

The case is a very large case for what they call a Mid Tower.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==

The components like the FX3800 are in a lot of space (its the only card in the box) and the fans at the moment are strategically placed.  I usually install a heat monitor in my systems and will do so in this machine as well. (Will keep an eye on it).

• 4. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Just a question: can you fit a "full-tower" case into the suite? I've found that most "mid-tower," even the ones with extra cooling and ventilation can still shove things together a bit much.

Just something to consider, and good luck - sounds like a fun box.

Hunt

• 5. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                  shooternz Level 6

Hey Bill

This case is so empty and so tidy ...that I could hold a small Wine and Cheese tasting event in it.

Seriously.  Its inside volume is 20 %  hardware and 80% air. It is 100mm taller and 25mmm wider than my CS4 box. (And thats a big box)

It has a HDD disk caddy type system into which I will probably add up to three more HHDS and thats it.  No more cards or anything else. internal.

I am seriously considering PSU as per Harms advice but meantime.... I am shaking down the machine and WIN7 until I install CS5.

Must admit....WIN7 is kind of challenging me a little at the moment!

• 6. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

I have not found any voltage and temperature data on the FX 3800, but if you look at the GTX-480, the idle temp is around 51 C and under load 94 C. These temps are high, so good cooling is an absolute must. The FX 3800 may not run that hot, but nevertheless...

Power consumption idle is 190 W and under load 479 W. Again these figures may differ for the FX 3800, but you can see that the PSU has to deliver a lot of juice.

Win7 is not all that different from Vista. That is why I still direct people to the tuning guide, that was written for Vista but largely still applies to Win7. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436139?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check out how many processes are running in your Win7, an untuned system will have about 70 processes running.  I take that down to mid 30's.  Then it is faster than Vista.

• 8. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                        joe bloe premiere Level 5

shooternz,

As you do your OS build/shakeout, I would be interested to know if you have any revelations

regarding what system defaults to alter or disable, what codecs/add-ons to have in place

pre-install of CS5, etc, etc.

I remember in another thread you had mentioned an interest in an "everything in one place"

basic OS optimization guide for CS5 (excluding of course device specifics).

I would be interested to know if you come across anything helpful to streamling the usual

install, find problem, re-install routine we have all been through.

Good luck, and happy building.

• 9. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                          shooternz Level 6

@Bill G

My brand new system is running 34 processes.  ( I have not even had time to take a look at what they are yet but I did have it built with a "minimal guff" request )

@Harm - I never had much to do with Vista except my sons machine.  I recognise the similarities and just have to get used to the stuff that differs from the very familar XP Pro stuff .

BTW: I am seeing my puter tech today and will discuss a PSU upgrade.  (seems like you cant have too much juice).

• 10. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5

RE: processes. That sound like they knew what they were doing.

• 11. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                              shooternz Level 6

This is the fifth system they have built me from the ground up and apart from some minor glitches...they have all been faultless at hardware level.

Fingers crossed on this one as well.

BTW: Three of the others are still in service productively and efficiently running CS2 thru' CS4 ...

...  I now intend to retire the CS2 system.  (Too much hardware to deal with for a non tech guy  like me)

• 12. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5

I just installed Windows 7 on another set of disks last night.  It now has 28 processes running.  When I have time I will publish my proceedure.

• 13. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                                  joe bloe premiere Level 5

Sweet!

I'm looking forward to reading.

• 14. Re: shooternz is ready to go - CS5
                                    Keano66 Level 1

Shooternz - I too have the Asus P6T deluxe V2 mobo and 12 gigs of Ram - Corsair ddr3 1333.  Have you had any experience of the Ram detection in Bios not reporting correctly? Sometimes my bios will find 12, other times it may find 10, 8 or 6 gigs or Ram! I have tried running the CPU -Z utility and it reports that there are 12 gigs of Ram installed.  Did you do anything in the Bios to tweak your system? Any help appreciated.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Intel I7 930

Corsiar 750w PSU