4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 10:20 AM by bringrags

Applying Pixel Bender Filters to MediaElements

kkonrad Level 1

Hi,

I want to apply a Pixel Bender Filter to an ImageElement. In general I do this like:

var shader:Shader = new Shader(new PBFilter() as ByteArray);

var filter:ShaderFilter = new ShaderFilter(shader);

var image:Image = imageElement as Image;

image.filters = [filter];

Now ImageElement doesn't support the .filters parameter. Are there any plans for this function in a future release of OSMF? Or are there different ways to apply a Pixel Bender filter? Thanks

• 1. Re: Applying Pixel Bender Filters to MediaElements
          bringrags Level 4

If you're working with the MediaPlayer, then you can assign the filter to the MediaPlayer's displayObject property once the image is loaded:

mediaPlayer.addEventListener(MediaPlayerStateChangeEvent.MEDIA_PLAYER_STATE_CHANGE, onStateChange);

mediaPlayer.media = imageElement;

function onStateChange(event:MediaPlayerStateChangeEvent):void

{

if (event.state == MediaPlayerState.READY)

{

mediaPlayer.displayObject.filters = [filter];

}

}

If you're working with the ImageElement directly (and no MediaPlayer), then you would need to access the element's DisplayObjectTrait, which holds the DisplayObject.

• 2. Re: Applying Pixel Bender Filters to MediaElements
            kkonrad Level 1

Thanks again for your help Brian. This works great on Image and Video Objects now. But what should I do when I work with a SerialElement for example and I just want to apply an effect on the second image of three dynamically? I tried to access the the MediaElement through serialMedia.getChildAt(0) but what I get is a VideoElement/ImageElement Object. I need a pure Image/VideoObject (as DisplayObject) with the filters property.

• 3. Re: Applying Pixel Bender Filters to MediaElements
              kkonrad Level 1

I just reused the functionallity of the MedieElementEffect class from the Transition-Example I found in the Blog. In the source code I added a Filter and removed the Fade.

• 4. Re: Applying Pixel Bender Filters to MediaElements
                bringrags Level 4

The DisplayObject will be null until the MediaElement is actually loaded and ready to display (which, for children of a SerialElement, usually doesn't happen until just before they're played/displayed).  So you'd need to add a listener for the DisplayObjectTrait being added to the child element:

secondChildElement.addEventListener(MediaElementEvent.TRAIT_ADD, onTraitAdd);

function onTraitAdd(event:MediaElementEvent):void

{

if (event.traitType == MediaTraitType.DISPLAY_OBJECT)

{

var displayObjectTrait:DisplayObjectTrait = event.target.getTrait(MediaTraitType.DISPLAY_OBJECT);

trace(displayObjectTrait.displayObject);

}

}

1 person found this helpful