5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 2:09 PM by kuradel

Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?

kuradel

Hello, I am a brand new convert from FP (since 1995), and I am having a hard time believing this will not work in DW.

Note, my site is configured: "Links relative to DOCUMENT" Note: the site is massive with thousands of files and hundreds of directories/sub/sub/sub directories.

On the page: "10mayBrown.htm" located at  :/rootsitename/dr/fmf/2010/10mayfmfKess.htm

I created a link on that page called Ron Kessler. I will then take that linked title and paste it into numerous pages in the site as called for.

Then, I copy that link (from the design view) from that page, and paste it onto another page (again in design view) off in another directory. (I have to copy that link and put it on no less than 9 DIFFERENT pages in different pages in directories all over the site).

However, when I paste the link into another page, located in another directory, the path does not change to reflect where it has been moved to.

I have added a link to the page on the MAY 2010.   

<a href="10mayfmf/10mayfmfKess.htm">Ron Kessler</a>  <---------PATH SHOULD BE

<a href="10mayfmfKess">Ron Kessler</a> <--------------INSTEAD IT READS:

I've added it to the FMF main menu:

<a href="2010/10mayfmf/10mayfmfKess.htm">Ron Kessler</a>  <---------PATH SHOULD BE

<a href="10mayfmfKess">Ron Kessler</a><--------------INSTEAD IT READS:

I've added it to the What's Inside menu:

<a href="../../dr/fmf/2010/10mayfmf/10mayfmfKess.htm">Ron Kessler</a>  <---------PATH SHOULD BE

<a href="10mayfmfKess">Ron Kessler</a><--------------INSTEAD IT READS:

Why is this happening? And how can I fix this?  I refuse to believe that each link has to be hand linked from the file view every time --- that the link cannot be simply copied and pasted from page to page... and have the links update with where they have been placed in the site.

Even lame FP did that effortlessly.   Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm on the fourth floor and the ground below is looking good!  LOL, JK!

Kuradel

• 1. Re: Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?
          martcol Level 4

I've never used this feature but maybe you need to save the link as a library item and then insert it where you want it?

Martin

http://bit.ly/d6ud7c

• 2. Re: Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?
            Ken Binney-GnPIX3 Level 4

Please post a link to a live page with the malfunctioning link.

In future, instead of cutting & pasting link paths, let DW manage the linking for you

• 3. Re: Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?
              kuradel Level 1

Please understand. I WANT<-------- DW to do the work for me. It's the fact that it's not that is concerning me.

Working with FP2003 (FP since 1995) and converting (kicking and screaming into DW).

I am a webmaster for a huge site. Hundreds of links go up every month to new content, plus, there are many links to archived content.

As I format work for the monthly update, I have a central, master page (let's call it "May 2010) that I paste all of the page titles of the new content for the month as a . Each one of course is linked to the feature.

When I add the links in to the various menus on the site, I go to the page of titles/links, then copy the link from that page, and paste it into the menu where it is going to appear.  The path for the link automatically adjusts the path of the link relative to where the link is placed anywhere on the site. Regardless of where the original link was from, and regardless of where you paste that link, FP automatically adjusted the URL.

Example... I have this master page of links (May 2010) saved in the root directory of my site.

Here is one link:

<a href="dr/dir/2010/10mayfmf/10maydir-int.htm">Text here</a>

This link is relative to /root/.

Now, if I copy that link from that page, and place it on another page in the site, say in a sub directory of a sub directory from the root folder, FP would AUTOMATICALLY change the path of the link as it applies to being placed on this page:

<a href="../../../dir/2010/10mayfmf/10maydir-int.htm">Text here</a>

See what I mean?  DW does NOT do this. Or at least I can't figure it out. What am I missing?

Kuradel

• 4. Re: Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?
                bregent Most Valuable Participant

I don't think DW will re-calculated the pasted links. Can you use site root relative instead?

• 5. Re: Link paths do not follow when copied and pasted in another page?
                  kuradel Level 1

Hello,

I set the site to relative to document, and relative to site with the same results.

Also..... LAMO... I have images that are shared on several pages... just like the links are.  When I copy an image from one page, and try to paste it into another page, the image is broken. DW cannot keep file paths intact when pasting from page to page. What the heck kind of "tool" is that?

I'm so disgusted with this product. Big bad DW.   I've spent double the time specifying links and images in today. I've wasted at least 2 hours time screwing around trying to get this to work. If I were a noob it would be a different story, but I'm not.

BAH!  BAH! And people laughed at FP.