17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 10:25 PM by Jumanous

Really 12 Hours?

Shanghai Six Level 1

I've got a 1GB h264 file from a Hauppage 1212 HD recorder for some 360 video capture.  It's about 15 minutes in length, so I was trying to use Adobe Media Encoder as suggested in an earlier question to use with After Effects for watermark and different effects.

I change it to a .mov file, 720x480 and click render to have it tell me it's going to take 12 hours to grind it out.

1) Is this standard?

2) Is there an easier way to take HD recordings and encode them into a format where they can be viewed on Youtube without sacrificing too much quality?

3) I'm trying to get the video to 200 MB so I can post it to 4share and let the REAL video guy tinker around with it. 

I'm losing my mind here; I don't know what I'm doing, but it's not exactly the most user friendly software in the world either.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Really 12 Hours?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us some clue as to the machine that you are running this on? That would be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Really 12 Hours?
            Shanghai Six Level 1

Hmmm...older machine.  2GB of RAM, XP Home SP3, 256MB graphic card It WAS my gaming rig four years ago, but now it's my backup machine. 

• 3. Re: Really 12 Hours?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

How many HDD's, what is their size, speed, free space, controller type and how are they allocated?

With an underpowered rig, that Export time might not be out of line. You might want to run the PrPro Benchmark and see where the machine comes in regarding real-world performance.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                Shanghai Six Level 1

What about CS3? I see a version PBPM+ for CS2 and PBPM4 for CS4, but no sign of 3.

Also, single hard drive, 186 GB of space out of 270 free.

I went back in to run this on my newer machine (still two years old), quality set to 100, 720x480, Quicktime .mov with a Apple PNG codec, as suggested by another member in a different question.  MUCH better speed, looks like it will take 1 minute per percent (about 100 minutes).  Beats the dog snot out of 12 hours.

• 5. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry I did no know that you had CS3. The CS2 (PrPro 2.) Project should Open fine in CS3.

Glad that a more stout machine made a big difference. That is usually the limitation in Exporting - the computer, though the Export CODEC/format, and Effects play a big role too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                    Shanghai Six Level 1

Great.  It freakin took a 1 GB file and turned it into 4.5 GB. 

I'm trying to decrease a file's size;  that was a .mov file at 100% quality, 720x480 using Apple PNG for audio.

What settings should I set it for on Adobe Export---> Adobe Media Encoder from the h.264 file to make it managable without sacrificing too much quality?

• 7. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

File size is determined by the Export Frame Size, Bit-Rate and the CODEC used. Can you refresh my memory on your Export specs., and what your Project Preset is?

It's like when one takes an MPEG-2 file and Exports it as DV-AVI - size goes through the roof.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                        Shanghai Six Level 1

Video is a .MP4 originally, at 1280x720, 60 fps, 13:30 long, comes it at just over 800 MB.

Going into Export Settings for Premiere:

Format: QuickTime

Range: Entire Sequence

Preset: Custom (?) (OKAY, the settings have changed from my original)

Export Video and Audio Checked, Open in Device Central greyed out

Summary 160x120, 30 fps Progressive, 24 bit color

Linear PCM, 32 khz, Stereo

Manually went in and changed Video Codec to Apple PNG as suggested.

Quality increased from 50 to 100

Frame Width changed from 160 to 720.

Frame Height changed from 120 to 480.

Framerate (Custom) at 29.97

Field Order: None (Progressive)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels

Bit Depth: 24 Bit color.

PLEASE ADVISE.  Which of these do I need to adjust to keep a quality produc while keeping the video under 200 MB, which is the maximum I can use to send to my REAL video guy for editing.  Tell me the exact settings I need to set.  What codec should I use?  WHich quality level is acceptable?

• 9. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          Which of these do I need to adjust to keep a quality produc while keeping the video under 200 MB, which is the maximum I can use to send to my REAL video guy for editing.

A REAL video guy will refuse to handle that heavily compressed and uneditable stuff. Send the source material on a data DVD.

• 10. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Harm. Send the original material. If using Fed-X, or similar is not an option, then look into a service, like YouSendIt, where you can upload the 800MB file, and let the editor download that to work with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                              Shanghai Six Level 1

Okay, pretend I said nothing about another guy.  I still need help with exact settings on how to break down a video from the full size to a managable size for digital distribution.

• 12. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Only do that after you have finished editing,

• 13. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That will depend on what your deliver scheme is: YouTube, a Web-site of your design, or the design of others, etc. That delivery scheme will get you started, and then you can tweak the parameters, per the end use. It could be H.264, FLV, a packaged SWF, WMV, or maybe a DivX compressed file. Each has pluses and minuses, and some will work in one case, but not in another, so you need to define what you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                    Shanghai Six Level 1

The end state is to put the video up on Youtube.  Thanks guys, keep up the info.

• 15. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Many have had good results with WMV's, while some have had issues with H.264. You might want to look into the WMV Export settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                        Shanghai Six Level 1

Back again, playing around with Youtube.  I've got a six minute video I've tinkered around with in After Effects and am now trying to export a final cut through Premier.  I have been having a lot of success with Export- Adobe Media Encoder- Quicktime for the settings, and using Animation for the codec.  However, this file is too big for that level of quality.

I tried using WMV, but it took a 6 GB final product and whittled it down to a 16 MB file.  While the file was suprisingly not terrible for that level of compression, you still couldn't read the text on the screen when played back. 

I'm currently trying QT + Animation at 50% with 720x480, but there has to be an easier way to do this.  I see crystal clear, 10 minute videos from the big guys and I'm just not getting how it's possible.

Thanks again for all your help!

• 17. Re: Really 12 Hours?
                                          Jumanous Level 1

2 good options:

Divx (only 10 bucks atm I think)

or Badaboom - great if you have an nvidia cuda card. (30 bucks I think)

With either of those you can specify the exact size.  Badaboom encodes using GPU and seems to be slightly more consistent than Divx as far as quality goes, but I use both a fair bit, depending on what I'm doing.

I'm guessing your pc is in severe need of an upgrade.  Video encoding brings even the most powerful machines to their knees at the best of times... it is probably one of the most intensive tasks that a computer can perform... so yeah.. if an old gaming machine takes 12 hours to encode a video, then you shouldn't be surprised.

To give you an idea, I just upgraded my quad core machine with 8GB of ram to a 6 core with 24GB of ram, cause it was way too slow encoding (amongst other things).  That said, DivX and badaboom will be faster than premiere.. but more lossy.