9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 11:45 AM by the_wine_snob

B&W to color???

jmarkt

In CS3, can you start a video off in B&W, where (for example) a golfer would be totally silhouetted in black, then fade to color?  The idea would be to see if the golfer could be identified in his setup/backswing before a full color scene is shown of his swing completion.

Thanks for any help, ideas or input!

• 1. Re: B&W to color???
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Plenty of ways to do this, but here's one: use Color Balance (HLS) and animate Saturation from -100 to whatever.

• 2. Re: B&W to color???
            the_wine_snob Level 9

My vote is Jeff Sluman!

I'd go with Colin's suggestion on this.

Hunt

• 3. Re: B&W to color???
              jmarkt Level 1

Thanks, Colin.  Didn't realize it would be as simple as that!

• 4. Re: B&W to color???
                jmarkt Level 1

Hunt - I prefer the Senior Tour as well!!!!

• 5. Re: B&W to color???
                  jmarkt Level 1

Hi Colin - This doesn't quite accomplish the effect I am after.  I want only the golfer in the picture to begin as a silhouetted solid black figure, while the surrounding background has normal color.  Then, gradually fade the color of the golfer from black silhouette to normal.  I can figure out how to do this with a static picture in PhotoShop, but don't have a clue how/if this can be accomplished with video in PPro 2??  I now realize my heading of "B&W to color" was misleading.

• 6. Re: B&W to color???
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need to pull a Key for the golfer. Since the shot was done on a full-color background, this will be time consuming, and AE is probably the best program to use. It will still take time, as you will working without benefit of a green-screen. Once the Key is done, you would Invert that, and then apply the Effect, animated over time, to the golfer. Basically, it's exactly the same as doing an intricate Mask in PS, but for each Frame, and that is where AE will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: B&W to color???
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This TUTORIAL for AE CS5 might be just the ticket for you.

Rotoscoping just got easier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: B&W to color???
                        jmarkt Level 1

Thanks, Bill, and I get it.  This will be a tedious project, inasmuch as I will eventually have about 50 golfers in varying backgrounds.!  The good news is I don't have to have the project completed until October!!!

Thanks again for the quick replies and help.

• 9. Re: B&W to color???
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and that RotoBrush in AE CS5 looks very, very useful. In the "old days," one had to Export as a Filmstrip, Import that into PS, create a Mask for each Frame, and do the work there, at a minute level. AE improved things, but now it looks like they have REALLY improved things. For just one Rotoscoping Project, I think that it might pay for itself in one of the suites.

Hunt

PS - now one thought would be to shoot each golfer against a green screen/cyc, and just put them over either a still, or motion video of the course. Once you pulled that easy Key, you would also have the Alpha Channel (Mask), so you could do exactly what you want. If you're talking 50 club members, it would be easy. If you are talking 50 gentlemen from the PGA - well, forget it.