3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2007 7:01 AM by headtowall

Search field

headtowall
      Q: I have a client who wants the ability for a web site visitor to be able to enter a specific pre-defined code (ie 23) into a text field box and subit with a button. The visitor is then taken to a specific page in the site tied to that code entered.

So after entering 23 in the text field, they are taken to a page titled say "About Us". The idea is designed to take visitors to deeper pages in a site when speaking to a live sales rep.

Can anyone tell me how to do this in Dreamweaver. Sounds almost like a zip code locator functionality.

THX for your help!
        • 1. Re: Search field
          Level 7
          you need to use some server-side language to do this (i.e. PHP, ASP.net,
          ColdFusion). Using PHP (for instance) you can set the action of your form
          to "file.php" and then in that file, you can use $_POST (or $_GET) to see
          what values where posted to your form. Based on those values you can display
          different info. If this is starting to get confusing than you need to read
          up on server-side languages first to get your bearings

Dont forget to check with the hosting provider to see what they support

Alex

"headtowall" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fb4i8i$lkv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Q: I have a client who wants the ability for a web site visitor to be able
          > to
          > enter a specific pre-defined code (ie 23) into a text field box and subit
          > with
          > a button. The visitor is then taken to a specific page in the site tied to
          > that
          > code entered.
          >
          > So after entering 23 in the text field, they are taken to a page titled
          > say
          > "About Us". The idea is designed to take visitors to deeper pages in a
          > site
          > when speaking to a live sales rep.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me how to do this in Dreamweaver. Sounds almost like a zip
          > code locator functionality.
          >
          > THX for your help!
          >

• 2. Re: Search field
            bregent Most Valuable Participant
            >you need to use some server-side language to do this (i.e. PHP, ASP.net, ColdFusion).

That would be the most reliable, but you could do it with client side javascript also.
            • 3. Re: Search field
              headtowall Level 1
              how would you do it by java if you don't mind the reply. I guess I'm looking for the easiest way possible. I'm not a deeply skilled developer. In all it soinds like a zip code locator, (entering a pre-defined set of numbers, clicking submit, then it takes you to a results/specific page)

Thanks!