6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 7:19 PM by Steve Grisetti

Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?

chucktheweevil Level 1

I have been trying to avoid Sony PMB to download my AVCHD vido from my HDR-XR500, and use PE8 as i have with all my previous video cameras - so I can manage the footage with my pictures.

i have downlaoded the latest patch from Adobe, 8.01. I open Premier Elements, Click get Media, AVCHD video, it scans the camera for a second and then posts the Error message " Adobe Media Downloader has encountered a problem and needs to close"

In reading through links to older posts, people who have Sony HD cameras have faced the same thing. In contacting one person who experienced the issue in November, he gave up and no longer stores his video on PE8 - he uses the sony PMB - totally defeating the purpose of a single managed catalog.

If any one has a Sony camera out there that has gotten it to work, I would be pleased to hear from you.

I have Windows 7, 64 bit, 9GB ram, oodles of HDspace, ATI graphics and anything else you need to know will provide.

If Adobe employees are listening, I would greatly appreciate the help or logging the issue as a need to fix for next release. in the mean time, I'm piling up videos with no where to go but DVD.

'

Thanks -

chuck

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?
          chucktheweevil Level 1

I gave it some thought overnight - I chanegd project setting to HD capture - still no luck.

In reading posts on HDR-XR500 I see other issues. Will CS4 or Premier Pro work for me if I can't get PE8 to? Will I be able to add .avi and .m2ts to same project if one is HD and other is not?

Thaks -

Chuck

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Adobe virtually never responds to posts on this forum, Chuck. In fact, they pretty much leave us alone here.

Your issue may be related to Windows 7 64-bit, which seems to be giving Premiere Elements users a lot of grief.

Have you tried just using Windows Explorer to move your AVCHD files from your camcorder to your hard drive? That would tell you whether the problem is with Premiere Elements or with something going wrong on your system.

If you are able to move the files to your hard drive and still aren't able to use Get Media to move it into a Premiere Elements project then, yes, it is possible that upgrading to Adobe's professional software could be solution.

On the other hand, if you are not able to even make a connection to your camcorder with Windows, your issue is system related and upgrading the software won't likely resolve anything.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?
              chucktheweevil Level 1

Thanks Steve - I will try.

I just spoke to a colleaugue of mine who uses Premier Pro and a Canon HD camcorder (AVCHD format) and she can't import the images either. She uses Canon's software to manage the library, then takes content out of that and converts to MPEG-2 and imports into Adobe. (Degrading the image!)

It seems like Adobe missed a link somewhere with the AVCHD format. The old tape camcorder worked great ... imported clips, dated them correctly, and had no problem inthe Organizer. It looks like HD gives a beautiful picture, but as far as editing goes, it doesn't look like "I can get there from here". Either waste a lot of time, reducing a high quality image, rename it, import and use it - or just burn the content directly from the camcorder to a disc - a real creative waste for a 1000 dollar camera.

In the meantime, I'll try the work around import but does anybody have the ear of the developers? or 3rd party?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?

Chuck, there should be no need to convert the video to anything, if your Premiere Elements project is set up for AVCHD and your computer is powerful enough to work with that format.

Just use Windows Explorer to move the video over a USB connection from the camcorder to your hard drive and then Get Media to put that video into your AVCHD Premiere Elements project.

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?
                  chucktheweevil Level 1

Thanks Steve - that worked. The Files imported are now .mts files - and saves me a lot of time converting.

All I need to do is let the program conform the files after importing, roughly about 1 minute per GB looks like.

Now the only thing I have to figure out is "why the thumbnail won't display in the Organizer" or what i can do to get the first frame to display so i can see what the file is before clicking it.

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Downloader failed - systemic Sony HD compatability?

In many cases this is fixed by downloading the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com.