7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 4:25 AM by Jeff Bellune

1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?

elneptico Level 1

I am about to buy cosumer camera Sony HDR CX350ve. It records in AVCHD 1080 50i footage. I am in big doubt because of this interlaced scaning and all of discussions about film-like or no film like look. What it is all about?

How Premiere CS4 deals with 50i during editing? When i will see artifacts? What is the best way to convert to progressive scanining?

What i will see on 1080p LCD? Is this interlaced scaning really worse than progressive?

I really like this camera but I don't want to regret buying it while editing footage. Please help.

• 1. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If the camera is interlaced, keep the output interlaced, unless you want to throw away half your vertical resolution.

Progressive with NOT make interlaced material look like film. That is a fable. It only results in stuttering, but a lot of people consider that a filmic look. My advise is to only use progressive on progressive cameras with at least 1/2" or larger sensors, and even then only 30P or 24P. Thanks to Sony and others there is no 25P for PAL users.

The filmic look comes from DOF, DOF, lighting, primes and dollies, DOF and lighting and can still be wrapped in interlaced streams.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you want the "film look" from your interlaced video, check out my dv2film tutorial here:

BDVS Tutorials

Also, in CS4, if you export with Maximum Render Quality checked you won't lose half your resolution if you export as progressive.  But MRQ requires much longer render times.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?
              elneptico Level 1

What will happen when I keep interlaced output and watch rendered footage on 1080p LCD?

What will happen during editing time remapping in to low speed or high speed 1080 50i?

What is all about those artifacts? I thought that during editing in premiere in some specific situations i will experience unpleasant artifacts like non matching lines or something?

Jeff your tutorial will be very helpfull in my nearest future.

• 4. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Nothing worth mentioning. But let's be practical, many users only edit and export interlaced material, you have no way to export to 25P on BRD or DVD, PC players like VLC or MPC automatically correct interlaced material for display on a progressive monitor, just as flatscreen TV's do.

Jeff's tutorial is great in NTSC land, but not in PAL land to introduce that "Filmic / Stuttering" look. The software solution is the best approach in NTSC land to create the stutter, not here. IMO even a software solution is only a band-aid, and does interpolate between fields to create a frame which will always entail mathematical inaccuracies and errors. If the information is not there, you can't create the information in post. So it will by definition look softer than the original. Converting i material to P will work reasonably nice on static shots, but not on fast moving shots or fast pans.

• 5. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?

Converting i material to P will work reasonably nice on static shots, but not on fast moving shots or fast pans.

To be fair, even if you film fast moving shots or fast pans at 24p in-camera, you'll get lousy results as well.

Jeff's tutorial is great in NTSC land, but not in PAL land to introduce that "Filmic / Stuttering" look

In my recently revised tutorial, I discuss changing parameters in the dv2film function that will turn PAL 50i to 24p instead of just the default 25p.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?
                    elneptico Level 1

Thanks very much that clears my mind a bit Where I can find tutorial like jeff did for PAL land?

Oh yeah! Please now you have to make it. That kind of tutorial is essential to me and many PAL users!

• 7. Re: 1080 50i disadvantages and editing problems?

elneptico wrote:

Thanks very much that clears my mind a bit Where I can find tutorial like jeff did for PAL land?

Oh yeah! Please now you have to make it. That kind of tutorial is essential to me and many PAL users!

Near the end of the dv2film tutorial, I discussed the parameters necessary for PAL users.

-Jeff