13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Pan & Zoom in PRE7

Sterculias Level 1

I have Photoshop Elements7 and Premiere 7 and I have a few basic questions.

I prefer the pan & zoom effects in PSE7 over the presets in PRE7 when I make DVD slide shows.

I don't like the black box effect surrounding the image when zooming in PRE7 so is it possible to duplicate the PSE7 effect in PRE7?

Is there any "ideal" image size when importing my images?  I understand the final image size would be 720 x 576  for a PAL system.

I note PRE7 manual states it can handle up to 4096 x 4096 pixels but I think that would use up an incredible amount of space on the DVD however as I understand it providing the files are in PSD format PRE7 will size them automatically to 720 x 576 for the PAL system.  To allow for upsizing in a zoom I would need to have the image sizes say 1200 x 800.

Are my assumptions correct?

Regards,

Doug.

• 1. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
          nealeh Level 5

The general recommendation is to resize images to no more than 1000 x 750, so you are not far off the mark with 1200 x 800.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know about your manual, but my books recommend you keep your images no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size. 4096x4096 would likely stop all but the most powerful computers right in their tracks -- and even if it did work, the program would likely choke during output to DVD.

So trust me. Keep it at 1000x750 or smaller.

There are a number of ways to do pans and zooms in Premiere Elements, so I'm not sure what you're comparing when you say pan & zoom effects vs. pan & zoom presets.

The presets are set up for various sizes of photos, as can be determined by the names of the preset For instance the 920x1280 Zoom In preset will work perfectly with a 920x1280 pixel photo. If you match the photo sizes with the preset you won't get a black box around the outside.

But the best way to get good, custom pans & zooms is to use keyframing.

I cover keyframing in my books -- and show you some advanced tricks with keyframing in my new "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe Premiere Elements." I've also got a Steve's Tips article "Basic Keyframing PDF" you can download from the Muvipix.com site for free. I also cover it in my free "Basic Training with Premiere Elements" tutorials.

Finally, if you prefer to use presets, I've got a set of free presets made to fit perfectly with 1000x750 pixel presets. Instructions on how to use these presets are included with the download.You can download it here.

http://Muvipix.com, by the way, is a great resource for learning and mastering this program!

• 3. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
              Sterculias Level 1

Thanks for that Neale I will stay with that.  The Adobe online manual does

get a little confusing.

Regards,

Doug.

• 4. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                Sterculias Level 1

Thanks for that Steve.  The info I quoted is straight out of the PRE7 online

manual and that is why I questioned the info. Adobe says one thing and the

users say otherwise or am I misreading Adobe.  Your opening sentence

verifies one of my concerns about file size and DVD.  Please note I am not

trying to contradict you or anyone else it's just my confusion.  LOL

Your comment about matching the image size to the preset is duly noted

however I didn't get the black border in PSE7 slide show, maybe I was

expecting to see the same in PRE7.

Anyway thanks again and I will look for a copy of your book and also follow

up on your links.

Regards,

Doug.

• 5. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

There is a great deal of difference between the max still image dimensions that PrE can handle (4096 in the largest dimension) and what works best. This ARTICLE will first give you some background on still image sizes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                    Sterculias Level 1

Thanks for that Bill, I will follow on that link.

Doug.

• 7. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                      Sterculias Level 1

Bill, I just looked at your link about your workflow and I am doing the same

thing RAW to DNG then archive these for future use then DNG to PSD.  I only

ever use JPG as required because there is no going back once the file is

saved as such.  I use CS3s  Image Converter which automates resizing similar

to your Batch file.

Question time.

Do you resize the PSDs to say 720x480 and then bring the PSD into Premiere,

ie. all your files in Premiere are PSDs?  The file size would still be

around 1 mb or a bit larger, this is not too big?

We use PAL here in Australia so do I just resize my 3008 x 2000 images to

720 x 576  or the next size up for pan & zoom and leave them in their native

PSD format?

Cheers,

Doug

• 8. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The FAQs to the right of this forum should answer your questions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

Yes, I just keep everything in PSD format, and do a Save_As PSD for my working files, say with Adjustment Layers, etc., and then usually Flatten, change Mode to 8-bit, Scale, Flatten and then keep that resized file in PSD for Import. Yes, they are larger than compressed JPEG's, but the quality is better to my eyes.

For PAL, one has to "do the math," as you have done. I listed the NTSC sizes, as that is what I use. It's the same for HD Projects, one would Scale to those Frame Size dimensions.

If I need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, I will Scale up a bit, to just what I need. Often, people do not want to take the time to calculate the needed pixels, so they choose a slightly larger size that should accommodate the animation. A few pixels here, or there, should not make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but I like to keep things simple and neat, so Scale to what I actually need. I might end up with 98% of my stills Scaled to the exact Frame Size, then a few variations, for animation, but I want the control of doing it myself, rather than letting PrE/PrPro do it. Even with features like Scale to Frame, I like to feed my NLE exactly what I need and what it wants.

Happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                            Sterculias Level 1

Thanks for that Steve.

Doug.

• 11. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                              Sterculias Level 1

Thanks Bill, I will go with yours and Steves recommendations.

Many thanks for your help,

Regards,

Doug.

• 12. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                                Sterculias Level 1

Thanks Bill, I will stay with yours and Steves recommendations.  I'll crop

images where I have plenty of room in the image to avoid distortion and the

others I can resize them in CS3.  When I have done  a straight resize it is

almost impossible to see any distortion in landscapes anyway, maybe with

geometric shapes it would be more obvious.

Kind regards,

Doug.

• 13. Re: Pan & Zoom in PRE7
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and good luck with the re-Scaling in PS. For me, it works a treat.

Hunt