7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 3:47 AM by Jacob Bugge

pdf max size

plvb Level 1

hello again madame et monsieur

i use to scribble everywhere out of my (800x600 pix) artbord (up to the edge of all) for some idiots raisons i have to save in PDF but it seems there is a limited size for the page. what is the best way to do it for saving all, one of my bleeding ai.file, in one pdf?

merci encore

• 1. Re: pdf max size
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The maximum size of any AI document is 22.5x22.5", no matter how many artboards are defined inside that area. It is highly unlikely, though, that any of your problems are related to that. Contents outside the artborad wil lsimply be clipped away when saving to PDF.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: pdf max size
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's actually 227 inches by 227 inches. Or just shy of 19 feet.

• 3. Re: pdf max size
              plvb Level 1

many thanks for your replies

i notice what is out the artboard is also out the pdf so why i need to increase all the page for saving it in pdf and how i see it's not possible cause then i see pdf has a limited area, i got just an error msg on size but no indication given on the max ones

so i will try what you give me.

btw perhaps you have another good idea to give.

all this procedure is needed for a copyright.gov deposit cause they dont accept .ai, but pdf and also psd, i have some huge scribble like that..i dont know what is the simple procedure and the better for the size of the file in keeping the best definition (you are limited on size/depot  on copyright.gov)..i though pdf was the best compromise, perhaps not

well well well i reread myself and am not sure to be quite clear, anyway merci again

• 4. Re: pdf max size
                mec_os Level 3

i'm confused.

by size do you mean print size? or file size?

if there are no raster images in the document, print size shouldn't affect file size. also print size shouldn't affect definition if it's a vector graphics.

when you save as pdf, select smallest file size or tuen off illustrator capabilities and layers. if you need to reduce the file size further, open it in acrobat professional and go to Document/reduce document size (it may be called something else).

in the government.gov website, their file limit is based on your connection speed. you can upload very large files if you have a fast connection. they cut you off at 30 minutes. so pretty much what you can upload in that time goes.

• 5. Re: pdf max size
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

plvb,

If I understand it in the right way, the issue/problem being that the artwork goes beyond the borders of a 800 x 600 px Artboard and presuming your File>Document Setup has px as unit, you may select everything (Ctrl+A or Cmd+A) and then, using the Transform palette/panel:

1) Set the Reference Point (to the left) to Center;

2) Divide the W value by a suitable number so it gets below 600px and press Ctrl+Enter (Cmd+Enter) to retain proportions (dividing by X is done by adding /X after the current value);

3) If the H value is more than 800px, divide it by suitable number so it gets below 800px and press Ctrl+Enter (Cmd+Enter) to retain proportions.

That will bring your complete artwork inside the Artboard so it will be included in the PDF. It does not matter whether it consists of vector and/or raster (vector is infinitely scalable, and raster will just have its resolution increased).

• 6. Re: pdf max size
                    plvb Level 1

gotcha it's exactly what it is about hombre Jacob

as i am not very familliar with consultation of drawing on pdf, and as i know it's vectorial all the same

i wonder if the size of the artbord has some importance for the ease of the consultation for the guy of the copyright.gov (cause each digital-depot on copyright gov must to be check by a guy who verify..i dont know what he veryfie but he must see what it is all about your depot)

so my problem is to be the more "standard" as possible for him for the ease of his consultation of my stuff.

anyway i am impress by the effort you do for understanding me & i am gratefull and thank you again

• 7. Re: pdf max size
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are welcome, plvb.

as i am not very familliar with consultation of drawing on pdf, and as i know it's vectorial all the same

i wonder if the size of the artbord has some importance for the ease of the consultation for the guy of the copyright.gov (cause each digital-depot on copyright gov must to be check by a guy who verify..i dont know what he veryfie but he must see what it is all about your depot)

I believe they are used to different formats, but you may try to set the Artboard to A4 or Letter and see whether the artwork still fits in either of these standard formats (A4 is a bit narrower than 600pix, and Letter is a bit shorter than 800pix; pix is not really the right term to use, but in this context you may say that 1pix = 1pt (Point = 1/72 inch).