5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 11:08 AM by the_wine_snob

extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project

Chet Hedden Level 1

I am trying to remove some short sections from 4 different projects (both picture and sound) and reassemble them in a new project. I have tried this by selecting and copying the sections I'm trying to remove then opening a new project and pasting the sections in it, thus creating a new project containing just the section I removed. I did this for all the parts I want to reassemble. Then I create another new blank project and import the sub-projects I created that contain just the previously copied sections. The problem is that when I then assemble the sub-projects on the timeline of the new blank (master) project, even though all the elements are there, including the picture, the *sound* is missing from the audio tracks. All the settings for those tracks appear, and the project window shows that everything is there, but the audio tracks on the timeline are blank. Rendering does not improve the situation. Exporting each of the new projects to AVI first and then importing results in a squeezed image (not 16:9, even though the export settings are 16:9).

• 1. Re: extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to do a Save_As of your original Project. Increment or change the name. Delete all Assets that are not needed on the Timeline. To clean the Bins (Project Panel), Remove Unused can Delete your unused Assets from the Project Panel). There you go - your new, combined Project with only the Assets that you need. Do a Save.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project
            Chet Hedden Level 1

Thanks, Bill.

For the first example, I am removing 45 seconds from a 43 minute video. I was able to remove everything except the 45 seconds I want from the timeline (with difficulty), but after selecting "remove unused" in the project menu, nothing changed except now the "remove unused" option is ghosted. The assets remain untouched, however.

Chet

• 3. Re: extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chet,

If you have one large Source Clip, and only have a small instance of it, the link to the large Source Clip will be unchanged.

That physical Clip is not in your PRPROJ file, but is only linked to, so it does not affect anything, regarding size.

If you have to pare things down to just that instance of the Clip, you could then Export to an intermediate file, say with the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, and then just Import that resultant file into a new Project. Again, in the PRPROJ file, there will only be a link to that intermediate file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project
                Chet Hedden Level 1

Yippee it worked! I was able to remove the remaining assets from the complex project (it had a lot of split screen and many sub-projects), then I followed your formula for the rest of the sub-projects (the "remove unused" worked with the less complex projects). Imported the stripped down, newly saved versions into the new master project and everything's fine. Wish there was a simpler way to do this, but 3rd-5th graders who will be viewing these samples of my work will be happy that you could help me do this. I am too. Thanks much.

Chet

• 5. Re: extract clips from several projects and reassemble clips in a new project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chet,

Great news. There are a few other methods, but I do not think that any are quite as direct, nor as clean.

One fairly simple workflow is to create another Sequence, edit your original, as is required, the Ctrl+C (Copy) just the Trimmed Clip(s), necessary, switch to the new Sequence, Target the appropriate Tracks, position the CTI, probably at 00;00;00;00, and hit Ctrl+V (Paste). This gives you an additional Sequence in your Project, and you can Export that, to suit your delivery scheme.

Good luck, and lucky students!

Hunt