19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 2:10 PM by cristinel@adobe RSS

Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

mrsdesignsherman Community Member

I have set up about 20 accounts using InContext editing, and had success each time when creating the editable regions in Dreamweaver. However, on the last 2 sites that I set up, I create the editable regions in Dreamweaver and upload all of the files to the FTP. Then, when I try to edit the pages using InContext, there are no editable regions, so I have to manually add them.

With the most recent site, I want to now add another editable region, but can't do so through Dreamweaver and I don't know how to add additional editable regions through the InContext editor. I have tried removing the regions and then putting them back in with no success.

I hope that you can help me figure this out! Thank you in advance for your time!!

I can't wait to try this on Business Catalyst. I suspect that it will be much smoother!

• 1. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.
          Tommy Logic Community Member

OMFG!!!!

If this isn't a PAID for Post, I've never seen one before. Nice touch, guys!!!

let me explain something to the rest of you who may not be understanding the dynamics of this whole situation.

#1 ALL the problems you are experiencing with InContext is due to your current Hosting Providers server configuration

#2 In order for Adobe to control that, they need YOU to host your site on their servers

#3 Hosting websites is where the real money is.. NOT designing websites

#4 Adobe is creating a Hosting solution that directly benefits THEIR products because they can't develop a web application that is independent without making it COMPLETELY transparent and Open Source

#5 If you buy into this, you will forever be on a track that depends on Adobe's business plan (and by business, I mean their $$... ) Once you're locked in... you're locked IN!!! Your site won't function on another server!!!

THIS POST IS A BLATANT ATTEMPT TO CONVINCE YOU THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW SERVICE!!!

YOU MIGHT AS WELL OPEN UP AN ACCOUNT WITH

Intuit®  | Website Building Software & Website Design

AND LET THEM CREATE A SITE FOR YOUR CUSTOMER

• 2. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.
            cristinel@adobe Adobe Employee

Hello,

Can you send me a private message with a link to your website and a test account?

Thank you,

Cristinel

• 3. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Christinel!

Thanks so much for looking into this! And, thanks so much for the

great info in the BC meeting yesterday!

The website that I am working on is: www.pointsfive.com You'll see

that each page has different editable areas because I manually added

them (and didn't do a very thorough job!)

And, the other one that I had to manually add editable areas to was www.wafflefrolicking.com

Thanks!

Jackie

• 4. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Tommy,

Actually, I am a professional designer who enjoys working with Adobe products, and they don't pay me, I pay them for software, etc! I wish they did pay me! I have had my share of issues with InContext editing, and they usually stem from hosting issues because each host is so different, as you probably know from your own experience. I can only assume that things will run more smoothly when they are running things on their own server. I don't mind that Adobe is going to make money from hosting sites- someone has to be paid for that service.

However, probably like you, I am not thrilled at the throught of explaining to all of my current clients using InContext that they will need to change hosts (to Adobe) or content management systems. I don't like it that many of us were put in this awkward situation. I would have preferred that they continue supporting the CMS by adding a fee or something like that- while allowing us to remain on the servers that we chose for our clients- as was implied from the beginning of InContext's existence.

But, I also have to admit that I can see the power of the BC system. And, I believe that with Adobe controlling the hosting for the BC and ICE sites, they will run more smoothly.

• 5. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

OK, Hal... I believe you.

Is it just me or why am I feeling like Dave?

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL? 
                  HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you. 

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL. 
                  HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. 

Dave Bowman: What's the problem? 
                  HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL? 
                  HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL. 
                  HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid  that's something I cannot allow to happen.

• 6. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Cristinel,

I know you've been busy keeping up with the posts in the InContext forum, but I was wondering if you've had a chance to look into the issue that I am having with the editable regions in the 2 sites that I sent you links to. I am scheduled to work on the Pointsfive site today, and I would love to address the issue while it's on my schedule.

Thanks SO much!

Jackie

• 7. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

I've been looking over the links in your post and have a few questions or hints.

I'm noticing that you're using Dreamweaver templates on those pages. I wonder if you are defining the editable regions on each page at a time? If this is your workflow, the Dreamweaver Create Editable region command will not be able to write the link to the ice.js file in the page header (is locked by the template) and thus the CTRL+E will not work even if the DIV is marked as editable.

If this is the scenario, one suggestion is to edit the template and link ice.js file in the template header. Saving the template will propagate the changes and the other pages should also work.

Let me know if I am completely off here.

Thanks,

Cristinel

• 8. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Cristinel!

Thanks so much for responding! Here's the order of events so that you can better have a sense of what happened:

I created the website in Dreamweaver. All pages are based on one template. On the template, I created the editable regions, saved the template, and updated the pages so that all included the editable regions. I then saved and uploaded all files to the FTP server. When I went in to edit mode, it said that the pages did not have any editable regions. I went back to Dreamweaver, saved again, and re-uploaded the files. Still didn't work. I then used CyberDuck to FTP the files and it still didn't work. So, I started to manually define them, even though I had already done them in Dreamweaver.

So, essentially I did have to add the editable regions twice.

So, now I'm sure it looks like a big mess, but it didn't start out that way!

I had this same problem with one other site, wafflefrolicking.com. But, before that I successfully added ICE using templates to 14 other sites.

I hope this helps figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

Jackie

• 9. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi again, Cristinel!

It looks like others are having the same problem as me... see

Site with editable regions won't allow editing

It sounds like exactly the same issue. I think they are related.

Thanks,

Jackie

• 10. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

I'm noticing another issue on another client site. I have attached a css file for the client to use on a specific page of a site. I saved it, uploaded all of the files, and the change is not visible when I go into edit mode. It says "no style" even though there is a style sheet attached!

I am getting really frustrated because things that used to work smoothly are suddenly not working.

I've also noticed that the timestamps don't match up. They are one hour different on local vs. remote sides. I'm not sure if this is related, but I have noticed that for the other site with problems this week, too.

Thanks,

Jackie

PS- I was able to successfully upload and view other changes to the page. So, it seems to be something wrong with ICE only.

• 11. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for this detailed description of your workflow. I'll try duplicate the problem later today and understand what is happening. I guess something is different in your last two sites, but I need to understand what. I'll keep you posted later today or tomorrow.

One thing is sure, we haven't made any updates on the standalone service so, is either a browser update or something different on those pages.

Thank you for your patience,

Cristinel

• 12. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

Can you check if the ice:classes="*" attribute is added to the CSS class you linked in the file? Also, menu will only displayed named classes (.mycssclass) and not selectors or any other styling.

Thank you,

Cristinel

• 13. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Cristinel!

For the new issue CSS class issue, the CSS sheet is available on one page and not the other. The CSS styles show in Dreamweaver for the page, but they don't show up in ICE edit mode online.

A few more details: this happens to be a site that was set up a while ago. So, this is unrelated to the new issue that i originally posted about. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that. The site with the CSS issue is carolbushberg.com.

On her homepage in edit mode, you can apply the "youtube" class. However, even though I have arranged it to be available on the featured listings page too, there are no classes available. These 2 pages have the same base template, and I have made sure to double-check that the class was available on the template level.

Thanks so much for you help.

Jackie

• 14. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Did you see that I also found another post about a problem from another user? Maybe that will help?

Jackie

• 15. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Cristenel.... I'll look at this and could probably solve it in minutes.

I accept PayPal

-Tom

• 16. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Cristinel,

My client (at www.carolbushberg.com) was trying to edit their site and the editor is not working. Perhaps you are working on it? Anyway, here's a quote of what she sent to me:

"Hi Jackie,

Sorry to be a bother as I know you are busy, but I can't edit our website. I tried to update the site yesterday afternoon, again in the evening, and just a few minutes ago. Same problem as before - as soon as I login, it reverts to a very old version of the page. The solution that I found on Adobe's blog does not work (refreshing the page using control + F5 - in fact, I've tried every button in combination with F5 and nothing works. If I do a simple refresh, it kicks me out of incontext.) I had this problem a few weeks back, but then it was working fine until yesterday. I have no idea why it suddenly stops showing me the most recent page to edit.

If you can get it to work for me, I will do the updates. If not, the Hayts Rd listing on the home page should be switched out to the Columbia St property and the Hayts Rd on the Featured Listings page should be changed from "Just Listed" to "Sale Pending".

Thanks!
                                        Nicole"

• 17. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

Would be possible to invite me as an editor to this website? My email is cranasta (AT) adobe (DOT) com.

Thanks,

Cristinel

• 18. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

I think I figured out what is happening on these two sites and why the editable regions are not working, but I need to confirm with you.

In your workflow, you're saying that you are defining ICE editable regions, but I guess that you are defining those regions inside DWT editable regions. When you save the template, Dreamweaver will propagate the changes that are outside DWT editable regions, and thus the InContext Editing ones are not saved in the pages.

To make sure the changes are propagated, you should define, if possible, the InContext Editable region just outside the DWT editable region mark-up. So your DWT code should like this:

<div class="Content" ice:editable="*">

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="FullContentArea" -->

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

</div>

Otherwise, you would need to open each page and create the editable regions in Dreamweaver and then upload the files on the server.

Thank you,

Cristinel

• 19. Re: Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Hi Jackie,

Just to share the result with everyone else... I've been added as a user to the website and found that CSS classes worked, at least on the homepage. Now, as a general tip, when this happen, usually the following things could be checked:

• There is a CSS file linked in the page that has the ice:classes=”*” attribute
                                              • The CSS file includes named classes
                                              • The editable regions allows users to update classes
                                              • The user has clicked in an editable region (the ICE menu is disable when the user doesn’t click inside a region)

Thanks,

Cristinel