10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 7:59 PM by the_wine_snob

My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help

ThorC1138 Level 1

After about 70 hours of work putting together a video compilation and only being half done, I was adding and removing audio tracks, and when I went back to slideview, all my clips somehow "merged" into what now looks like one really long clip.  It's got the little "double-window" icon in the upper right which wasn't there before, and try as I might, I cannot figure out how to ungroup/break it back up!!  It still lets me skip from clip to clip in the monitor view, but I can no longer see the separate elements in the slide view, and eveything seems to be grayed out when I right click on the clip in slide view and try and ungroup or break it up.  (it doesnt have the little ungroup arrows either). Timeline view looks pretty normal.

I used up all my undos removing the audio tracks I was editing at the time, and I really don't want to start this all over again, is there a way to restore it back to the individual clips in the slide view?

Thanks,

Thor

• 1. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thor,

What do things look like in Timeline View?

Can you tell us about your source footage?

Also, I'd do a Save_As right now, and close the Project. Choose Open, and then navigate to your AutoSave Project files. Open each of these. One note: there should be 5, unless you changed the default. Make sure to look at these in Detail View, and Sort on Date/Time, as the highest incremented number might well not the latest. Do any of these get you back?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Hunt. If you can post a screen capture of what your'e seeing, it would be helpful.

You say you're in "slide view"?

Is that Sceneline mode?

If so, switch back to Timeline mode. The "double-window" you describe indicates clips or titles on upper video tracks.

It's not likely you "broke" something or that the program did something major without telling you.

• 3. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
              ThorC1138 Level 1

Im not in front of it right now to check things out, but I will check the auto saves tonight when I get home.  Your reccomendation seems to suggest Autosaves are stored seperately from the manual saves?   That "may" be okay, but Im pretty sure I changed the value down to 10 minutes, and I think I wasted more than an hour trying to get it back, so even my oldest autosave is likely snafu'd.

The video sources are all mpg and vobs from burned DVD's, stored on the hard drive, and opened via the organizer, then I would drop a chapter onto a blank slide and then parse it into the clips I wanted to use for the compilation, deleting the others. That's worked great so far.

I first noticed the merge after I added a mp3 to the soundtrack, then I wanted a 2nd mp3 for a few minutes, then back to the first mp3.  I added a new Audio Track, added the 2nd mp3, then went and added another copy of the 1st mp3 onto Soundtrack, and did some fading in/out and trimming.

Went out of timeline and back into slides, and thats when I noticed all my video clips were now merged/stacked onto one slide, with no indication that it was groupd somehow.  (I know what grouped it items should like like, I had some clips grouped already within the project). Went back and removed the mp3's from the soundtrack and new Audio Track, but no dice.  (and though that new Audio Track is now empty, it doesnt get removed when I select "Remove empty tracks" for some reason)

The timeline view looks normal apart from the extra audio track, 4 video tracks currently to handle some split screen segments, and there's no soundtrack,or narration.

I can use the "next/last edit point" buttons in the monitor controls to jump to the individual clips..and I guess  I "could" reorder/insert/delete clips from the timeline view, but it would be quite a pain!

• 4. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
                ThorC1138 Level 1

Slideview=sceneline, yes sorry, still new to the program.. Screen shots will have to wait till after work...just replace slide with scene for my comments.

• 5. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Within the Project's folder structure, there should be a folder, Premiere Elements Auto-Save. Inside that sub-folder will be your Auto-Save files.

As a sidenote, some MP3's Import and work OK, but many can give problems. I always convert any MP3 source files to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit in an audio-editing program. I use Audition, but the great, freeware Audacity, will do it for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help

Again, I think the solution is to work in Timeline mode.

You can only see what's on the Video 1 track in Sceneline mode, and you've clearly got most of your video on upper tracks (four, by your count).

I'll bet if you scroll upward to see what's on your upper video tracks in Timelime mode you'll find that you actually have several clips, not just one "merged together", on your timeline.

• 7. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
                      ThorC1138 Level 1

Ok, the autosave feature saved my bacon, looks like I have a couple saves from last night that will get me back before things went haywire.  Here's two screenshots, one showing the sceneline view with my "merged" scene, and one of the timeline.

The timeline one clearly shows I have multiple scenes, and I can use the next edit button to jump forward and backward, but as you can see in the sceneline view, it doesnt show up as a group, and the slider shows it as one long scene.timeline view.PNG

sceneline view.PNG

• 8. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The Scenelne View is good as a "storyboard," where you have Clips/Assets on the same Video Track. It is meant to act as a "slide-sorting table."

Also, looking at your Timeline View Mode screen-cap, it appears that you might have gaps between some of the Clips. Now, if the gaps are "covered" by Video on upper Tracks, you should be OK, but where you have gaps, you might well have trouble. I'd check those out closely.

Also, in the Sceneline screen-cap, your CTI is at 00;00;00;04 (4 Frames), while your Timeline View screen-cap is well into the Timeline, ~ 00;00;08;21, or so. What is the Clip at 4 Frames?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help

I agree, Hunt. Sceneline mode is often so limited you can't tell what's going on.

Notice that most of this video is on the Video 2 tracks and above. That's why it doesn't show up in the Sceneline view, except as a double-window indicator that there is video on upper tracks.

Auto-Save was entirely unnecessary in this case. All the video is there. You just can't see it in Sceneline mode.

• 10. Re: My clips all merged, and it won't let me ungroup..Help
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I had to look at Sceneline View Mode, as I have seldom used it. Unless there are "windows," not much can be seen in Sceneline. Though I come from a still background, and used light tables for decades, I find Sceneline so "odd," that I cannot imagine using it for Video.

Hope that the OP has everything in hand, and that all Tracks' Clips are there, where they belong.

Hunt