18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 8:20 AM by BellyBuckle

white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything

BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi all.

My white selection arrow keeps selecting the entire shape of an object instead of allowing me to select individual anchor points.  This is incredibley annoying!  I have to keep deselecting and going in close and fidgeting around until it finally acts like it's supposed to.

One of many MANY glitches is cs4 that has disappointed me immensely. I would wish that Adobe would take into consideration the deplorable cs4 and allow all of us to upgrade to cs5 FREE!

B.

• 1. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

B,

Are you saying that it works differently from earlier versions where you have to have the object deselected and then click the Anchor Point(s) or drag from outside the object?

• 2. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It works fine in CS 4 perhaps a corrupt font or conflict with a plug in or user error or corrupt preferences. I am on a Macand know users of Windows systems who do not have a problem.

Here is a video.

http://gallery.me.com/wzphoto2/100022

I believe someone else had this problem and it turned out to be a conflict with a third party software.that they really did not need.

• 3. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
              BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi guys.

Thanks to both of you for responding.  I will watch the video link shortly.

In answer to your question, Jacob, yes - it works differently than previous versions of illustrator.  For example, let's say I draw a circle, then I deselect it. Then I grab the white arrow tool and want simply to click on one anchor point.  Instead, it acts more like the black arrow tool and the entire shape is selected.  I usually have to fiddle around until it finally works.

B.

P.S. i'm on a 27" i5 imac.

• 4. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                Userbak610 Level 3

You need to select right on the edge of the shape in order to get the anchor points to open up.

• 5. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                  BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi there.

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I do select the edges - same problem.  Actually, there are many weird glitches with the white arrow tool.  Another one has to do with trying to select an anchor point on one shape and instead, the white arrow selects an anchor point on a nearby shape!  I have to go in super close for this to stop happening. 

Anyway, if it's a bug, it's a bug and I'll have to deal with it until I get cs5.  If not, I wouldn't mind some suggestions on how to fix it.

B.

• 6. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                    [scott] Level 6

Well the behavior you describe is not normal.

I'd try trashing preference files.

• 7. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                      BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi there.

I've done that - many times.  No dice. 

Lots of weirdness, is all I can say.

Thanks anyway!

B.

• 8. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You did not respond to my post as to the other possibilities. And you probably did not look at the video.

How about all the other possibilities like plug ins, hacks, funny fonts (you know free) is this a legal copy etc.

The thing about the free update is silly.

• 9. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                          BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi there.

Thank you again for your response.

In answer to your questions, yes - I watched the video and it doesn't directly speak to my specific problem, though I am thankful to you for sending the link, as I did not know that one could disable the selecting feature.

First off: the white arrow, on my system, does not allow me to easily select just the anchor points unless I zoom in real close.  In a related issue, it also frequently selects an anchor point on a nearby object instead of the one I'm trying to select.  In previous versions of Illustrator, this was not the case.

Secondly: I'd already run the "validate fonts" option in Fontbook, which showed many fonts that were questionable, and they've been long gone now. But who knows?  Maybe you're right about the freebies.  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that one.

Third: yup - 100% legal copy of the Premium Suite.

Fourth: yes, perhaps a free update is silly.  What I'd like to see is acknowledgement of a whole host of bugs in CS4 and an inexpensive upgrade to CS5 as a good will gesture (like maybe $200).  I've read these forums and there are many, many other glitches in version 4 which myself and other people have experienced too.

Anyway, thank you again for your response and for your suggestions.

B.

• 10. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the Selection tolerance set to in your Preferences (Cmd-K>Selection&Anchor Display)? If it's set too high, then there could be a problem with the z-order in selecting anchor points.

• 11. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                              BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi there.

The tolerance is currently set to 6. I just set it to 1 after reading your post.  I'll fiddle around and see it this makes a difference.  Thanks! 

B.

• 12. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes I believe it is a freebie font the issue came up twice it was the sam font for about three or four users I do n0ot recall the font's name.

• 13. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                  thuth Level 1

Just a thought but make sure you are not using the white arrow with plus next to it-- the Group Selection tool, because what you are describing sounds a bit like how it functions in my mind. it is located *under* the white arrow, but stays in the tool position once selected, so it could have gotten "turned on" by mistake.

Or it could be unrelated.

I am just starting to use it more today to improve my selection abilities in AI-CS4 and reduce my headaches. it is hard to UNLEARN decades of Freehand use.

-Tony

• 14. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                    thuth Level 1

One other thought.

I seemed to be getting some weird selection behavior with the Direct Selection tool and switching between the Direct Selection arrow and the Group Selection arrow in the tool bar when I was writing the last post and it seemed to magically fix my problem.

Go figure.

-Tony

• 15. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                      BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your posts.  Some good points.

I haven't noticed a big difference yet with changing the prefs for the selection tolerance.  I will have to keep working away to see if it is fixed.

As for fonts - I'd like to know how it's possible to pinpoint one that is causing conflicts in the system?  Does validating them in Fontbook do the job?

Also - in response to the above post: I'm using the white arrow and not the white one with the plus sign (though I do use that one frequently and it works fine).

Soldiering on....

b.

• 16. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

BellyBuckle wrote:

Hi everyone.

As for fonts - I'd like to know how it's possible to pinpoint one that is causing conflicts in the system?  Does validating them in Fontbook do the job?

b.

They way to do this is first deactivate all fonts except the system fonts if you used a font manager. It would not likely be one of those.

Then remove half the fonts from any font folder other than those used by the system and restart your computer and trash Ai's settings folder1. .

1.Quit Illustrator.

2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS4 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

then launch AI and see if the problem goes away if it does then the culprit is in the group you removed now add half of those removed fonts back
                                        and see if the problem stays a way if not then the culprit is in the remaining bath and you put half of those back and so on and in about six such moves you will probably have fond the culprit. If the font culprit is in the first group you did not unload then you do the same thing there but by removing the halves.

I think ou get the idea.

Update: In your case I think just try first removing al the free fonts toss the preference settings folder and if the problem goes away never use the free fonts again.

• 17. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                          BellyBuckle Level 1

Hi.

Thanks!  I appreciate your advice. I guess everything is a process - trial and error.

Take care everyone!

B.

• 18. Re: white selection arrow in cs4 selects everything
                                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I hope you find the problem, If you are on a mac of course one can do an archival reinstall of the system to see if that resolves the problem and one can check if it is a conflict with the font or other application or a corrupt preferences folder by creating a new user and logging into the new user and then launching Illustrator and see if that solves the problem.

If the problem is still ther then it might not be a font , unless you load them again or you had set them to be used by all users. If it is still there this issue and the fonts are not loaded then you probably do have to do an archival reinstall anyway. Unless you set certain applications to be used by all users.

A little complex I guess.