4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 4:29 AM by jimmyoneshot

What is the Correct Component For This?

jimmyoneshot Level 1

I'm lost as to what component to use for navigation within my application. Across the top of my app I want something which horizontally displays a list of categories which the user can click to select. This is fine if I use a tilelist but I also want to allow my client to add and remove categories and for the width of the component to adjust so that new categories fit in but it seems impossible to apply <fit to content> to a tilelist the way you can to a hbox which obviously means scrollbars will appear and if you switch the scroll policy off this simply means any added categories won't be visible if they are past the set width. It seems that anything with the selecteditem property (which is what I need for my app) operates on set width's.

If a hbox had a selecteditem property that would be perfect. Is there any such way of getting a component to work like this?

• 1. Re: What is the Correct Component For This?
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Try Spark List.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the Correct Component For This?
            jimmyoneshot Level 1

Isn't spark list a component for flex 4? I'm on flex 3.5 unfortunately.

Sorry to sound stupid but is flex 4 free to use? I got a serial key for Flex 3.5 for free due to being a web development student at uni but I'm wondering if this would also allow me to use flex 4 for free. I've simply never tried as I wouldn't really like adapting to the new design, coding etc but I just thought whiole it's being mentioned I'd ask.

• 3. Re: What is the Correct Component For This?
              David_F57 Level 5

hi,

Flashbuilder (flex 4.0 sdk) is available for educational use, http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/free/index.html

may as well get into the latest and greatest. With Flashbuilder you can select between Flex 3.5 and Flex 4.0 for your projects.

David.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What is the Correct Component For This?
                jimmyoneshot Level 1

That sounds great and I am starting to see a lot of flex 4 solutions to problems theses days although 3.5 still seems to be the norm. One thing I'm confused about is this - I'm still a web dev student until june. When I started my course I uploaded a scanned image of my uni id card and got a flex 3.5 serial key and was able to use it and install it for free. I assume that I will do the same to get this new version but 1. Will this invalidate my previous key and disallow me to use the version I have installed now (maybe I'm being paranoid) and 2. Will I be able to use the one I've installed currently or, if I get the new version, use that forever and install them as many times as I like even AFTER my current degree is finished? Basically I'm unsure as to how it works.

One thing I've been worrying about is what if my course finishes and I get a job which involves me working from home on websites and all of a sudden flex deactivates from my machine because I've finished my course but again maybe I'm just being paranoid and once you have a key you can use it for good. I have to say that is crazy generous of adobe if that's the case and if so I might aswell get a key for the new version before I'm out of education.

What do you think?