7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 4:27 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly

zipmin43g

Within PE8, the cropping top, bottom, left and right appear to be correct but when encoded to dvd, the image is either hashed on one side or not cropped at all.  I have other pictures within the same project that are cropped and encode correctly.  It appears that there are limits of cropping, i.e., if you crop more than 14% on a side ... the only way I could get around this is to crop the picture externally in photoshop and use this copy in the project without using the cropping feature in PE8. Any thoughts on what the problem could be??

I have a Intel i7-860 cpu with 8g ram; evga gt200 graphics card and lots of internal drive space.

• 1. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've never heard of this in 6 years running this forum, zip.

Or maybe I'm not clear what you mean by "the image is hashed on one side".

Cropping with Photoshop Elements and cropping with Premiere Elements are very different things, by the way. Photoshop physically removes a part of the photo, while Premiere Elements will merely mask a part of the clip's frame, making a side or sides transparent.

Also, have you resized your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum? Using photos larger than that has been known to cause strange problems.

• 2. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just to make sure that we are talking the same language, you mean that you are applying the Video>Effect>Crop. Is that correct, and I assume that it is, because of the mention of "14% per side?" I just want to make sure that you are not doing Scaling, say with the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale.

As Steve mentions, Scaling the still images prior to Import into PrE is beneficial in several ways: the quality is better from a program, like Photoshop, and the overhead on the computer is lower, when dealing with properly sized images. Though PrE can handle images up to 4096 x 4096 pixels, it does not take many of these, before the computer grinds to a halt with that Project. Scaling to the Frame Size, or just a little larger to allow for Pans on Zoomed out images, is the best workflow.

If you get proper results, with your operation in Photoshop, then that is the workflow that I would suggest using.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
              zipmin43g Level 1

Thank you to Bill Hunt and Steve Grisetti for your replies.

I am using the Project Setting of HDV-720p (1280x720).

My default on the "Scale to Frame Size" is un-checked.

The two pictures in question that are 3700x2800 pixels & 4890x3400 pixels respectfully.

So both pictures used Property>Motion>Scale of 24% & 18%. They also use the Video>Effect>Crop with the Top of 22% or Bottom of 24%.

As a test, I created two separate projects:

. project setting of HDV-720p (1280x720)

. project setting of STD (720x480)

Each project used the same two pictures in the following scenarios:

. picture #1 & #2 with the "scale to frame size = unchecked as well the pictures with the "scale to frame size" = checked

. for the clips with scale to frame size = unchecked, the Property>Motion>Scale were reduced to 24% & 18%

. for the clips with scale to frame size = checked, the Property>Motion> Scale were increased to 110%

Prior to creation of DVD output to folder all pictures in PE8 look properly scaled and cropped.

The results of the tests:

. project setting of HDV-720p generated picture #1 with "scale to frame size" = unchecked as if no cropping was applied; picture #1 with the "scale to frame size" = checked was correctly cropped.  Picture #2 with both unchecked & checked options generated okay.

. project setting of STD (720x480) generated all pictures cropped correctly.

So, looks like the cropping effect works okay for STD but may have problems with the HDV setting when using "scale to frame size" = unchecked.

Most of my pictures are in the 3500x2600 pixel range so I will take your advice and use the "scale to frame size" = checked for the bulk of my project and use the "unchecked" option for only those that I want to pan or zoom.  Also I will consider doing more intensive cropping externally (like in Photoshop) before importing into PE8.

• 4. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, your images are very large, and one is above the 4096 pixels, that PrE allows. I would not be surprised at odd behavior.

Is there a compelling reason that you are using such large images? This ARTICLE will give you some background, and also ways to Scale outside of PrE. Your resultant quality will be better, and the overhead on your computer diminished greatly - plus odd behavior should be gone.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
                  zipmin43g Level 1

The project that I am working on contains stills that have been scanned from old old black & white photos, different sizes, faded & discolored phots, as well as digital sources.  I enhanced practically all of them as jpg or bmp. I was under the misconception that bigger is better.

I read your posting of "Large Still Images in PE" and will use your workflow on my next project.

Thanks a bunch.

• 6. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
                    nealeh Level 5

With the right camera bigger is better for blowing up or cropping images for hardcopy prints. But for video the maximum resolution of the picture will be that of your preset. So using big pictures forces PRE to perform it's own scaling 'on the fly' and uses significant system resources. Following Bill's tips you will have more control over the scaling quality outside of PRE.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: PE8 in Windows7: cropping a still picture does not encode to dvd properly
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Neale and Hunt. It may go against common wisdom but, when working with video in Premiere Elements, the larger the photo, the worse the results.

Keep those photos at 1000x750 pixels (or 2000x1500 for hi-res video) and keep Scale to Frame Size turned off and you should get excellent results and good performance from the program.