14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 12:50 PM by nfunk59

Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8

nfunk59 Level 1

I've recently purchased Premiere Elements 8 after using version 3 for some time.

I MUCH prefer the workspace layout in v3 particularly the timeline layout of placing all video tracks together and the same for audio tracks (rather than the very confusing video/audio video/audio layout in version 8

I've hunted through manual and the online help but can't seem to find how to change this.

Help MUCH appreciated

Geoff

• 1. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
          nealeh Level 5

There is not much you can do about Video 1, Audio 1, Narration & Soundtrack. But for a workaround:

• delete empty tracks
          • add, say, five video tracks
          • add, say, five audio tracks

This will give you five sequential Video Tracks followed by five sequential audio tracks. Alternatively you can select to view only video or only audio tracks.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
            nfunk59 Level 1

Many thanks nealeh

This doesn't quite work for me

I don't understand the logic of this change at all! In what version was it brought in?

It seems v8 has  lot of people up in arms and I'm beginning to see why!

thanks anyway

Geoff

nealeh wrote:

There is not much you can do about Video 1, Audio 1, Narration & Soundtrack. But for a workaround:

• delete empty tracks
            • add, say, five video tracks
            • add, say, five audio tracks

This will give you five sequential Video Tracks followed by five sequential audio tracks. Alternatively you can select to view only video or only audio tracks.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale

• 3. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The major change in the interface actually goes back to version 4. A lot of people were unhappy with it then -- and they're not any happier with it now.

But Adobe believes that if the interface is "simple" it will scare off the novices.

Like you, I'd much prefer something that looked more like Premiere CS5. But all we can do is suggest.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

When I went to pick up a copy of PrE, I had seen many screen shots of PrE 3, and it looked a lot like my PrPro. I had not done enough homework, as I am sure there were reviews on PrE 4, that would have told me about the new "stylized" interface. I was surprised, and couldn't find squat.

For consumer-targeted NLE's, this type of clean, stylized, "smooth-techno" interface has become the norm. I first encountered such with Kai's (Kai Krause) PowerTools for PS from back in the late 80's. I loved his earlier plug-in, but never, never could work with this program and its gamer-interface. It was cool to play with, but for real work was not worth a hoot.

For me, I like to see everything with the dials, the sliders, the coordinates - everything. I do not need edgy, or stylized. I'll do that with my videos.

That is one of the reasons that I continue to do so much work in PrPro, as even after 2 years of PrE, I still do not feel comfortable with it, and have to keep looking in the shadows to find out where ____ is located. I feel that it is more reminiscent of an action game, than a useful program. I will have to say that I am not in the target demographic for the program.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                  nfunk59 Level 1

Thanks everybody

I find this whole thing bizarre. It implies that a lot of users were asking for the change since v3 then, but why would they?

I've tried (and am trying) to use Sony Vegas which is actually a very powerful tool as I'm sure many of you are aware but its simply not as intuitive and looks a complete mess! Don't think I've ever seen an uglier interface

Thanks for your comments anyway but it seems that Adobe are not listening.

Geoff

• 6. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

My guess would be that focus-groups, plus Feature Requests drove the decision to streamline the interface. Many reviewers have hailed it as slick, easy on the eyes and smooth. I guess that I am an analog dinosaur, living in a new, modern digital age, as I want to see everything laid out in front of me, and little behind the scenes, hidden by Presets, etc. Luckily for me, PrPro has not totally revamped the interface, but have not played with CS5 yet, so maybe there is a lot of streamlining there too. I hope not.

On the PrPro forum, you would be surprised at the number of users, who pine for the PrE interface and even for the limited, semi-automatic authoring, over the extreme power of Encore. Can't please everybody, and I am sure that those users file tons of Feature Requests, trying to get Adobe to "modernize" PrPro. Let's hope that they do not succeed.

Just my opinion,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                      nfunk59 Level 1

I find myself at the point with Pre Elements v8 where I'm about to give up.

So I have just tried to load  v3 (as it serves my needs perfectly) into my pc

My Acer Running Vista with:-

AMD Phenom (tm) 9550 Quad Core

4.00 Gb RAM

with NVIDIA Ge FORce 8600GT

Running Vista

I get two messages during start up of Prem Elements v3:

1: "Installed soundcard does not support Direct Sound Input. Recording audio is not possible"

2: "The Procedure entry point QTCF_CFUniCharGetUnicodePropertyDataForPlane could not be located in dynamic library QTCF.dll."

both of these can be overidden by closing the dialog box and the programme loads  - but not fully then simply hangs....

can anybody help before I cry too loudly....

thanks

Geoff

• 8. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                        nfunk59 Level 1

...and now I can't get any sound to playback from Pre Elements 8 or sound and vision to playback from Sony Vegas Movie Studio!

I can get sound from elsewhere - you tube , radio etc

Any help greatly appreciated

Geoff

• 9. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8

Have you installed the version 3.04 update -- a necessary feature for using it on Vista?

• 10. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                            nfunk59 Level 1

Hi Steve

It runs on another pc with Vista so assume answer is yes

Problem is be that I can't get v3 to fully load in my newer pc in order to go to help/update to check?

Geoff

• 11. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8

I  think you have to download it manually. Here's the download page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

And I guess it's 3.02, not 3.04.

And, needless to say, go to Windows Update also and ensure you have even  the non-critical updates.

• 12. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                                nfunk59 Level 1

Steve

you are a true star. Downloaded and installed (yes it's v 02)

But still can get no sound playback from Elements but can from web/my itunes playlist etc.... etc?

Any ideas?

Geoff

• 13. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                                  nealeh Level 5

If you haven't already then make sure that your graphics and sound drivers are completely up to date, and that you have the latest QuickTime (7.6.6).

One of the errors you listed above started QT.... and that invariably means a QuickTime problem.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Changing the workspace in Première Elements 8
                                    nfunk59 Level 1

Thank you again everybody

I'm now up and running with v3 but astounded why I can't run the "much improved v8" with any kind of consistency or confidence.

IS thsi called progress...

THANK YOU