0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 5:04 AM by Allen_53

Why do context sensitive links not work when browsing from Windows 2008 Server?

Allen_53

Hi,

We have a browser based application (Product X--developed using Visual Studio 2008) that has context sensitive links on each page to appropriate help topics (developed in RoboHelp 8) that are called using URLs. The links work in all cases except when you browse to the application from a machine that has Windows 2008 Server as the OS. In this case, you always receive the default help topic rather than the context sensitive topic.

Product X is installed on XP or Windows 2003 Server

·         If you browse to this installation of Product X from a machine with XP or Windows 2003 Server as the OS, and you click one of the context sensitive links, you get the correct context sensitive topic.

·         If you browse to this installation of Product X from a machine with Windows 2008 Server as the OS, and you click one of the CS links, you get the topic that is specified as the default help topic.

Product X is installed on Windows 2008 Server

·         If you browse to this installation of Product X from a machine with XP or Windows 2003 Server as the OS, and you click one of the context sensitive links, you get the correct context sensitive topic.

·         If you browse to this installation of Product X from a machine with Windows 2008 Server as the OS (including the same machine where Product X resides), you get the topic that is specified as the default help topic.

The URLs are written in this way:

http://<servernamn>/Product X/webhelp/en-us/default.htm#<url till hjälpen> such as:

http://MyServer/Product X/webhelp/en-us/default.htm#reports/help_on_my_report.htm (which should take me to the help topic "help_on_my_report.htm when I click a link connected to it)

When browsing to Product X from a Windows 2008 Server machine as in the examples above, the path to the topic is displayed as in the example above, but the default.htm is displayed instead of "help_on_my_report.htm". The same thing happens even if you take away "default.htm"

Internet Explorer 8 is the browser used.

How do we make the correct context sensitive help topics appear when browsing from a Windows 2008 Server machine?

Thanks,

Allen