8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 11:04 AM by kid kodiak

Unable to run project - Illegal Character

ndgnc66

Hi,

when I try to run the project with Ctrl+Enter, I receive

the following alert.

fc_failure.png

I think it has something to do with workspace but I do not know how to solve the problem.

Can somebody help me to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
          Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hello,

This is most likely due to a character on your file path that Catalyst cannot deal with. Here are a couple questions:

1. Does your username have any non-letter characters in it?

2. What non-letter characters show up in the path in the Error dialog above? (Are there any characters that aren't a-z?)

3. What happens if you run Catalyst under another username? Preferably one with only letters?

-Bear

• 2. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
            ndgnc66 Level 1

The full path is //corp-comp/comp/Userhome_w7/ndgnc/Application Data/Adobe/Flash Catalyst/workspace/Untitled_1/bin-debug/Main.html

There are no special characters, only letters  a-z and _ underscore or - minus.

If I open this folder in Windows 7, I have to give this path, it is UNC. Does Flash Catalyst have difficulties with UNC?

Also I do not have the choice to explicitly define the workspace in Flash Catalyst like I do in FlashBuilder or ColdFusion Builder.

Running Catalyst under another name should be unnecessary because my username has only a-z letters.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ndgnc

• 3. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
              Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hello again,

Yes. It looks like the problem is with the UNC format of the file path. Do you happen to know how your home directory is set up? Is it on your network?

Catalyst will work if you set your home directory to be a local file path. If you can't do that, we may be able to cobble something together for you, but best practice would be to change your home directory.

-Bear

• 4. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
                jfarris10

That was it. Everything works. Thanks! It makes sense, I typically keep everything on a local directory but this is my first attempt at Catalyst so I guess I just got carried away.

Thanks for the help,

I look forward to the cs5 version

-Justin

Hello again,

Yes. It looks like the problem is with the UNC format of the file path. Do you happen to know how your home directory is set up? Is it on your network?

Catalyst will work if you set your home directory to be a local file path. If you can't do that, we may be able to cobble something together for you, but best practice would be to change your home directory.

-Bear

>

• 5. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
                  ndgnc66 Level 1

Hi,

I checked the home directory with the command "set home". The result is:

HOMEDRIVE=C:

HOMEPATH=\Users\ndgnc

I checked also "set app" and "set user" and both results show that the results are all local. I have no idea how Flash Catalyst gets the network information. Also when i try to extract the downloaded data, the standard path suggested is:

\\corp-comp\comp\Userhome_w7\ndgnc\Desktop\Adobe Flash Catalyst

I also searched the register keys and couldn't find any reference to Userhome_w7\ndgnc\Application Data

I have absolutely no idea how FC gets the UNC path and copies the workspaces in that folder.

I have no more ideas. I would be happy to any solution.

Thanks.

ndgnc

• 6. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
                    klfunk15

We are having the same issues with our university when a student tries to run a program.  If the user is a student (files saved on server) adobe catalyst throws up all kinds of errors!  If the user has a local profile then it seems to work just fine.   We also get this error when exporting file libaries in chapter 3 from Classroom In A Book. When I search where the .actionScriptProperties

as a network user

\\server\susers\username\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Catalyst\workspace\Project

And

serverletter:\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Catalyst\workspace\Project

When ran Locally It saves it in the following path

c:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Flash Catalyst\workspace\Project

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp

When a student runs adobe it creates a folder called c:\studentusers\username\ApplicationData\Adobe\Flash Catalyst

This folder contains two items p2 and workspace folders.

This should be saving everything to a network drive not creating a folder on the local c drive?

Can anyone tell my why adobe is creating a seperate folder for students and not local users?

adobe_error.png

• 7. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
                      UnderKlassikoScope

Hello Travis, I am also having this issue. Is there a way around it? My UNC contains a "$" because is a network path (roaming profile). How can I set/change the path on Flash Catalyst to a local one or again is there a solution to the actual problem with UNC's with characters not recognized?

Please advise,

-Marcos

• 8. Re: Unable to run project - Illegal Character
                        kid kodiak

As far as I know, there is no real, supported solution for this, besides changing the user's home directory. However, there is a low-level workaround if you just can't get it to work any other way.

The directories are set in Adobe Flash Catalyst > Configuration > config.ini.

You can set your workspace (the location Catalyst uses for previewing your project) by changing osgi.instance.area.default.

You can set the line to something like:

osgi.instance.area.default=/myWorkspace

And it will preview in the "myWorkspace" directory on your default drive. Don't use any "\" slashes, only "/" slashes.

Not the best solution for this, but it'll get you through in a pinch.