2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 6:12 AM by Szalam

Having a issue with CS4

Shighguard1

My brother has a Sanyo HD Camcoder I have shot a few different videos so i can add in effects however when i Import it to After Effects I see nothing.  All the settings are set to normal, i have even previously imported video from the camera add it worked fine, but now for some reason it doesnt work. I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling After effects and making sure i have all the components. I am completely baffled and frustrated i really want to work on these videos. Any Suggestions would be great thanks.

Ken

• 1. Re: Having a issue with CS4
          Shighguard1 Level 1

The videos import as a MPEG 4 format do i just need to change these to something else? If so how i cant get them to work in Premire pro either. Please help

• 2. Re: Having a issue with CS4
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is generally recommended not to use footage with MPEG compression in AE. Dave LaRonde from CreativeCOW.net explains why:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I would use Adobe Media Encoder to encode the videos. Quicktime with the PNG codec (not a PNG sequence) is a very good choice. At full quality it is lossless, but it's a smaller file size than the Animation codec or an uncompressed AVI.