14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 11:29 AM by helpvid

Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query

helpvid Level 2

Firt of I will provide a link so my question can be viewed http://www.theboxinghistorian.com/

As you will see i have a spry menu bar, eight of the links are just simple rollover, and two have drop down menus.  I am happy with the actual bar as it appeared, however I don't want the drop down to have the rollover effect.  I located the CSS, but when i changed it seems to be the same CSS that controls the eight links that have no drop down.

So in short, when I tried to edit the drop down menus appearance the change is also applied to the eight links that appear on the nav bar and have noo drop down.  Belive me I have been messing with this for over a week and cannot figure it out, will i need to edit and add me on CSS.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

a question first: Are you really happy with that? The sub menus of your sixth column I see them only partially!

dr.jpg

Hans-G.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
            helpvid Level 2

Thank you nfor sending that screenshot, I was not aware it looked like that, here is a screen shot as how it appears on my screen.   I have tested on three monitors and it appears the same on all of them.

Capture.JPG

Have you any suggestions as to why its appearing like that at your end.  Im really concerned now if its appearing all messed up like that on other peoples screen

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
              LonelyDead

It appears on mine the same as it does on hans,

there are numerous columns and when the dropdown box

appears because it has all those columns it adds a side scroll to your site,

im using IE

Daniel

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                helpvid Level 2

what resolution of monitor are you using, I don't understand what there is a side scroll as my site has been designed using percentage in the CSS.

Can you give any advise on how to resolve the issue

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                  LonelyDead Level 1

if you go to www.screen-resolution.com and enter your url

it will show you what we see, or it should do as it shows me what i see.

I don;t have any exp using this type of navigation so i don't know what you can do.

Daniel

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                    helpvid Level 2

Yes I now see what you mean, I have no Idea why the drop down menu is appearing to the side like that.  I just hope someone picks up on this thread and can advise on what the issue may be, because that does not look good at all.  Before I launched the site i tested on all screen resolutions and had friends send me screenshots, unfortunately none of the screens had the menus showing.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                      helpvid Level 2

Just updating this thread to see if anyone has any ideas as to why my spry menu bar is appearing like it does in the image provided by Hans

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                        helpvid Level 2

I have just discovered the problem seems to be with Internet Explorer, I have viewed at various resolutions using Chrome and Firfoxe and everything appears as it should, however with IE the menu looks messed up.   

Has anyone any Ideas?

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query

Hi,

my answer is via email:

The good news first: a correct view is possible, I've got it.

The bad news: there are some problems with the ADOBE-Server, I can't get a connection, right now.

Hans-G.

"helpvid" <mailto:forums@adobe.com> schrieb:

I have just discovered the problem seems to be with Internet Explorer, I have viewed at various resolutions using Chrome and Firfoxe and everything appears as it should, however with IE the menu looks messed up.   

Has anyone any Ideas?

>

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                            helpvid Level 2

Hans look forward to hearing from you

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query

Hi,

the correct view as I got it is here:

drbox.jpg

But it was a really far way.

Commonly all you need to control the spry menu is hidden in the "SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css". I experimented there, with no god avail.

Your template can't be edited, but that does not matter if you would talk with its creator.

I for my part used my "sledgehammer method". I copied the source code into a word processing program, deleted all these <!-- And --> characters, copied it after that into a new, completely blank html file.

That's why you can see these comments above, which you can delete without any problems. After that  I was able to edit "MenuBar1". First, I erased all the submenus of "Championship History" and added them manually. This also works, when you copy from your former file these

<li class="border"> <a href="Light-Heavyweight.html"> Lt Heavyweight </ a> </ li>
                              <li class="border"> <a href="Super-Middleweight.html"> Spr Middleweight </ a> </ li>
                              ... aso.

Now you should be able to change your "introduction.html" as well as your "SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css".

Hans-G.

who has now very fast to help and to arrange the house moving of his daughter.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                                helpvid Level 2

I cant understand what you are saying Hans

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query

Hi,

the problem is that your are not able to edit your main page: "introduction.html" in the current state, or am I wrong? Does DW "allow" you this?

drbox01.jpg

and this (sorry German DW)?

drbox02.jpg

That's the point you have to come to! Here and only here, you can change, delete or add your submenus.

If not, there is only one way to get "introduction.html" editable (As I said you could talk of course to the author of your template too). Obstacles are those characters <!--  and --> which you will find in the source code. Because it's not editable as we know now, will be the only help to copy this whole "introduction.html" code in a word processing program such as notepad, Word or something like that. Here you can delete all these bad signs (Use search and replace, by leaving replace in blank). After that create a new DW-File. Switch into source code, delete it's whole text and paste your new WORD text file in it. Save it your "introduction.html" file.

Yes, and now your easygoing work with your website will start.

Hans-G.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver Spry Menu Customize Query
                                    helpvid Level 2

Hi Hans, Yes I am the author of the template.  I can edit the introduction.html or certain parts of it, anything else I can do through the template.  But Im still unclear on what the problem is.  What is the problem on my introduction.html.  Im finding it hard to understand your instructions.