2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 3:33 PM by Rick Gerard

AE script needed - Seperate masks onto new layers.

David Wigforss Level 1

Do you know of a script that can duplicate a copy of a layer for each mask it contains?  So, if a layer has 100 masks, it will create 100 layers each with their own unique mask.

Thanks,

-Dave

• 1. Re: AE script needed - Seperate masks onto new layers.
          David Wigforss Level 1

Hey gang.  Found a script, and upon initial usage, it looks really good!  Not only did it do what I needed, it did the extra laborious task of moving the anchor point to the mask!

http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/actual_scripts/Separate_Masks_in_Layers.jsx

• 2. Re: AE script needed - Seperate masks onto new layers.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have an easy script for this but you can press the Alt/Option + M select all the masks on your layer and set a keyframe, then copy, then open a new Illustrator document the same size as your composition and paste. This will give you unfilled paths for each of your masks. You then go to the layers palette and select all, then Release to Layers (Build if I remember). This will turn each path into a layer. You then select all of the layers except the original and drag them above Layer 1 making sure that there are no layers as sub layers of the original Layer 1. With all layers selected give them a fill color like black or white. Save the Illustrator file and import it into AE as an Illustrator Composition with cropped layers.

Now all of your layers can be used as track mattes or filled with any color you'd like.

I'll have to do some more digging to see if there's a script that will copy and paste each Mask to a new solid.

OOPS! Beat me to google....

Message was edited by: Rick Gerard