9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 3:11 AM by Jacob Bugge

Very small design quality

relzi1337

Hey,

I'm currently creating a design for contact lenses in the size of 14.8mm diameter.

To see the design in a size it's easy to work on, I'm using 1200% zoom.

Now, the thing is, when I'm zooming back to 100%, the design looks somewhat "blurry", and the colors become much lighter and everything becomes thinner in general.

My question is, if printing this design in a professional printing house, which specialized in creating contact lenses, will the design look like shown @ 1200% zoom, or will it take the quality of the 100% zoom?

Furthermore, the thickness of the lines/strokes, when changing from 1200% zoom to 100%, as mentioned, it becomes much thinner. If I want to get the outcome as shown in the 1200% zoom, should I make everything thicker, so when changing back to 100% it will look the same as in 1200%?

My logic says it will look more similar to the way it looks on a 1200% zoom, due to high quality AI file, and the high quality machinery the company using to create the lenses.

Moreover, if anyone has any experience in making graphics for a printing house, would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advanced.

• 1. Re: Very small design quality
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

relzi,

Now, the thing is, when I'm zooming back to 100%, the design looks somewhat "blurry", and the colors become much lighter and everything becomes thinner in general.

If you are zooming, everything should become very small at 100% and very hard to compare with the appearance at 1200%.

If you are actually scaling, did you try ticking Scale Strokes & Effects in the Transform palette/panel flyout as James su´ggested in the other thread, and how did that effect things?

• 2. Re: Very small design quality
            relzi1337 Level 1

Hey Jacob,

Yeah I did try that.. didn't see much of a change though.

Here's a comparison between 100% and 1200%, for your consideration.

lens.png

• 3. Re: Very small design quality

relzi,

After seeing the image(s),

That is quite expectable, given the resolution of the monitor.

My question is, if printing this design in a professional printing house, which specialized in creating contact lenses, will the design look like shown @ 1200% zoom, or will it take the quality of the 100% zoom?

Like the 1200% zoom, presuming they know what they are doing.

Furthermore, the thickness of the lines/strokes, when changing from 1200% zoom to 100%, as mentioned, it becomes much thinner. If I want to get the outcome as shown in the 1200% zoom, should I make everything thicker, so when changing back to 100% it will look the same as in 1200%?

Again, expectable.

My logic says it will look more similar to the way it looks on a 1200% zoom, due to high quality AI file, and the high quality machinery the company using to create the lenses.

It will.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Very small design quality
                relzi1337 Level 1

So let me get it straight, because I got a bit confused by the answer:

Should I base my design on the 1200% and leave everything as it is, or should I change the design so it will look on 100% the way I want it to look on 1200%?

To simplify, if I want the design above to look like the 1200%, on the lens, should I change anything?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Very small design quality

relzi,

To simplify, if I want the design above to look like the 1200%, on the lens, should I change anything?

No.

To feel more comfortable, you may print the design, or Save As PDF and print it from Acrobat/Reader.

If you use a standard Artboard = paper size, you should be able to see the rings much more clearly, depending on the printer resolution of course.

And you may set the Artboard size to 1/12 the paper size (for A4 that would be 17.5 x 24.75 mm) and Save As PDF, then print it on a normal size paper.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Very small design quality
                    relzi1337 Level 1

Alrighty then!

Thank you very much, Sir.

• 7. Re: Very small design quality
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

As for tips on printing list the specific questions you have so we can respond in kind.

Also can you show us a screen shot attaching it to your message with the camera icon in the tool bar of the message reply window of this forum.

I see you did already that soes look odd.

How did you compose the image that you posted? How did ou save it? I just want to make certaain we are seeing a good representation of what you are seeing.

• 8. Re: Very small design quality
                        relzi1337 Level 1

I took a screenshot of both states, and put them into one document in Photoshop.

• 9. Re: Very small design quality

You are welcome, relzi.