29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 4:51 PM by amurraybogart

Canon T2i conversion problem

Ric on the Pedernales Level 1

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum (or another) but I have searched and not found a satisfactory answer.

I just got a Canon T2i and am trying to edit footage with Premiere Pro CS4 on a powerful PC with Matrox RTx2.

I can't figure out how to get video to play properly. I have converted the native files from the camera, using Canon's Zoom Browser utility, to AVI files. They are accepted ok into Premiere but, when I play a file on the timeline, the audio plays noermally but the video speeds up to about double time. If I render it, the video flies by and lands on a still, which holds for the duration of the audio.

I'm just testing now and plan to use double system sound for any real projects but I still need to get my video to play normally.

I have tried several different sequence presets. The one that seems to work best is the Matrox HD (1440x1080p). The audio was recorded at 30fps so I have been selecting the 29.97 frame rate.

What am I doing wrong? I'm an old dog learning new tricks so please be gentle. Thanks in advance.

Ric

• 1. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Check the codec used in your source material. Use G-Spot to establish what is used. Likely it is MJPEG. In that case download either the Morgan or MainConcept MJPEG codec.

• 2. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem

Thanks but I'm still confused. I downloaded G Spot and ran it. It told me that it was an H.264 file in a Quicktime wrapper (which I sorta knew already) and that the codec was "avc1". Then it said "codec status undetermined".

So, given that info, what do you recommend? Does the file need to be converted to something else? Would downloading a new codec make it playable as is? In either case, what sort of Premiere project and sequence settings should I be using?

Again, I appreciate people taking the time to help out technical dummies like me. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
              jennifer.arani

Hello,

I use a t2i as well.  I am sorry to say I use an apple and the Final Cut Pro Studio not Premier,  but I can share my workflow with you and maybe you can translate it somehow to Adobe products.

Bring the h.264 video into your encoder (FCP=Compressor, but doesn't Adobe have an encoder as well?)

Convert to AppleProRess422 HQ.  I am not sure if you can do this on a PC but I have read in forums that XDcam is a good sub.

Also be sure you are resampling the audio when you convert the codec.  Compressor has settings for this perhaps the Adobe Media encoder does as well.

Also for audio and that audio gain issue - I have found the Tamsco Pocket Studio.  It is an external recorder that has it's own mixing board. So I have been adding the audio after I edit.

Don't know if that helps you but good luck!

I am thinking of learning Premier because I love After Effects so much.  Let me know if you workout a process!  Thanks!

• 4. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ric,

One of the problems is that mfgrs. are playing fast and loose with the H.264 CODEC, and introducing all sorts of variables and variations. Add to that, there is a difference between the H.264 CODEC's. Probably the big three are Apple, Lead and MainConcept, though there are many more. Some users report issues if they have Apple's H.264 installed, but usually with Export. Many report better performance and few problems with Lead, or MainConcept.

The swamp of CODEC's got deeper and broader with H.264, and seems to be expanding almost daily.

I wish that I had an iron-clad solution for you, something like a URL to download the absolute cure, but sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation. One thing to look into, however, is does Canon supply their version of H.264 on a utility disc? If so, that would solve most issues. Now, you might need to install some browser/editor software to get that, but it would be worth it. Personally, I think that it is highly incumbent on camera mfgrs. to provide the necessary CODEC's, and without having to install any programs - just the CODEC, please. Same for Panny, Nikon, JVC and the list goes on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Perhaps your PC system isn't providing enough horsepower to adequately playback H.264 video.

Try an alternate approach

1. Take your source footage
                  2. launch AME
                  3. batch convert your h.264 files to Panasonic P2

edit with a P2 preset in CS4 and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

ps - CS5 has DSLR presets and because it's native 64 bit, I can play Canon streams fine on my 3 year old mac laptop.

• 6. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Quick related question please. Curt Wrigley just posted an excerpt from either the CS5 Help file, or an info file, where the Canons and Nikons were listed. In the Presets, I would assume that PrPro offers different Presets for the Canons and for the Nikons, as the latter are MJPEG in most instances. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

No, we based our presets primarily on Canon as that seems to be the dominant video shooting DSLR.  However, there is no problem with using DSLR presets for Nikon as well or you can make your own that are more tailored to fit a Nikon based workflow.

Since I have not shot Nikon's, that's about all I know.  If anyone at Nikon wants to give me a camera, I'll become their best friend.

Dennis

• 8. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Thank you. There seemed to have been fewer issues with natively editing the Nikon MJPEG material, so long as one had an MJPEG CODEC installed. For most, just getting the Morgan, or the MainConcept did the trick. Do not know if CS5 now includes the MainConcept MJPEG (the main CODEC supplier for Adobe).

When I saw the list of supported DSLR's in Curt's list, it got me to wondering if maybe the MainConcept MJPEG was now included, and whether there was a Nikon version of the DSLR Preset.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem

Thanks, Dennis. One would think that my dual quad-core (2.33GHz) machine with 12 gigs of RAM would be enough for just about anything (but one would probably be wrong).

I finally did get the files to play on the timeline with advice I found on another forum. Using "Super" (a free download from eRightSoft) I am able to separate out the audio and video, save the audio as a .wav (without recompressing) and rewrapping the h.264 video in an MP4 container (also, without varying the original video). Then I lay the files on the Premiere timeline and they play fine through my Matrox RTX2 as long as there is not too much on the timeline. I do have to advance the audio track 2-3 frames to get proper sync.

I have experienced crashes too often though. And I cannot render at all. The workaround I found is to make several short sequences, batch them into AME and then (if it hasn't crashed yet), close Premiere. Then AME seems to have no problem rendering the sequences.

I also tried to do what you suggested - use AME to convert files to P2. No luck. AME doesn't recognize the files. I get the message "(filename).MOV could not be imported." What am I doing wrong?

Meanwhile, I just ordered a new display card (the Nvidia Quadro FX 3800), 8 more gigs of RAM and CS5. I'm hoping that the extra RAM will alleviate the crashing and that (whenever it arrives) CS5's native support for the camera-original files along with the Mercury engine will smooth out the rest.

Best,
                          Ric

• 10. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                            codec4canon

I heard it all works well with cs5.

What's the best way to encode and what format after finished editing without losing quality. It seems to lose a lot of quality, after all that's why we're shooting 1080p?

• 11. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                              dradeke Adobe Employee

codec4canon wrote:

I heard it all works well with cs5.

What's the best way to encode and what format after finished editing without losing quality. It seems to lose a lot of quality, after all that's why we're shooting 1080p?

That all depends on what your destination codec is.  If you want to go to DVD or blu-ray, it's one thing, if you want to go to Flash it's another thing.  In short, CS5 provides a lot more presets of common destination file types like YouTube, Vimeo, TiVo, etc.  It all happens through the Export command and Adobe Media Encoder.  I would sort through those first (especially the H.264 category) and try a few that fit your needs.

Best,

Dennis

• 12. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                codec4canon Level 1

I have tried several options but somehow i end up losing some quality.

I will mainly use it for 1. DVD 2. BD .

Is there any way i can keep it  the same format as original after editing (.mov i think)?

Thank you

• 13. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

You can always keep your original media and edit.

As far as outputting to DVD and Blu-ray, there are several presets and there are a lot of tutorials as well that can help you figure out what's best for you.  That said, DVD and Blu-ray are heavily compressed formats...

Dennis

• 14. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                    codec4canon Level 1

I know I can edit the original media but the problem is when exporting it doesn't go to original media or quality. Is there anyway to do that?

• 15. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                      codec4canon Level 1

Anybody here found a good encoding seting so that it is as close to the original as posible? Everything I've tried it loses quality.

• 16. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                        dradeke Adobe Employee

If you're using CS5, I don't think you NEED to change at all.  If you're using CS4, then I would recommend P2 or P2/AVC-Intra.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 17. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                          codec4canon Level 1

Sorry for dumb questions but how do you keep it tha same when exporting? I've tried h. 264 or even QuickTime and played with all kinds of settings and don't get the same quality it was before editing.

Just to make clear I don't have any problems with editing or playback in cs5, my problem is with the final product after editing is finished.

• 18. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, unfortunately, you are using a highly-compressed CODEC to start with, H.264, and then editing. When you Export to H.264, or MPEG-2 for BD (MPEG-2 for DVD), you will compress yet again. That is the biggest problem with a highly-compressed CODEC at the outset. The only way to stay close to what you ingested will be something like Lagarith Lossless, or UT, but that will not get you to DVD or BD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                              codec4canon Level 1

I don't see them in my media encoder how do i install them??

• 20. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                Anthony Abegglen Level 1

If you do not come right try www.dvxforum.com there are a lot of uses and a large resouce on the canon 550d and 7d. hope this helps.

Ps there is also  a PPro section overall I fine it a great resource .

• 21. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you mean the PrPro DSLR Presets?

If you have the full-paid version (no trial), they should have been installed. Unfortunately, I cannot direct you to them, as I do not have CS5, but others will certainly be able to give the exact location. If you mean something else, can you be more specific.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                    codec4canon Level 1

No I meant the lossless codec/format that you sugested above.

• 23. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Would that be Lagarith Lossless? If so, see here: http://www.lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                        codec4canon Level 1

The lossless doesn't really show on cs5 but i gave it a try in cs4 and it's not looking well. What's more funny is that i made a couple of samples a few days ago which came to an accaptable quality and I saved the preset. I try to do that again and it doesn't give me that quality anymore but a little lower. Why that is happening is beyond me.. same preset.

• 25. Finally figured it out no quality loss... :))
                                                          codec4canon Level 1

This has taken me almost more than a month of trying different things. Nothing seemed to work but the steps below. Now I have crystal clear video just like I recorded.

1 - show hidden files and folders
                                                          2 - rename from .mov to .mp4
                                                          3 - enjoy working in premiere pro without losing quality when exporting

Cheers!!

• 26. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                            kate5958 Level 1

You won't want to edit with Native Canon EOS 550D MOV files, most CPU's bottleneck when scrubbing through these files on a timeline. It's very CPU intensive and not really meant for editing. Do you have access to Adobe Media Encoder? If so that'll help you to convert your files to another friendlier format.

Hope these will be helpful for you.

http://camcordervideoshare.com/how-to/solution-for-editing-h-264mov-footages-shot-by-canon -eos-7d-camera/

• 27. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                              codec4canon Level 1

No I actually do want to edit native canon MOV files, that's the reason I'm shooting with it. If I lose quality what's the point of shooting such large files might as well shoot with a cellphone. Jus changing the extension to mp4 is working for me it's a little slow but at least quality isn't lost which is the most important thing for me. The next best thing is using canon's software to edit it. No need to convert with all those worthless software all over the web.

• 28. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                                dradeke Adobe Employee

codec4canon wrote:

No I actually do want to edit native canon MOV files, that's the reason I'm shooting with it. If I lose quality what's the point of shooting such large files might as well shoot with a cellphone.

And you shouldn't have to convert or transcode to any format if you're using CS5.  CS5 is a dream for DSLR shooters.  As long as your system meets certain requirements (memory, and HDD throughput come to mind) then you should be fine.

Dennis

• 29. Re: Canon T2i conversion problem
                                                                  amurraybogart

just ran into the same problem. I tried this.

Opened file in zoom browzer used movie edit and the saved as h264 then the file came up in elements. bridge will play the file but the file does not seem to be true h264  canon has played with it somehow and I an still surching for the answear