2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 8:08 AM by TWRob

How do I use Regular Expressions in the Find and Replace dialog?

TWRob Level 1

I am a RH HTML 8.02.208 user.

I've often used external tools, such as SED, for Regular Expression replacement of text in my Robohelp topics. Despite this, I am far from an expert in writing SED scripts - or the like - and I was glad to see in the help topic on Robohelp's Find and Replace text that RH supports regular expressions. However, what appears to be inconsistency between the help topic's content and its corresponding areas in the application have left me wondering what I am missing.

I've been told that whether it is basic text or a regular expression, I enter my search in the Find field. But I do not see a checkbox to specify which of the two types to use for the search: plain text or regular expression. This leads me to assume that it is necessary to escape regular expression characters. But, regardless of the multiple formats I've tried, including both the Windows and Unix examples provided in the help topic, it appears that none of my regular expressions are being read as anything but plain text.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am missing something obvious...but, any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I use Regular Expressions in the Find and Replace dialog?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Either type the text you want found and leave regular expressions unticked

OR

enter the expression and tick All, then select MS Word style or Unix

find.jpg

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I use Regular Expressions in the Find and Replace dialog?
            TWRob Level 1

Thanks Peter!

You have given me a very helpful answer which has answered my questions. As I suspected, I was missing something obvious and my question was misleading.

The screenshot you showed is different than the window to which I was referring (i.e. meant to be referring to). Mine was the Find and Replace in Files dialog - thus I was likely looking at the wrong help topic. My company prohibits posting of images, so I could not show it to begin with, but I think you'll be able to follow me. In any case, unless I am mistaken (in which case, I hope you can help me some more ), this means that Robohelp does not allow Regular Expressions across multiple files. So, alas, my hopes have been dashed . However, at least my frustation/confusion has been relieved.

Thanks again.