1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 7:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Files don't show up when Archived

EDMLLC

I need a bit o help please.

I am trying to archive my Premiere CS3 projects to an external USB hard drive.  It is a Western Digital 500GB drive.

I have tried using the project manager by saving a trimmed project and also collecting and saving the whole project.  It seems to save just fine either way but when I plug the WD drive into my laptop and try to open the Premiere project it asks where several files are.  Even after I find them and select them there are still some that are not found and my music files including Smart Sound files just are not there.

I also tried just to drag my entire folder over to the WD Drive to make an exact copy of EVERYTHING, but I still get the same problems.

What am I doint wrong?

Thanks

Ted

• 1. Re: Files don't show up when Archived
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

What you have to remember is that the PRPROJ file (Project file), still has links to the original location (the Path) for the Assets, that existed, when you Archived the Project. It cannot know what the drive letter is going to be later one.

All you have to do is point to the folders with the files, in that new Path, and after you find the first one, PrPro should locate all others, in that folder. [I've had a few instances, where I had to do the manual location, but that is uncommon and I have not clue as to what was amiss with those two Projects, as PrPro usually finds all used Assets in the folder, once you locate the first one.]

Now, when working with externals, remember that the OS will assign the next drive letter, based on the drive letters used. You can set the permanent drive letter for an external in the OS of every machine, where that external will be plugged-in. If you migrate Projects, you WILL want to do this. For every external that I buy, after I make sure that they are NTSF, the next step is to plug it into each computer, go into the OS Disk Management and assign the same drive letter, which will be tied to the external's I.D.

Good luck,

Hunt