18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 7:46 PM by Colin Brougham

CODECs in Win7...where

shooternz Level 6

Where do installed CODECs show in a WIN7 system.

My new machine does not show any CODECs in System >Devices> Video etc..

(QT Pro is absolutely only application  installed)

• 1. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Didn't know how to do this myself, until just now: information pulled from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

If you need to see a list of the Windows Media Player components and codecs installed on your computer, do the following:

1. In the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player. If the Help menu is not visible, click Organize, point to Layout, and then select Show menu bar.        
          2. On the About Windows Media Player dialog box, click Technical Support Information. Your web browser will open a page that includes information about the related binary files, codecs, filters, plug-ins, and services installed on your computer. A technical support person might be able to use this detailed information to help you troubleshoot problems on your computer.        

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
            shooternz Level 6

Thanx Colin.

I will take a look.

BTW: while you are about Colin. A question re P2

Any idea if I still have to "jump thru' the hoops" and install the files from Panasonic...considering that CS4 and CS5 now have native support for P2/mxf.

• 3. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Shouldn't have to, at least not for the files themselves. Now, if you plan to access P2 cards directly with the computer, or you're going to connect a camera via USB and use it as a P2 reader, then yes, you need the drivers. But if you've got a P2 folder structure on a drive, Premiere will be able to access it in Media Browser and edit the footage perfectly well; it has everything it needs built-in.

If you need drivers or P2 Viewer (drivers must be installed first), you can get them here. Obviously, you want the 64-bit version of the drivers; P2 viewer is 32-bit only.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Colin's suggestion (didn't know that one either), when you have installed G-SPOT, you can look under Tables, and get the rundown on all Video, and Audio CODEC's.

Enjoy the new machine.

Hunt

• 5. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                  shooternz Level 6

I wonder why they have made it more difficult to find the CODECs!

Guess I have to install G-Spot. 

• 6. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Good call, Bill--forgot about that.

I actually kind of like the way that the procedure above lays out the information:

wmp_codecs.png

Nice and tidy.

• 7. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

For the last two versions of OS's, it seems that MS wants to deny the existence of CODEC's. In many versions of Vista, they did not even install the MS CODEC's, until one downloaded and installed the Vista CODEC pack - hey, they are ALL MS CODEC's! What's the deal, MS?

Still, Colin's info will be cataloged in the back of my mind, as I would not have had a clue.

Remember, also that the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's will likely show up as corrupt, or not properly installed. This is due to a naming convention that Adobe uses, to "hide" their MainConcept CODEC's from some other programs, that might overwrite them. That is one of the issues with many CODEC "packs" - they overwrite good, paid original CODEC's with "crap" hacked, or reverse engineered free versions. Who would want that? Just a caveat.

Good luck, and be ready to start reporting on this new box in the hardware forum,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

It was the least that I could do. After all, you nailed me on at least two mistakes, or mis-interpretations, lately - with the correct answer, I must add.

G-Spot is a sweet little utility, except that it (and Sherlock the CODEC Detective) gives false-positives on Adobe MainConcept CODEC's, due to a naming convention in the Registry.

By my count, I still owe you one...

Hunt

• 9. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

You crack me up, Bill

It's all in the spirit of level-headed discourse. We sure don't get enough of that these days--here or elsewhere.

I'll let you keep score, if you wanna

• 10. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin: 250

Bill: 236

But hey! I was down by about 125, so I'm closing on you...

At the end of the day, if we can help a few users, even ones as cantankerous as Craig... then life is good.

Take care,

Hunt

BTW - are you in the UK, or is that my imagination?

• 11. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                              shooternz Level 6

Thanx Bill.

I did notice that about the Main Concept CODECs.

Box is coming together nicely and I am starting to get used to the difference between XP and WIN7 (and they are different).

Basically now:

I am installing the must have stuff and the stuff that I figure made my CS4 edit experience so good.

Setting up drives. pagefile, indexing etc

Thinking about what issues I might have with plugins

Surprising how long it takes but I am doing it as I wander between the suites. (Got 8 edits on the go at the moment so its nice to have a distraction and a play)

• 12. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah... Craig is a pretty tough customer...

No, sir--I'm in the nosebleed section, AKA the Northern Lower Peninsula of the Great State of Michigan. And by "Great State" I mean, "Hey, look! We're at the bottom! We cain't go nowheres but up... right?"

All in jest

• 13. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

You're going to like W7, I think. Yes, it's a pretty radical departure from XP, especially if you skipped Vista (which it kind of sounds like you did), so it'll take a little bit of getting used to. However, once you're in the flow, if you go back to an XP machine you'll be cussing out loud because it just seems so clunky.

Vista was all about putting polish on a cowpie. Windows 7 actually puts the polish on usability and useful features, and gives a pretty excellent experience all around. There are some features you'll find that make a MUCH better operating system for media creation than Windows ever was before.

• 14. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm going to be following in your footsteps, but will not be there until probably August - September, so I will be following your "travels" and "travails."

As for Indexing, think about that, assuming that you are referring to Windows Indexing. That app. is a way to speed up Search. It works great for DOC, TXT, etc., but does not work for AV files, though it will try, and try, locking the files, as it tries. Often, this will keep an NLE from being able to access those files, whether just AV, or the working files for PrPro, Encore, etc. If you feel the need for it, limit it to your DOC, TXT, etc., folders ONLY. Besides locking those files, it takes CPU cycles and resources. On your Harm-beater system, this might not be an issue, but the locking of the files can be.

Enjoy, and please keep the reports coming. John T. Smith is in the boat with me, though probably a few months ahead in his big jump. Others WILL benefit, I guarantee it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                      shooternz Level 6

Now I have looked at Colin and Bills "solution"...it makes me wonder how one manages CODECs.in WIN7

Seemingly, neither solution allows one to remove a CODEC if need arises!

• 16. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, there ARE uninstall regimes for CODEC's, but often not. For those with no provision for doing so, I would suspect that a Registry edit would be required, unless Win7 has some sort of CODEC manager. You will have to tell me, if there is one, as I know zero of Win7, and have never even used Vista.

CODEC's are almost always .dll's, and will appear in some folder at the system level. They are called from the Registry. This means that if there is not a manager, or uninstall app., the Registry needs to be modified, and to clean things up, the .dll removed from the system folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am a big believer in only installing the exact CODEC that I need, when I need it. I handle a lot of "stuff," so probably have more CODEC's installed, than the average user. I also try to go to the "source," and shun "free" CODEC's, if there is a commercial version available.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 17. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I can't explicitly endorse it, as I've had no use for it myself, but this program might do what you need: Preferred Filter Tweaker

What I can say is that I've been banging on Windows 7 for a few months now, and I haven't had a single codec related issue; of course, I'm usually only working with the known "good" codecs and am pretty selective about what makes it onto my system.

• 18. Re: CODECs in Win7...where
                                            shooternz Level 6

@Bill

I meant...Indexing is turned off in all my drives.

CODECs.

I certainly have never installed any weird CODECs for any reason but I do currently have the following (plus encoders) in my CS4 system and these have all served me well.

Adobe Premiere, Matrox , QTPro and whatever comes in WINDOWS XP plus I have DVCPROHD Encoder and a RaylightHD Encoder (FCP movs to Windows movs),

Thats about it.