4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 12:29 AM by sneakyimp

Possible to create a *bunch* of timed events

sneakyimp Level 2
      I have CS3. I was wondering if there might be some built-in component or class which can help me launch a series of events to synchronize with a movie. I've considered using FLVPlaybackCaptioning, but I can't seem to get that component to trigger the captioning events without actually rendering them on my movie. I don't want those captions on my movie - I want to perform a variety of customized actions depending on the frame (or current time) of an FLV file. Also (and perhaps more importantly) I need these events to have considerably more data than just a name, some text, and a duration. I also need parameters like x, y, height, width, etc which I expect to define in XML or some other structured data object.

Is there some easy way to do this? I've considered parsing all of my XML at first and creating a series of timers, HOWEVER I'm not sure this will work because someone might pause the movie in which case I'd have to cancel all those timeouts and recreate them all when the movie starts.

In the meantime, the FLVPlaybackCaptioning thing is *almost* exactly what I need but not quite. As I mentioned before, I can't find a way to get the FLVPlaybackCaptioning events to fire without the captioning object molesting my FLVPlayback with its ugly captions.
        • 1. Re: Possible to create a *bunch* of timed events
          Level 7
          Hi --

Are your timed events simply captions over a video?

Rich

"sneakyimp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fcnrhe$gpb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have CS3. I was wondering if there might be some built-in component or
          >class
          > which can help me launch a series of events to synchronize with a movie.
          > I've
          > considered using FLVPlaybackCaptioning, but I can't seem to get that
          > component
          > to trigger the captioning events without actually rendering them on my
          > movie.
          > I don't want those captions on my movie - I want to perform a variety of
          > customized actions depending on the frame (or current time) of an FLV
          > file.
          > Also (and perhaps more importantly) I need these events to have
          > considerably
          > more data than just a name, some text, and a duration. I also need
          > parameters
          > like x, y, height, width, etc which I expect to define in XML or some
          > other
          > structured data object.
          >
          > Is there some easy way to do this? I've considered parsing all of my XML
          > at
          > first and creating a series of timers, HOWEVER I'm not sure this will work
          > because someone might pause the movie in which case I'd have to cancel all
          > those timeouts and recreate them all when the movie starts.
          >
          > In the meantime, the FLVPlaybackCaptioning thing is *almost* exactly what
          > I
          > need but not quite. As I mentioned before, I can't find a way to get the
          > FLVPlaybackCaptioning events to fire without the captioning object
          > molesting my
          > FLVPlayback with its ugly captions.
          >

• 2. Re: Possible to create a *bunch* of timed events
            sneakyimp Level 2
            The timed events are more complex than just captions so the basic functionality of FLVPlaybackCaptioning doesn't quite do what I need. I need to be able to give them x and y coordinates, possibly associate images, names, urls, and other data with them.

Also, as I described, the FLVPlaybackCaptioning thing is *almost* perfect, however, I can't seem to find a way to get it to fire its caption events without actually displaying them on the associated FLVPlayback object.
            • 3. Re: Possible to create a *bunch* of timed events
              Greg Dove Level 4
              Can't you just use the regular actionscript cuepoints that the FLVPlayback offers.
              In terms of the properties of the events there are two ways to do it...for x, y urls etc.
              You can load up the actionscript cuepoint with all sorts of data... but you presumably already have that somewhere else.. in an xml object or array or whatever ("in XML or some other structured data object."), so why double up on things. All the actionscript cuepoint needs to do is give you a way to reference it...e.g.. the array index in the source data object.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/00002981.html#wp3706401

• 4. Re: Possible to create a *bunch* of timed events
                sneakyimp Level 2
                Thanks for the responses! This is sounding good...I plan to test it myself when I get a second or two. I'll come back with some results in a bit.