6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2010 8:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Quality Loss when sharing

Xiaan77

I have recently upgraded from Windows Movie Maker to Premiere Elements 8 and I have noticed a considerable loss in quality when I have burned my project.  The source media is pretty poor, I use a Panasonic VDR-D160 mini DVD camcorder (yes it is a total nightmare getting importing the footage), and when I import the footage it is a .VOB file.  The stats for the .VOB files I am working with are 704 x 576 picture that goes at 25 frames per second.  The data rate is 9558kbps and the total bitrate is 9814kbps.

The first project I have done is very straight forward, with minimal editing and no effects.  However, when I burn it to a DVD or a DVD folder it changes the frame to 720 x 576 and reduces both the data rate and bit rate to 7464kbps and 7656kbps respectively.  This creates an obvious pixilation of the image - especially for parts of the video that are moving and it can be seen on lower resolution televisions.  In sharing/publishing the video, how do I retain the same quality as the original?  I have been through the help, and due to my lack of understanding of premiere elements I have not been able to figure out whether it is just a matter of changing one of the settings.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
          nealeh Level 5

PRE doesn't especially like VOB files. You would be best converting them to DV-AVI before using in PRE. This article will be helpful - What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

If you have been satisfied with the results in Windows Movie Maker then that is probably your best tool to perform the conversion.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you are starting with material that has already been compressed heavily to the MPEG-2 format/CODEC. Then you are editing and outputting to a Scaled up (the DVD-spec for PAL) and then re-compressed to MPEG-2. This is a triple whammie. Because PrE does not do "smart Rendering," what you see is what you will get.

A better choice for limited editing, basically just Trimming the material, would be a program that does "smart Rendering," where all material, that was not altered, except to remove portions of it, would NOT be Transcoded a second time to MPEG-2. I believe that some of the Sony Vegas products do this, but there are others. If you Google "smart rendering," you will see several programs, that feature this. I would choose from those.

You will still have the Scaling issue, unless you completely allow your smaller than spec. material to be surrounded by black. If you Scale in an editing program, even with smart Rendering, it will then need to be Transcoded to MPEG-2 all over again.

With that footage, the choices are very limited.

Good luck, and sorry for the bad news.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
              temper.999

APE8 does not do "Smart Rendering" for mpeg2?

Is that realy true?

• 4. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that is true. PrE, like PrPro, is based on an I-frame, DV-AVI format. Your material is GOP, and to get frame-accurate editing, the material must be converted, either internally, or externally, to I-frame. This ARTICLE will give you some background on GOP.

Some NLE's are designed to handle the MPEG, GOP, material natively, and if only the Durations have changed, use those MPEG's as they are. Google will give you a list of the various programs, that offer "smart rendering."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
                  Xiaan77 Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will be purchasing a new video camera!  And I will stick with Movie Maker for those projects that use the VOB files.

• 6. Re: Quality Loss when sharing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with your Projects,

Hunt