7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 7:43 AM by Scott Chichelli

Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??

hewiepro

for us newbies...what

would be the Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??

thx

• 1. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Off the shelf systems are not suitable for editing in their standard configuration. This means you have to add a number of components, most notably disks and all suppliers like Dell and HP steal you blind on the extras required. Within a given budget, that means making concessions to the base configuration and thus performance. It is better to build it yourself or go to a reputable shop with a desired configuration and have them build it for you.

In addition, Dell and HP systems are not capable of overclocking, due to their crippled BIOS, so you may need a more expensive and faster CPU at mega $$ to get a similar performance as a custom built system.

• 2. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

google "adobe editing computer"

• 3. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
              hewiepro Level 1

ok...dell and hp steal

you blind on necessary upgrades...is the customer support and "security" offered by

them a good enough trade off with the "build it yourself/have it custom built" danger of not knowing what to do if/when things go wrong?

i am just looking to do low level (but high quality) professionasl stuff...i.e. budget weddings/training/memorials/recitals etc. and feel i am not far enough along on the high tech learning curve...but moving as fast as i can.

ALSO...and maybe this is another conversation...but:

is the miniDV tape (for SD and HDV) about over now and are we comletely into the "tapeless" video era?

thanks for all your help.

• 4. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                is the customer support and "security" offered by them a good enough trade off with the "build it yourself/have it custom built" danger of not knowing what to do if/when things go wrong?

This question is as easy to answer as do I need a travel insurance and is it worth the premium? It depends on the degree to which you travel, the coverage, the risk, etc. If all your travels amount to visiting your daughter-in-law in the next city once a year around Christmas, it is different than traveling abroad 300+ days a year with expensive equipment to countries like Afghanistan, Iran, Columbia, etc.

Personally I find it not worth the premium price, but that is just me.

Tape is not out. People often find that they got lured into getting AVCHD cameras by the sales person, because it is a new hype, but what they are not told is that often it requires a new PC as well. Tape is there for the next years, because the media are cheap, it is reliable and it offers a great backup of your original footage.

• 5. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

when is the last time you tried to buy a tape cam?

not even available now....

• 7. Re: Best $3K off the shelf system for CS5??
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

i stand corrected

i forgot about the gl2 still being sold i always think of it as a chruch cam (not using tape).

the only people who call with a "tape" anymore are home hobbiest...

every pro level client has P2 (AVCintro or DVCprohd) or XDcam (or Red) with many moving to AVCHD....

like it or not tape is dead and avchd is here to stay (until the next great marketing sceme)