5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2007 9:18 AM by PKENGLISH

FLV Volume problem

PKENGLISH
      Hi, I am trying to load a FLV into a video object then detecting the end so i can gotoAndPlay the next frame. I am able to get all this to work but for some reason I cannot set the volume to mute. Here is the code I am using:

myNetconnection = new NetConnection();
      myNetconnection.connect(null);
      myStream = new NetStream(myNetconnection);
      myStream.setBufferTime(1);
      COF_Large.attachVideo(myStream);
      myStream.play("COF_Large.flv");
      myStream.volume=0;

myStream.onStatus = function(info)
      {
      //trace("info="+info.code);
      if (info.code == "NetStream.Play.Stop")
      {
      // Set flag, we will need to wait for
      // "NetStream.Buffer.Empty" Signaling the end.
      gotoAndStop(3);
      }
      }

can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: FLV Volume problem
          urbanrevolution
          try

myStream.setVolume(0);

good luck
          • 2. Re: FLV Volume problem
            Greg Dove Level 4
            I tend to use FLPlayback for most of my video stuff... but I had it in the back of my head that if you want to control the audio from a NetStream object you have to use Movieclip.attachAudio(NetStreamObj). In fact NetStream does not have a volume property. At least not in as2 I didn't check as3.

Actually there's another step beyond that... creating a new Sound instance that references the audio in the MovieClip. Then you can control the volue with that Sound instance.

Its all explained here:
            http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/00001892.html#wp364316
            • 3. Re: FLV Volume problem
              PKENGLISH Level 1
              Thanks for that link... This is my first time playing a FLV through AS, I have always used the FLPlayback before this. Do you know if there is any advantage to either way? I figured i would try it this way since I hadn't before but if its all the same I might as well go back to using the FLV component.

Overall this seems to be a bigger hassle. The main thing I was trying to avoid was the sandbox violation that comes with cross domains (but i see that i still have that problem doing it this way). I am trying to create an expandable video ad unit but the ad server rejects files with that security issue. Do you happen to know a work around for that?

Thanks again.
              • 4. FLV Volume problem
                adobeuser999
                quote:

Originally posted by: PKENGLISH
                ...This is my first time playing a FLV through AS, I have always used the FLPlayback before this. Do you know if there is any advantage to either way?

yep, the swf file size. SWF ads are supposed to be 30K or less & if you use the FLVPlayback component , you can't add too much more to your movie. Using AS to control FLV takes only less than 2K.
                • 5. Re: FLV Volume problem
                  PKENGLISH Level 1
                  Thanks a lot everyone! I was able to get it to work perfect (audio & video) as well as keep it under 28K by using AS to control the video.