14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 2:18 AM by nealeh

PE7 and No Sound After Import

OutdoorVideoNut

I've spent my entire day googling and reading the forum here for how to resolve my issue but I'm at the point I gotta ask (I know how popular of a problem this is).

I have an AVI file (large, 1.65 GB) that plays fine in WMP.  When I GET MEDIA into PE7 it doesn't have sound.  What's odd is SOME AVI files work, but some do not.

I have followed Hunt's step by step instructions on troubleshooting, and download all codecs including ASIO4ALL and everything...no luck.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/557422?tstart=30

I downloaded GSPOT and I'm using MPEG2 codec (not sure what else I need from it)

I've tried to edit in WMM but the file size crashes it every time and I really need this video edited for my work.

A HUGE high five to anyone who can help, I'm definitely in need.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVIs can use any of hundreds of audio and video codecs -- many of which won't work in Premiere Elements. (It's not possible that your AVI is using an MPEG2 codec. There must be some mistake.)

The easiest way to find out what codec your file uses is to open it in Windows Media Player and go to File/Properties.

It might also help to know what kind of camcorder this video came from.

If the codec is compatible with the program, it's also possible you need to configure your ASIO settings on the Audio Hardware page of Premiere Elements preferences (under the Edit menu).

• 2. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
            OutdoorVideoNut Level 1

My bad on the encoder, trying to follow a lot of new info about Gspot.

With your advice, the encoder is "InterVideo Audio Decoder".

The camera is a SDR-H200.

SOME of the AVI's produced work, others do not.  Does it matter about the size of the file?  I didn't think so but it appears all those over a GB seem to not work, smaller one's do (could be a fluke on this run).

• 3. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
              OutdoorVideoNut Level 1

In regards to:

If the codec is compatible with the program, it's also possible you need to configure your ASIO settings on the Audio Hardware page of Premiere Elements preferences (under the Edit menu).

There's a lot of greek in the ASIO settings - what in particular should I be looking for that could help?

• 4. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import

If you go into the program's Audio Hardware preferences, you'll find a button marked ASIO Settings.Check to see if these settings match your computer's hardware (i.e., that the sound is porting out to the jack where your speakers are plugged in and not to the front jacks, etc.).

Premiere Elements should be able to work with the audio and video from that camcorder if you are downloading the video files into the program using the Media Downloader (under Get Media). You'll likely have trouble, however, if you try to capture the video using third-party capture software, including the software that came with the cam.

• 5. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                  OutdoorVideoNut Level 1

Thanks for your help Steve.

I tried your suggestions and downloaded through "get media" but there's still no sound.

Like I stated earlier, troubleshooting is so difficult since some work, some don't.

Any other suggestions?

• 6. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the AVI "wrapper," this ARTICLE will give you some background.

For Audio issues, this ARTICLE might offer some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                      OutdoorVideoNut Level 1

Thank Bill, I did already go through all the steps on your audio troubleshooting list...lots of good info in there but I'm still striking out.  Hopefully I'll hit the mark with some more research.   

I have tried on another computer as well and that didn't have audio either.         

• 8. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                        nealeh Level 5

Assuming your camera is this one: Panasonic HDR-200, it should ship with the Pixela MediaBrowser software. If you capture your footage into this software do you then have the feature to export or convert to another format? Being an SD camera, the ideal format for PRE is DV-AVI. I note from the specifications page that frame rate is 60i, whereas PRE prefers 30 for NTSC and 25 for PAL. There have been some recent discussions addressing the 60 fps and it will be worth your while looking at some of them.

[added] Here is a recent discussion suggesting that the Pixela software can export.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Message was edited by: nealeh added [added]

• 9. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import

I agree, Neale. The issue is that this is a hybrid camcorder and that it's recording to an audio codec that's incompatible with the program.

I can't find detailed specs on the cam. Does it have the option to record to more than one format, as some cams do?

Version 8 does include a project setting for working with hybrid cams -- but I've never heard of this audio codec before, and I'm not sure what to do with it.

• 10. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                            nealeh Level 5

From the review page the formats are 720x480 (8.5Mbps), 720x480 (5.5Mbps), 720x480 (4.2Mbps), 352x240  (1.5Mbps).

Encodes as:

• Video   MPEG-2
                            • Sound  Dolby Digital (2ch).

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import

So how did he get audio with the InterVideo Audio Decoder codec?

Simply downloading the files directly from the camcorder should not have changed the original codec.

• 12. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                                nealeh Level 5

Intervideo historically is linked to the software player WinDVD. This now looks to be a part of the Corel product line. As you say, how on earth did the OP's footage end up with this codec?

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                                  OutdoorVideoNut Level 1

Wow, I didn't realize the software made that much of a difference.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!   

The software ImageMixer 3 that I found buried in the software pile was the ticket.

• 14. Re: PE7 and No Sound After Import
                                    nealeh Level 5

Glad to hear it's working. Did Imagemixer 3 come with the camera? Hopefully you can find export options within it that can produce PRE friendly files.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale