4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 10:12 AM by cheftimo

Shopping cart

ScottFriebel

I'm looking to build a flex based shopping cart system and am looking for a bit more info.

- Where can I find info on securing the connection and keeping it secure throughout the ordering process?

- Flex based carts don't seem to be very popular. Is there a common reason for this? A reason that using standard html pages for the whole process would be better?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Shopping cart
          David_F57 Level 5

hi,

Shopping carts and payment methods are separate logic, I think that one of the reasons that flex isn't used is that there was a million options for carts available by the time flex hit the market. With flex there are several shopping cart examples around including the Adobe flexstore one. Payment methods are a little different and with flex  the fastest way and easiest way is to use paypal(there are several examples around).

David.

• 2. Re: Shopping cart
            ScottFriebel Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. I've been looking through more of the examples, and in the example here - http://examples.adobe.com/flex3app/flex15/flexstore/flexstore.mxml?versionChecked=true the flex app contains the entire order process including entering credit card info. Many other examples I've seen show the app redirecting the user to a separate page to enter their bill to/ship to/credit card info to charge through PayPal. Is there a solution to allow payment processing through the flex app without redirecting the user? Where can I find info on this? Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Shopping cart
              David_F57 Level 5

hi,

With flex I found it easier just to use the paypal redirect, I didn't have to worry about verifications etc, I haven't had the chance to use paypal direct but that apparently is a little better, and with paypal, creditcard holders can still use it without being paypal clients. In flex you can create itemised carts which paypal accept as part of their invoicing mechanism. 

The nice thing with paypal is they have a developer sandbox which allows you to test your software as if it was on the internet so you know that before release all the glitches are gone(very important with ecommerce).

Not sure about other countries but in Australia its a pain with direct payment verification as you need to go through all sorts of hoops with the banks in order to do direct online trading and payment verification.

David.

• 4. Re: Shopping cart
                cheftimo Level 2

Scott, if you insist on doing the whole process in Flex, you should get the Flex Training from the Source book. It’s a tutorial in which you build an online grocery store from scratch, all the way to doing a checkout.

I am not a programmer or developer, but using what I learned in that book, I built an app based on this sample, http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/samples/flex_store/ (not the same as the one you show above). The sample is a catalog of 18 products, but the project I did has about 1300 products – it’s working fine.

If you look into this and want more info, just post again.

Have fun,

Carlos