5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 12:57 PM by Scott Chichelli

iMac advice

• I am looking at a new computer and plan to use Adobe Production Premium for editing photos and video. No uncompressed HD, possible HD from a digital slr. Will these specs for an iMac work?

• 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
      • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
      • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
      • ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
        • 1. Re: iMac advice
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For HD, I think you need a Quad Core processor

I could be wrong, but I think that DDR3 memory is best used in sets of 3... at least I know that when I build a 64bit computer for CS5 in 2-3 months, I am going to buy 6x2=12Gig

One hard drive is not enough even for SD video editing

What I now use, and what I am going to build, are discussed on my notes page at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

I get bye "OK" now with 2 drives, but for CS5 I will have 3... with the 1T drive being for data

You should have AT LEAST 2 drives... 160Gig for all software (I am going with 320Gig since the price difference is so small) and then the 1T for all data

A 3rd drive... mine will be 320Gig... for all temporary "scratch" files will also help

• 2. Re: iMac advice
            bphel Level 1

Thanks for the info. Do you know of a custom built provider that offers the nVidia GTX 285? I don't want to build one myself, but have looked at trying to have one built, but can't find this video card as an option.

• 3. Re: iMac advice
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

the imac would be great for photoshop but not for video editing.

its very limited in its expansion ability so at best USB or 1 firewire drive both are horribly slow for video

also as mentioned the Quad 27" is the only one even worth considering from a CPU power POV.

frankly you are far better off with a PC for Adobe, i sell both so this is not a bias answer!

Adobe runs far better on a PC due to multithreading issues in OSX

you cant add a 285 into the imac either.

• 4. Re: iMac advice
                bphel Level 1

Pretty sure I will end up getting a pc. Do you know of an online builder that offers the 285?

• 5. Re: iMac advice
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

google "adobe nle computer"