17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 2:15 PM by Steve Grisetti

Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)

rrwwis

I am having a problem with Premiere Elements 7.  It was installed in January of this year and worked fine then.  I didn't do any video editing for a few months and came back to it recently.  Now I am having a problem opening old Version 7 projects and creating new projects.  The program stalls with the error "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires....".  I have been reading forum discussions about this error and have tried the suggested fixes but nothing so far has resolved the problem.  I have checked for upgrades on all drivers and upgraded those that needed it.  Quicktime is uptodate.  My Device Manager shows no driver problems.  I have run Disk Cleanup and removed all files that it found.  I have recreated Preferences, Styles and the Plug-In Cache.  I have done a Repair & Reinstall of PE7.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  I have an Intel quad core processor with 8 GB of ram with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.  My OS drive has 126 GB of free space.  My video drive has 325 GB free space.  My drives are defragmented weekly and show no fragmentation.  My system checks for Windows Updates daily and installs them automatically.

Any help in solving this problem would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a couple of things.

Windows 7 64-bit has been known to cause a lot of problems for Premiere Elements users. However, that may not be the case here.

I also don't recommend opening projects that were created with older versions of Premiere Elements with version 7. That too has bee known to cause buggy behavior.

But most often the symptoms you describe are related to your source media. What kind of camcorder did you video come from and how did you get it onto your computer?

• 2. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
            rrwwis Level 1

Most of the time, I can not even open projects that were created earlier in this Version 7 and I cannot create a new project.  Once in awhile, my PE7 will open up a project or create a new one without the "Sorry" error.  This morning after several attempts, I was able to create two new test projects, one with video only and one with stills only.  Then I attempted a series of nine reloads of each of these test projects.  I have designated Y for successfull reload without error and N for failed reload with the "Sorry" error.  For the video only test project, I observed the following results in this order:  N, Y, N, Y, N, N, N, N, N.  For the project with stills only: Y, Y, N, Y, N, N, N, N, N.  Then, I attempted to create another new project with five successive failures:  N, N, N, N, N.  At the moment, I am back to square one, not able to open a project or create a new one.

My video was produced with a Canon HDV20 camcorder.  The video was captured using Premiere Elements 4.  My stills were saved using Photoshop CS4.

• 3. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. This "something" can be new hardware, software, or changes in the OS.

In case something is robbing you of necessary resources (lots of different error messages attached to this), then this ARTICLE might be useful. In Task Manager, how many programs/processed do you have running at boot? Can you post a screen-cap, or multiple screen-caps to show what those are?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                nealeh Level 5

I strongly urge you to take an immediate and complete backup of your hard disk(s). To get such inconsistent results in your test suggest to a me problem, not with PRE, but with your system. Possibly motherboard, memory or hard disk heading for failure.

You should also check cooling. Are any of your ventilation slots clogged with dust? Can you hear the fan(s) going?

It may be useful for you to find out what temperatures your system is reaching. Your system may already have a utility for monitoring internal temperatures or, if not, one usually available from the motherboard suppliers website.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For some system testing tools and utilities, the linked thread in this ARTICLE might be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                    rrwwis Level 1

In response to Bill Hunt, I am posting screen captures of processes running on my computer.

Please note that PE4 has always and continues to work fine on my computer with no problems opening or creating projects.  My problem concerns PE7.  By the way, I also have the same problem with PE8 only with PE8, it stalls when opening or creating a project and leaves a blank workspace instead of the "Sorry" error message.

Processes Dell 710 b.JPGProcesses Dell 710 a.JPGProcesses Dell 710 c.JPG

• 7. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                      nealeh Level 5

You  have a lot of resource hungry applications there.

Firstly permanently uninstall the 'DrgToDsc.exe' feature. this will have been installed with Roxio. These processes to fool Windows into seeing a drive as a hard disk are notorious for causing application problems across the world! The Nero equivalent 'InCD' is just as bad. You don't really need it as the remaining Roxio components can manage all your burning needs.

Next, temporarily, while researching your problem disable all processes related to Acronis, McAfee and Roxio. These all generally provide some sort of continuous system monitoring and draw resources that PRE could use.

If this should then resolve your error add them back one at a time and retest. Eventually this should show which one is conflicting with PRE.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with those suggestions, there are more, and similar tips in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                          rrwwis Level 1

As suggested by nealeh, I uninstalled the "DrgToDsc.exe".  Also, attempted to disable all Acronis, McAfee and Roxio processes to determine if any of them conflicted with PE7.  Three of the McAfee processes could not be disabled.  Also, disabled my PowerDVD.exe process.  None of this helped so I still could not load old projects or create new ones with PE7.

Then my luck changed for the better.  I went to McAfee Security Center and turned OFF the real-time virus scanning and BINGO!  The problem was solved.  I have loaded old projects and created new ones over 30 times without a single failure.  No more "Sorry, ......." messages.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions and gave encouragement during this struggle.

• 10. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                            nealeh Level 5

Please to hear it is all sorted. Unless you have a genuine need for it, I recommend you leave DrgToDsc uninstalled.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                              rrwwis Level 1

As I indicated above, I have found that turning off my McAfee real-time scanning allows me to load and create projects with Premiere Elements 7.  However, it seems risky to be disabling the real-time virus scanning and it's not convenient to have to deprive my network of internet access while I am doing video editing.  Is there any other way to deal with this conflict between PE7 and McAfee real-time scanning?

• 12. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)

The easiest solution is to remove it and to go with Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

I'm not being flip. I'm serious. Security Essentials is a back-to-basics antivirus and antispyware program that works so un-intrusively, yet effectively, you should have no program conflicts at all with it.

And best of all, it's absolutely free!

• 13. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                                  marsham3

I was having this exact same problem with Premiere Elements 7, and turning off MacAfee real time virus scanning worked for me too.  Can you explain why this works?  I had first tried all the other recommended steps -- renaming the preferences and styles folders, holding down the CTRL-Shift and also just the shift key when starting up Premiere Elements to recreate the PluginCache -- but none of those worked.  Turning off Virus scanning worked.   (I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium sp2.)  Like the previous person, I don't really want to disable virus scanning all the time.  And I suppose I could switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.  But MacAfee is also free for me.  I've been using it for quite a while with no problems.  So before I switch, I'd like to have a better understanding of why that would cause the problem.

The last time I used Premiere Elements (about 1 month ago), it worked fine.  When I tried to use it yesterday, I got the above error message any time I tried to open a new or existing project.  I'm not really sure what changed in the interim, except for installing Windows Updates as recommended.  I recently upgraded to sp2.  Could that have anything to do with this?  (BTW, this problem occurred on my laptop, HP Pavilion dv6.  PE7 still works fine on my Dell desktop with Windows XP Media Edition, sp3, with MacAfee real time virus scanning turned on.)

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)

As I said above, McAfee and Norton are notorious resource hogs that can easily choke an intensive process like video editing.

Switch to Avast! Free or Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall (not a third-party firewall) and your problems will go away.

You'll also save a couple of bucks!

• 15. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

What can often happen with "real-time scanning," is that many files get locked, while they are scanned, upon access, i.e. read, or during writes. This means that the large working files are not available to PrE, when it needs them. Windows Indexing can do the same thing.

For a video-editing session, I recommend the tips in this ARTICLE (plus the many tuneup tips in there, as well). Video-editing is an intense operation, even on a stout machine, and many things can get in the way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)
                                        marsham3 Level 1

Thanks.  Your responses and the article are very helpful.  Just out of curiosity, can you venture a guess as to why I was able to use PRE 7 about a month ago with no problem, and now I can't?  Is there something specific about the Vista sp2 upgrade?

• 17. Re: Sorry, a serious error has occurred...(Premiere Elements 7)

Without sitting down at your computer or knowing all of its specs and configurations, I don't think we can, Marsham.

So, if you'd like to explore it further, please start a new topic and list all of the information you can about your hardware, operating system and configuration and we'll do the best we can.