6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 7:55 PM by jendehaan

Motion Preset XML file not found

Queative

I created a custom Motion Preset, and saved the corresponding swf file to .../adobe/adobe flash cs4/Common/Motion Presets. When I looked for the xml file, nothing. The preset does show within the Motion Preset Panel under Custom, but no preview. I also search for the xml within the .../en/Motion Preset directory as well. Any idea where this preset file may be hiding. I'm on a PC and all applications located within my Program Files directory.

• 1. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
          jendehaan Level 4

If you want a preview for your custom preset, you need to also add a corresponding SWF file with the same name.

Here's an extension that helps make the process easier: http://ajarproductions.com/blog/2008/10/16/flash-extension-export-as-motion-preset-preview /

• 2. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
            Queative Level 1

Right, I understand you need a corresponding swf named the same. That I did and it shows in the Motion Preset directory, but no XML file. My question was if this file (the xml file) isn't located in the Motion Preset directory, where would Flash save it to?

• 3. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
              jendehaan Level 4

The XML is in this directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS4\en\Configuration\Motion Presets

Or, you can right-click the preset and choose "Export" to get at the tweens XML.

• 4. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
                Queative Level 1

Thanks, but I'm on a PC (unfortunately), so I go to c:\program files\adobe\adobe flash cs4\common\configuration\motion presets. I did check the ...\en\configuration\motion presets\ directory as well, but no xml files found in that folder (except one, names.xml).  I'll try the right-click, export approach and copy it to where I have the corresponding swf file. Which, btw, is where I found all the preloaded motion presets.

Also, I love your site and will frequent it often!

• 5. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
                  Queative Level 1

jdehaan, followed your instructions: right-clicked, exported to \configuration\motion preset\ directory and, wahla! Except, my preset now shows in the Default Presets panel, which is fine, but I sure would like to know where the Customs Preset directory is? Maybe I should create one within Motion Presets? Anyway, I'll continue to learn how to create my own motion presets (with help from your site of course) and if they populate in the Default Presets panel, then I don't think I'll be harmed by it.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!  p.s., I downloaded your plug-in and will see if that helps with future presets creation.

Queative

• 6. Re: Motion Preset XML file not found
                    jendehaan Level 4

Hey there!  That isn't my site (I'm at Flashthusiast.com), but the Ajar productions belongs to the talented developer Justin Putney (who also comes around these forums).

The custom presets are saved in the directory I noted above, which is PC however a Vista based path - I suspect you're on XP?  It should be something similar -- if I remember correctly XP starts out with something like C:\Documents and Settings \<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\(etc).