14 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 8:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Not 100% widescreen

AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Until now I am a little bit confused with my new Canon Legria FS21-camera. When I import the modfiles to

Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 and let Adobe produce a dvd (VIDEO_TS-file including vobfiles etc), and play the DVD on a dvdplayer, the film on the TV-screen is not "full" widescreen as it is when Adobe produces dvd:s based on input files from my Canon HV20-camera and my Flip Ultra HD-camera. The filmscreen is a little bit "narrow" with black stripes to the left and right. This has nothing to do with the chosen TV-screenoption. The film in Adobe is shown as full widescreen. I have of course started the Adobeproject as a widescreenproject.

• 1. Re: Not 100% widescreen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If the DVD plays as widescreen when you play it on your computer, it just means that your DVD player is not automatically

conforming to the widescreen disc.

If that's the case (and it often is with home-burned DVDs), you just need to set your DVD player to widescreen manually.

• 2. Re: Not 100% widescreen
            AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Thank you for you answer. My two DVD-players is already in widescreen-mode. BUT I have to correct myself! When I play the Adobeproduced videofiles (vob) in the computer (Real Player or Media Player Classic) the format IS NOT 16:9, exactly as it is when I play the Adobeproduce DVD in my DVD-players.

But when I play the filmclips in the Adobeproject it seems as the film has 16:9-format. The project is also started as a 16:9-project, which was chosen when the project is started and I can see that this option is not changed.

Strange, as 16:9 is the only option the Canon Legria FS21-cameras has.

• 3. Re: Not 100% widescreen
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, Alfons. I have no solution for you.

The challenge is in the video format you're working with. It often needs to be manually interpreted to widescreen in Premiere Elements. But, if you're using the correct widescreen project preset and the picture looks right in Premiere Elements, I know of no reason it won't produce a widescreen DVD.

You may want to post this issue to the Community forum at http://Muvipix.com. Muvipix is one of the friendliest most knowledgeable community you'll find on the web -- and, if there's a solution, chances are someone there can find it.

• 4. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways that cameras produce Widescreen material"

1.) they shoot 4:3 and then crop the footage to reflect a 16:9 Aspect Ratio

2.) they shoot 16:9, anamorphic, and then squeeze that to 4:3, and it must be unsqueezed to get back to 16:9

3.) they shoot full 16:9 and the material will have a flag to identify the material as 16:9

Not sure what method your camera uses. Each can have totally different end-effects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                  AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Well, the camera shoots full 16:9 (= the only menuoption: there is no 4:3 option) and the format of the output-mod.files seem to be 16:9 as these files are shown as 16:9-formatfilm when they are played in Nero Show Time.

Now have unistalled Adobe Pr Elements 4.0 and reinstalled it and now the very strange thing occurs that the input modfiles are shown as 4:3-files in the Adobe-window (the project is started as a 16:9 project). For some reason the Adobe-program seems to treat the 16:9-inputmod-files as 4:3-files and the reason for this what to to about it is beyond my competence. 

• 6. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Again, this could be how the camera mfgr. does Widescreen. Is it anamorphic? That a player can read the flags properly is not indicative of how an NLE will read those flags. As an example, QT Player misses some of the gamma flags in MOV files, done on the Mac in either PrPro or FCP.

In PrE, when you Rt-click on one of the Clips, and choose Interpret Footage, first, what does it show, and second, if it shows 4:3, how does it look when you "force" 16:9?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                      AlfonsMallgan Level 1

I`m ashamed to confess that it was a camera setup issue! But thank you very much for your help.

• 8. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                        AlfonsMallgan Level 1

When I Rt-click on one of the Clips, and choose Interpret Footage and "force" 16:9, the film clip gets unstable.

• 9. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                          Waverly Wafer

Can you tell us what the setup issue was.  I have a Canon FS22.  It shoots widescreen standard def to flash inbuilt memory.  Importing files to my hard drive has them showing up and playing as widescreen in Windows Explorer/Media Player (Win 7) - all seems OK.  However, import these files into Premiere Elements 7 and they take on a 4:3 ratio by squashing in from the sides.  The PE7 project is set to widescreen import from flash drive camera, so I think I have all that right.  I can't find any export settings on the camera to tweak - hence asking for your help.

• 10. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                            AlfonsMallgan Level 1

It seems strange but when I started the project as a 4:3-project, Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 treated it as a wide-screen-project and the outputfile is also a 16:9-file, at least it seems so when I play the output-DVD on a DVD-recorder.

• 11. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                              AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Hi,

It seems strange but when I started the project as a 4:3-project, Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0 treated it as a wide-screen-project and the outputfile

is also a 16:9-file, at least it seems so when I play the output-DVD on a

DVD-recorder.

Anders Åström

• 12. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

It seems strange but when I started the project as a 4:3-project, Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 treated it as a wide-screen-project and the outputfile

is also a 16:9-file, at least it seems so when I play the output-DVD on a DVD-recorder.

Several questions here:

1.) was the Imported/Captured source material actually 4:3, or 16:9?

2.) what were the setting on Export/Share?

3.) how is the set-top player (and possibly the TV) set to handle 4:3 material?

All three answers can impact what one sees, when the material is played on a set-top player hooked to an HD TV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                                  AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Hi,

1) 16:9

2) PAL Dolby DVD

3) DVD-Player: 16:9 Auto, TV: Auto

Anders Å

• 14. Re: Not 100% widescreen
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Anders,

I assume that #2 is PAL Widescreen (16:9) with DD AC3 Audio. Is that correct, or did you Export/Share as PAL Standard (4:3)?

On #3, your DVD set-top player will then be choosing the best way to display 4:3, and you will be getting either pillar-box (does not sound like you are), or a pan & scan to effectively crop off the top and bottom, and a zoom to get the width to match that of the 16:9 TV.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful