9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 12:14 PM by the_wine_snob

CS4 project into CS5?

shooternz Level 6

Will a CS4 project open in CS5

(Maybe you could do a test on this Harm if you have time.)

I would like to know so I can plan project migration to a new system.

Answer would be good for the CS5 FAQ sub forum

• 1. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no problem in importing a CS4 project into CS5.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I have opened and edited different CS4 projects, among them the PPBM project, but also two other sizable HDV projects and never encountered one single problem. Both these projects are now only edited in CS5, with two limitations: MB Looks effects do not carry forward, so I have to skip these effects, until MB Looks is available in 64 bit, which is expected around two weeks after CS5 ships, and the second limitation is the Surcode plug-in. New activation codes will only be passed out after final release of CS5.

For the rest, everything works great, including other beta plug-ins that I tested. This also applies to Encore.

The one thing I miss however, is the edit in Audition command only works with Audition 3.0 , not with 4.0. Audition 4.0 is still a stand alone application, but maybe that will be corrected in the final release.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But if you use plugins that are not 64 bits you will have to wait

until they come available.

E.g. Magic Bullet Looks.

• 4. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

As already confirmed ; CS4 imports work into CS5.    Likewise CS3 projects import into CS4.   However it is a good idea to complete the project in one ver if at all possible.   Imports are not always 100% perfect.

• 5. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                  shooternz Level 6

I have never had any issues with migrating projects thru the versions -  apart from the crazy Matrox period.!

I know its common wisdom but in my work.(TV Commercials) ..the project or part of the project can be recycled /reused on occassion.

At some point one has to rationalise the projects and the amount of hardware and PPRO versions one is managing.

• 6. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I cannot address your question, but see that some "heavy-hitters" already have, so you got what you wanted.

When I have Opened (or Imported) older versions' Projects into later versions, all has worked fine. As has been mentioned, when something is missing, like a Transition, etc., PrPro has warned me of this, and even told me what was missing, and exactly where is was missing - neat touch. Most of these were 3rd party Transitions, and just not available to me. In some cases, these were Transitions that were available on older versions of Pr on the Mac, and some were just 3rd party. Cannot recall any Effect being missing, so it's only an assumption that one would get the same sort of message.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                      Fighting Sticks Level 2

Shooternz,

You should be able to recall my posted 'rant', a couple months back when I found I could not import my CS3 project into CS4 without 'errors' that rendered the project untenable in CS4.  Both forum users and Tech support advised me to purchase, 'No Problems', then implied error on my part when it didn't - further compounding my aggravation.  Tech Support's story changed from 'No Problems' to 'serious errors can occur in some instances' & Adobe refused to refund me until I got my state's ombudsman involved.  Now my case may just be 'some instance' but I suffered a lot of emotion and wasted a lot of time. Before you spend the dollars, please, download the trial version and test it with your specific projects.

• 8. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                        shooternz Level 6

It wouldnt be a show stopper for me because I have all the versions from CS

2 thru CS4 on my various systems. All operating fine.

I asked the question re CS4 to CS5 because some of my current projects will be migrated across to my CS5 system for use in the future. They will all be completed and output in the version they started in.

In saying all that... I have  never had an issue with the version migrations but I am more cautious this time due to the 32 - 64 bit thing.

• 9. Re: CS4 project into CS5?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Caution is probably a good policy, especially with this version. It will be interesting to see how well, or how poorly, things work out. When you have a moment, please report.

Good luck,

Hunt