27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 2:23 PM by Steve Grisetti

My book's on sale!

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If any of you have appreciated the help I've been able to offer as host on this forum for the past five years, you may want to check out my latest book, "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe Premiere Elements," a step-by-step guide to creating 50 popular special audio and video effects.

Amazon is currently offering the book at nearly 25% off its usual price -- and with free shipping!

It's a great supplement to the Muvipix.com Guides I've written for Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements.

• 1. Re: My book's on sale!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at my TV Guide, it looks like you are appearing on Oprah's Book Club this wekk.

Way to go!

Congratualtions,

Hunt

• 2. Re: My book's on sale!

I just hope she doesn't bump me for Tyler Perry again...

• 3. Re: My book's on sale!
              Wucky Level 1

Thanks for letting us know, Steve... we love your books and have found them quite helpful.

Question  - - -  I'm still on version 7.  Does the book (and effects) assume version 8, or do most of them work in 7 as well?

Chuck

• 4. Re: My book's on sale!

There are three "Cool Tricks" that work with Motion Tracking, a feature unique to version 8, Chuck.

All of the other tricks will work identically the same way in versions 7 or 8.

Here is a sampling of what you can do.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks.php

• 5. Re: My book's on sale!
                  Wucky Level 1

Thanks....  just ordered it   . . .  I see it's subtitled "Volume 1"...   you working on the

next 50 tips?

• 6. Re: My book's on sale!

Maybe some day. But for now, volume 1 is the only volume and the only one on the planning boards.

But thanks for your enthusiasm!

• 7. Re: My book's on sale!
                      CruelRhetoric Level 1

Steve,

so the book has the illustrations like on Muvipix.com???  I'm going to order it as well, good stuff right there!

• 8. Re: My book's on sale!

Thanks so much for supporting the book, Carlton! Happy moviemaking!

• 9. Re: My book's on sale!
                          P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Steveroo!

I just picked up both of your PE books from the post office and I just opened the box after an evening of cool white wine and Indian food!!  I wonder what Hunt's sommelier recomendations would be with a mushroom curry?  hehe

Anyway, the BOOKS look great!   Now I have a real arsenal of learning in front of me!

GRAZIE!!!

Petey

• 10. Re: My book's on sale!

Prego, Petey! Have fun with them!

And, yes, I do wonder what wine Hunt would recommend with Indian food and some good reading...

• 11. Re: My book's on sale!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, much depends on the Indian food and the region, but my first thought is always a rich GR Kabinett Riesling, with Indian, but I have been known to kick it up a notch to a Spätlese level of QMP Riesling.

When we dine at Tamarind (Mayfair, London), a Michelin starred Indian restaurant, just around the corner from our flat, I nearly always start with a good GR Riesling, and seldom am sorry.

Enjoy!

Hunt

• 12. Re: My book's on sale!
                                CruelRhetoric Level 1

Wow!!  I thought that was just a screen name @Hunt LOL

• 13. Re: My book's on sale!
                                  Don the Patriot-tfCSVT

Just received your book from Amazon. I don't think I got a discount but it is worth every penny. Much thanks for a very well written book.

• 14. Re: My book's on sale!

You just made my day, Don! Thank you!

• 15. Re: My book's on sale!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the nice words. We all try to give Steve his props, as they are always due.

Nice screen name too!

Hunt

• 16. Re: My book's on sale!
                                        P_Forrest Level 1

@Steve: I went through the entire first book "PE 8" today and I must say that book should be the de facto manual for PE!  Great book!  I noticed you like snow.   hehe   I didn't know you could get VOBs off a DVD with PE 7.  I have a few non-commercial DVDs that I've wanted to extract and "there it is."  I didn't know there was a slideshow function either.  It's impossible to figure that out if you don't "show docking headers" and you're not in the EDIT option.   Also, I was very much interested by that "Interpret footage."  Never knew about that at all.   Bravo!   Though, you didn't mention F9 as a shortcut to create a text title.  I find that works faster on my ageing PC.  I got that one from your buddy Chuck!  The second book "Cool Tricks..." is fantastic. I've scanned it a bit and it has lots of great tricks for my videos.

@Hunt: Riesling seems a good choice with curry and I like your London resto.  Looks like a nice upscale place.  I often drink Muscadet.  Do you know that one of the ingredients in the Hoegaarden beer is coriander seeds?

It's a heatwave the last 5 days in Ottawa.  It's 35 C (95 F) and humid!!!!   Time for some cranberry cider!

Petey

• 17. Re: My book's on sale!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

I you are doing work with VOB's, this ARTICLE might be useful, as it gives a bit of background and some potential pitfalls. If the VOB's are 100% DVD-compliant, say authored in Adobe Encore, or PrE, then all should be fine - otherwise, all bets might be off.

I also agree that Steve covers a lot of territory, and does it very well. There are so many features in PrE, that I have never found, that I always pick up little tips from his books. Though I do use PrPro much more often, I still try to completely explore PrE, and Steve has helped me greatly in that endeavor.

As for the beer, I really like coriander,  so need to keep my eye out for that ale. Sounds interesting.

Since we are also in the midst of the Arizona Summer (had a wonderful and very long Spring, but it's now REALLY Summer), I'll be grabbing a Sauvignon Blanc in a few moments, when I officially declare "wine-thirty."

I've found a few nice Muscadets from the Loire (best region for the Melon grape, IMHO), but find that too many are rather "weak." Sort of like Chenin Blanc. The good ones are great, but there are too many that make me ask "why?" I could go on with similar statements about Merlot, and Pinot Gris/Grigio, or domestic (US) Riesling, but will not bore you.

Enjoy your reading,

Hunt

• 18. Re: My book's on sale!
                                            P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Hunt!

I won`t be editing VOBs but the info is great and appreciated.  I need to have a good basic knowledge and I`m feeling more confident.

I will eventually go to PRO when I get a new computer, but that`ll probably be in the spring or summer of 2011.

I like that line, "wine-thirty!"

Actually, I bought PE 8 (in French) to install on my girlfriend`s computer. I went through all the troubles like mentioned on this forum.  She has a Vista, NDVIDA machine.   Anyway, the program still crashed mostly even after updating all drivers, etc... and the patch.  The problem with the patch is that you can`t install it if you can`t open a new project, otherwise the option is grayed out.  Somehow, I created a new project and could get the patch.  Still, then I could not open the project I just created with crashing.   Disabling Threading optimzation did not help.  The only thing that fixed it was to TURN OFF MCAFEE`s scanning.  That did the trick. Luckily, I saw someone mentioned that on the site.

Had a nice Bordeaux last night with my partner in crime girlfriend.   hehe

cheers!

Petey

• 19. Re: My book's on sale!
                                              wyzboing

Is there a printed version of this book and also your book Guide to PrE8?  I cannot find them on Amazon UK and can only find a downloadable version of the latter and no sign at all of the the Cool Tricks publication on the Muvipix website.

Regards

• 20. Re: My book's on sale!

There shouldn't be a downloadable version! I sure didn't authorize that!

I think you can order the book from Amazon -- but the shipping has gotten outrageous to the UK for some reason.

Drop me a note at steve at Muvipix dot com and we'll see if I can arrange to have it drop-shopped to you from the printer.

• 21. Re: My book's on sale!
                                                  Haber1

Hello

Does the "Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 9" contains all the stuff that's in the "Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 9" or should I buy both books to well cover PE9 ?

Does the "Cool tricks & hot tips" refers to PE9?

Thanks

• 22. Re: My book's on sale!

Absolutely! The Guide to Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9 includes the Premiere Elements 9 book in its entirety. What a value, eh!

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

As for the Cool Tricks book, it was written for version 8 -- but virtually everything in the book applies to version 9 also.

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

• 23. Re: My book's on sale!
                                                      Haber1 Level 1

Great, thanks.  Ordered both.

• 24. Re: My book's on sale!
                                                        Intrepid17

Steve - watched your demo on muvipix and just ordered the Cool Tricks book from Amazon. I started years ago with PRE2 and am now using PRE9, I am looking forward to learning some new techniques and tricks. Thank you for taking the time and effort in authoring the book.

Howard

• 25. Re: My book's on sale!

Thanks so much for supporting the books, guys! Let me know if you have any questions!

• 26. Re: My book's on sale!
                                                            wyzboing Level 1

Thanks for the PE9 Guide and Cool Tricks book Steve. You went out of your way to get them to me across the pond. They arrived last week only about a week after ordering and at a great price too. I have other PE manuals but these are definitely the best. Really easy to follow and lots of background info explaining why the prog behaves in certain ways.  Also different/quicker/better ways of doing some things I already worked out.  Great chapters on project settings, file formats etc. for novices like myself. Have lots more questions so will probably pop by the Muvipix forum sometime soon.

Chrissie

• 27. Re: My book's on sale!

Thank you so much for your kind words, Chrissie! You've made my day!

Happy moviemaking! I hope to see you around the forums.