5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 11:02 AM by CVK-USA

Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4

Breckenridge_Realtor

I currently have 3 root directory index pages: index.html, index.htm, and default.htm

My host is GoDaddy and the page that resolves for http://www.amenta.com/ is the default.htm page.  So, I would like to get rid of the other two, neither of which is cached by Google, in order to avoid any future canonicalization issues.

When I go to delete index.htm and index.html in the Dreamweaver CS4 Files window, I am alerted that there are many internal pages linking to them.

How can I pull up a list of all of these pages?

Also, when I try to run a "Change links sitewide" function and I enter "Change all links to : /index.html" "Into links to : /" I am prompted that "no links to /index.html found".  But when I try to delete this file, I am shown the first several of 186 such files.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

• 1. Re: Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

/index.html is a root relative link.

Have you tried a Find & Replace for document relative links? i.e. index.html without the leading /

• 2. Re: Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4
            Breckenridge_Realtor Level 1

Thanks for your reply John.  I am not sure what you mean here.  The only index.html file that I am concerned with at the moment is the one at the root level.  I am not looking to direct every link to any index.html file to the root directory.

• 3. Re: Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let's start again.

When you click on the root level index.html file and press Delete, can you give an example of the files which are linked to that file?

When I check your website, all the Home page links point to "/" which suggests that there are few /index.html references in your code.

• 4. Re: Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4
                Breckenridge_Realtor Level 1

Thanks again John.  DW indicates that there are 185 files linking to index.html when I attempt to delete it through the Files Window.  Here is the display:

DWscreen.jpg

However, each of these 6 files link to / and not /index.html and I can not figure out how to pull up a list of the rest of the files beyond what this alert message shows.

When I attempt to delete index.htm through the DW Files Window, I am alerted about just one file linking to it.

Perhaps DW is programmed to consider /index.html as the default for any link to / but on my host, the default page seems to be default.htm which is why I want to get rid of index.html and index.htm to avoid any duplicate content or canonicalization issues.

But before I delete index.html, I want to be sure that I am not creating a bunch of broken links when I do so.

And, when I try to run the following "Change Link Sitewide" command...:

DWscreen2.jpg

...I am prompted that no such links exist:

DWscreen3.jpg

Thanks again for your looking into this with me.  If nothing else, I will just go ahead and delete both index.html and index.htm and then do a check for broken internal links.

• 5. Re: Internal link checking with Dreamweaver CS4
                  CVK-USA

Heres a wild idea - use at your own risk, do make a backup of your whole site before you try this - and do a "recreate site cache" just for good measures..

Now, make a copy of your default.html.. lets call it bak_default.html. Then delete default.html. DW will complain, ignore it. Now rename your index.html to default.html within the files pane of DW. It will ask you if you want to update all existing links as well. Say yes. Then delete default.html again and restore the bak_default.html to default.html.

It should work, but still: good luck and dont forget the backup before you try this..