8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 11:44 PM by glossyvarnish

DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players

glossyvarnish

Hi,

I've been using Elements 7 on Windows 7 before Elements 8 was released.

The source of video is a SD HDD-camcorder and for all the projects I created 4.7 gb dvd-folders, then using a seperate dvd-writing software to burn to discs.

Now since Elements 7 wasn't officially supported I upgraded to Elements 8, but the problem is that the dvds created - although same workflow, do not work on standalone dvd players.

Now, the source is the same, I've tried diffrent dvd-media (dvd+r, dvd-r) and diffrent software for writing dvds, and i've tried four diffrent dvd players and only one player is able to playback the elements 8 dvds.

The dvds are of the type Autoplay-dvd.

I assume given these combinations i've tried - the process of compiling a dvd has changed in Elements 8 as compared to Elements 7 which then outputs less compatible dvd-folders.

Googling around on the term "Opendvd" i found a concept of DVD-V and DVD-R and a knowledge base article on Microsoft hinted that these are diffrent modes of dvd-video or something and I'm wondering if this might be the reason - regardless of it, i've no idea how to fix it so i really need help on solving this issue,

hope somebody can help.

• 1. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you're using Share/To Disc in Premiere Elements to create your DVDs, there is absolutely no reason the DVDs you produce with Premiere Elements should be any less (or any more) compatible with your DVD players than those produced by any other program.

Issues with incompatibility with DVD players are related to how the players read the disc. Not the video files themselves. A VOB is a VOB. And Premiere Elements has been producing them using the same Main Concept codec since version 1.

Can you be more specific about how you're creating your DVDs in Premiere Elements? Something just isn't making sense.

BTW, Premiere Elements 7 should work just fine on Windows 7. At least as well, if not better, than version 8. At least on the 32-bit version of the operating system.

• 2. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
            glossyvarnish Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks for quick reply,

I was quite suprised myself when the dvds started acting that way.

The process is quite straightforward i drag a clip onto the timeline, select Share and create a dvd-folder then i use Nero/cdburnxp to create a dvd-video project and drag files into the disc-project and burn and finalize the disc.

MainConcept is as far as i know an mpeg-encoder for creating the VOB-files, while i believe the IFO files which contain the structural information about a disc is something which usually isn't something an mpeg-encoder is supposed to do?

Premiere elements 7 worked better in this sense at least and i'm running W7 64-bit.

• 3. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players

Did you author the disc first by going to the Disc Menus tab in Premiere Elements and set it up to Auto Start?

And can you be a bit more specific about the steps you took to Share to a DVD folder?

• 4. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players

Actually, disregard what I said about going to Disc Menus and clicking the Auto Play option. It looks like it's on by default if you don't add a menu.

What is the structure of the DVD files you're burning to a folder on your hard drive?

Is there a VIDEO-TS folder with VOB files in it?

Did you burn this folder itself (not just the files in it) to your DVD disc?

You may well be right. There might be something buggy about version 8 in this regard. I've found more than one thing that was left undone when the program was released. But I can't say without knowing exactly what you're working with and what you're seeing.

• 5. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
                  nealeh Level 5

glossyvarnish wrote:

...then i use Nero/cdburnxp to create a dvd-video project and drag files into the disc-project and burn and finalize the disc.

I'm confused about your burning. You say "Nero/cdburnxp" but these are two separate products that can do the same thing. Why do you need both in your workflow? Also I've seen comments that cdburnerxp cannot overburn so, if you have used it to burn a full 4.7GB disk, you may only burn 4.37GB. This could give your DVD players problems.

To throw a third program into the mix ImgBurn is popular on this forum - you can get it from here: The Official ImgBurn Website Just point it at the folder containing your VIDEO_TS and away it goes.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to take a look at this ARTICLE for some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
                      glossyvarnish Level 1

Hi Neale,

what i Meant by mentioning two programs was that i tried both of them on diffrent occasions too see if it made any difference.

• 8. Re: DVDs created in Elements 8 do not work on standalone players
                        glossyvarnish Level 1

Okay, I took an even more systematic approach to this problem yesterday,

here's what i did (all burning done in cdburnxp),

1. using a dvd+rw disc i burned an older dvd-folder which i knew worked - worked fine in player, this was just to confirm that the player could indeed play back dvd+rw/media.

2. using the same disc i burned a dvd-folder which was created in elements7 - it worked.

3. using the same disc i encoded a project created in elements 7 loaded in elements 8 - it worked

4. using the same disc - i tried once again tried to create a new project added one old video file too see if there might be something wrong with the source video.

At this point i also did some research using the Get Media Info option in premiere, and the framerate for the same file was reported as 29,97 and 25 depending on where on the harddrive i tested it - might be because premiere adds some metadata to it.

5. using the same disc - i reencoded an elements 8 project which didn't work on standalone players, burned the dvd folder - it worked

At this point i was thinking, okay, maybe the Media I did use orignally wasn't compatible, so i gave it another shot in #6 and #7.

6. Using a dvd-r i burned the image from step #5 -burned at 16x - it worked.

7. Using a dvd+r I burned the image from step #5 - burned at 16x - it also worked!

Now the confusion is complete for my part - and I can not find any conclusive reason for the misbehaviour orignally reported.

Seems like either Premiere Elements or the media was having a bad hair day when I originally reported this problem.