• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing between family Nook and Sony Reader?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2010 Apr 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I received the above readers for Christmas.  We would like to be able to share books.  I have no experience with ADE or ebooks generally other than buy, download and read.  It appears to me that we could share our books through ADE by using a common email address (and maybe a common credit card?).  I think we would have to modify our respective emails (and credit cards?) with B&N and Sony and re-download all the books.  Then we would authorize the PC, Nook and Sony as required....I haven't been through the authorize process so I don't know what is involved.  We could add all books to the ADE library and download as needed?

Is this feasible?  It appears to the only possible approach from what I have been able find on the net.  If it doesn't work, then ebooks become much less interesting.

I do understand that there is some sort of problem in sharing a B&N book with a Sony, but the other direction is possible.  Do I have that right?

Thanks much,  Bruce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ePubs purchased from B&N use a password based DRM scheme where the content is tied to a username and password (your email and CC# in the case of B&N).  This content does not work on your Sony (or Sony Ebook Library), until Sony issues a update for the  Sony Readers (and Sony EBL).

Once this is supported on the Sony (and other) devices, there are no limit to the number of devices which can be activated using the same username/password.

Note: B&N also sells content in eReader form (.pdb) with the same DRM scheme, this will most likely never work on the Sony Readers.

ePubs purchased from Sony (and just about everyplace else but Amazon and Apple) uses a DRM scheme where the content is tied to your AdobeID, as long as both your Nook and Sony Reader (and computers) are authorized to the same AdobeID, your Sony purchased ePubs will be viewable on both.  The activations limits for your AdobeID are 6 computers and 6 devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim....very helpful.  It sounds like we need to start over with essentially one account in both places...same username, password, email, and CC.  How is the AdobeID constructed.....same items?

Are the Sony mods required to make this a two-way process expected any time soon?

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you need to start over, as the two DRM schemes will run happily in parallel.   Assuming for now that the the Sony Reader is yours, and the Nook is your wife's:

You have an AdobeID, if you didn't explicitly create one then Sony did it for you and it is the same as your Sony ID.  So install Adobe Digital Editions (if you haven't already), and verify that you can view ePubs you have purchased from Sony in ADE (you should Sony EBL and ADE share the activation information).  After you are sure you can view your content (important to make sure everything is working correctly), attach your wife's Nook, and it should ask you to activate the device.  This will not impact your wife's ability to view any content she has purchased from B&N.  After the Nook is activated then you will be able to transfer content onto the Nook without problem (simple file copy, or drag & drop using ADE).  If you and your wife do not share the same computer then you will want to install ADE on her computer and authorize it to your AdobeID as well.

When Sony has an update for the Sony Reader to support the password based DRM (and Adobe has an update for ADE to support it), then you will just need to copy the B&N ePub files from your wife's Nook onto your computer, and open it up in either the Sony Library or ADE, which will ask for the username and password.  Enter in your wife's B&N account information, and the desktop software should be able to read your book, and it will transfer the content to your Sony Reader where you will be able to read it there as well.  Until those updates are released you will not be able to view B&N content on the Sony Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2010 Apr 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim....you have apparently simplified things enormously.  I read your message to say that we need not have a common credit card nor email address....so one could share books with anyone (up to the max) ?

I have successfully authorized the Nook and transferred the Sony books to the Nook.  Hopefully it will eventually work as smoothly going from the Nook to the Sony.

You have been a great help which is much appreciated.

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My husband and I, like Bruce, have an ereader and nook. I have no problems downloading books, either from the ereader library or ADE, to the Sony ereader but not to the nook. When I downloaded the ADE I didn't realize the ADM live ID had to be the same as the ereader so I had a different password. I could not get ADE wouldn't authorize the nook. I got the message E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY. After reading your post Jim, I went in and reset my Adobe Live passwork to match the sony reader, restarted my computer but it still will not let me authorize the nook. I get this same message. What am I doing wrong. What am I doing wrong. In fact my nook has the same password and ID as the ereader and now ADE.

Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2010 Apr 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error indicates that the Nook is not correctly presenting it's device key to ADE.  You could submit a support case to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions) however I don't think there is much we could do, so I would suggest contacting B&N instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2010 Apr 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Barnes and Noble -nook - and they said it was not the nook but with the ADE software. Since I haven't had any problems with the Sony ereader, I'm seriously considering junking the nook and getting a Sony. I'm now telling my three sisters that they should get the Sony one also. Thanks for your help. Marian

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:56:57 -0600

To: waddfam1@msn.com

Subject: Sharing between family Nook and Sony Reader?

The error indicates that the Nook is not correctly presenting it's device key to ADE. You could submit a support case to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions) however I don't think there is much we could do, so I would suggest contacting B&N instead.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marian...after my one very poor encounter with B&N Support, I wouldn't believe everything they told me.  Have you tried resetting the Nook to see if it resolves the problem.  It's a shame to have to toss it.

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just this morning I received the authorization code to return the nook and they will credit my card. I agree most of their techs don't know what they are talking about and I told the supervisor that. I'm going to get the sony touch reader as I have verified with sony that you can have up to 6 accts with one library the same with the ADE. It is a great idea that maybe in a year they'll get the bugs out

Thanks for your help - I have advised my sisters to stay away from the nook and go with Sony. WiFi isn't everything!

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 04:59:08 -0600

To: waddfam1@msn.com

Subject: Sharing between family Nook and Sony Reader?

Marian...after my one very poor encounter with B&N Support, I wouldn't believe everything they told me. Have you tried resetting the Nook to see if it resolves the problem. It's a shame to have to toss it.

Bruce

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines