17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 5:19 PM by AlanKl2

Best Output to HDTV and Computer?

AlanKl2

I just got a Micro four thirds cameras that takes 720 HD movies in avi besides regular stills in 12mb.  What is the best Share output when I want to play on an HDTV? (I have a 1080 but do not have a Blu-ray burner in my computer; only a DVD burner)??

• 1. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
          AlanKl2 Level 1

Oh.  I'm using Premiere 4 version.  Do later Version provide better formats?

• 2. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, the video from that camcorder isn't editable in Premiere Elements. Like the Flip, it uses a proprietary codec, and the video it shoots is made to pretty much shoot and post to YouTube.

If the cam came with its own editing software, that would be the best software to use.

Otherwise, you can try to use a program like Super to convert the file, per the FAQs to the right or this forum -- but then it won't be in hi-def.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But that may still work, depending on what you're trying to output.

Even still, the best option is to use the software that came with the camera.

• 3. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
              AlanKl2 Level 1

Hi Steve:  I guess my question is confusing.  The Micro four thirds is not a camcorder but just a digital still camera that also provides HD 720 in .avi file format right into Premiere.  So there's no problem with Premiere using the movie files.  My question has to do with getting the best output from Premiere for my HDTV for bothe the 720 avi movies and my stills (12mb) when I create a show combining both still and movie fomats.  Do you have any suggestions?  Tks  Alan

• 4. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is simply a file name... what is INSIDE that file is what is important

Use the free http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to determine the CODEC used

• 5. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                  AlanKl2 Level 1

Am I missing something here?  I never said that Premiere cannot use my HD720 .avi files.  Premiere recognizes the avi files and creates DVD's for me now.  (Using the NTSC Standard output which I believe only has quality of 720 x 480)  My questions is how to get better quality in the DVD Piremiere creates so that it shows better as HD720.

Does that clear up my question?

• 6. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?

The point we're trying to make is that you're not going to be able to get better quality from that video because the codec it uses isn't one that Premiere Elements can digest well.

At least if by "quality" you mean a good, clean video.

If by "quality" you mean something else -- like resolution -- you may be able to improve that. But it's still probably not going to look as good as your original video because of the codec thing.

Also, since you'll ultimately be outputting a DVD rather than a BluRay disc, resolution becomes a moot point, since DVDs are standard resolution anywya.

• 7. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                      AlanKl2 Level 1

OK  I'll try to find out what Codec my Olympus E-PL1 uses.  In the meanwhile, I notice that If I use Premiere 4 to "burn" an Avi file to my computer using MPEG 2 HD720 30, and then burn just the avi file it created to a DVD, I can play it back onto my HDTV through Playstation PS3 SLim and get much better video than if I burn a NTSC DVD with 720 x 480.  I loss the Premiere ability to create scenes and stuff, but I could do without that if the final HDTV video is better as it seems to be.

DOes that make sense?

Message was edited by: AlanKl2  I believe the original Codec for the avi files from the camera is MJPG

• 8. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Steve said, creating a DVD means you are outputting a video that is according to the DVD specification... which is NOT HiDef

Burning the AVI directly to a DVD and then playing in something other than a regular DVD player does, as you have found, allow HiDef that is outside the DVD specification

As far as MJPG... you appear to already have a codec installed, since many people have to go to one of two sites to obtain a compatible codec

MJPG edit with Morgan or MainConcept http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/
                        http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/information-797. html

Neither Morgan or MainConcept will allow you to create a HiDef DVD

• 9. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                          AlanKl2 Level 1

OK.  That clears up one big issue.  So if I want to run my video with menus and scenes to play on a DVD, I am limited to the 720 x 480 format.  That's useful for sending disks to relatives also.

But if I want to take advantage of my HDTV's 1080p HD, I have 2 options.  Use Premiere to burn AVI at MPEG2 HD720 30.  Is that the highest?  It appears that 1080 is for Blu-ray only.  That plays back in my PS3 which I assume read the better resolution.  IS that true?

The other option might be to conect the computer to play the stored avi created by Premiere direcftly to the HDTV.  Would that work?

• 10. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?

You'd be better off using Share/MPEG/1440x1080 30 output option for hi-def. But it depends what you're going to play it on.

As we've said, DVDs are not hi-def.

• 11. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                              Paul787 Level 3

Alan, are you using a camera like the Panasonic Lumix GF1? That camera records video in one of the following formats: AVCHD-Lite or Motion JPEG.

I think what Alan is attempting to do it to burn the AVCHD Lite files onto a standard DVD and playing back 720 HD resolution on certain BluRay players such as the Sony Playstation's BluRay.

That said, I don't believe Alan's Premiere Elements version 4 supports AVCHD editing or burning and the improvement in quality you may be seeing Alan could be the upconversion to near HD quality that most BluRay players will do with standard definition material.

I think you are correct though that AVCHD footage can be burned to standard DVD's and played back in 720 HD resolution on certain BluRay players.

I'm rather out of my depth on high definition so Steve or John, please feel free to step in and correct my info if it is incorrect.

• 12. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                                AlanKl2 Level 1

The Share MPEG 1440 x 1080 30 on my Premiere 4 comes in two versions, both apparantly only for File Type Blu_ray.  MPEG2 Blu_Ray (25 or 30) and H264 1080i (25 or 30) Blu_Ray.  Which version of Premiere has the 1080 HD that doesn't need Blu_Ray?  It appears that Premiere 4 can't do anything higher than 720.

• 13. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?

I'm not sure what you're saying. If you're going to play back on a computer (not a disc) Share/Personal Computer/MPEG 1440x1080 30 produces an HDV MPEG file.

• 14. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                                    AlanKl2 Level 1

OK I let Premiere use the Share MPEG2 1080i 30 to save in a folder in the WIndows Vista desktop. Two files were created .  An M2T about 1.1gb for 5 minutes worth of video along with another file xmpses of 2.6mb.  WIndows did not recognize either file in my computer.  However, I burned both files to a 4.4gb DVD.  The PS3 played it beautifully.  (Except 2 times towards the end it sped up and lost the music background both playing the disk or from the files copied into the PS3.  I was using a DVD-RW.  COuld that be the problem?  Two other times it played perfectly.

The PS3 info recognizes the disk files as an M2T 1440 x 1080 Video Codec MPEG-2 30.0 mbps.   I even copied it into the PS3 hard disc to play it from there so I don't need to use the DVD in the future.

So, will this disk play on a regular DVD?  Will it play on any Blu-Ray player? (The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and accepts DVD's and Blu-Rays.

Will I still have to give NTSC to friends if they only have regular DVD players?

• 15. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                                      AlanKl2 Level 1

One other note.  The file size on the DVD is 1.1gb but the size was suppose to be 1.

865gb according to Premiere Share data.  Why the difference?

• 16. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?

I'm sorry, Alan. At this point I'm not clear what you're trying to do.

All I know is that, if you follow a good workflow -- good video input that matches your project settings and an output to a Share option that matches your needs -- you will get excellent results.

• 17. Re: Best Output to HDTV and Computer?
                                          AlanKl2 Level 1

I've got it down to try to burn 720p HD to Disk.  SO in the Share section, I selected MPEG then selected Preset HD720p 30 and slelected my E drive where my blank DVD-R is loaded.  When I click on Save, Premiere starts but I get a message in a few seconds that says" Error compiling movie.  You do not have permission to create or delete the output file."

Why am I getting this?  Does this have to do with Administrator rights or something else?