9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 4:23 PM by Szalam

Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.

tom1597530 Level 1

Hello. I know, that there is a question like this, but I can't just use other file format, because:

Everytime I import or try to play or scrub through the file (.wmv) in the timeline, it shows an error:

After Effects error: Error (4) reading frame from file "D:\.... .wmv".

( 86 :: 2 )

How can I solve this problem? I have AVCHD camera, and I am editing the videos (HD Full HD) in Corel Video Studio. BUT!!! The only BEST file format is .wmv when I am exporting my movies. I have made an action movie and I want to add effects in AE, but it shows this error. I CAN'T JUST USE OTHER FILE FORMAT. Is there any way how to solve it?

Anyway: Will AE CS5 support WMV WITHOUT ERRORS?

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Anyway: Will AE CS5 support WMV WITHOUT ERRORS?

Utterly beside the point! Have you considered, that you may just be exporting the files with wrong settings from Corel Video Studio? Please provide exact specs and settings.

but I can't just use other file format, because:

And why would that be? The Corel site states it just as well outputrs AVIs and Quicktime files.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
            tom1597530 Level 1

The settings seem to be good, I am using WMV HD and it did that with Sony Vegas too. AVI in combination with AVCHD is very bad. 8 second video had 1 GB !!!

• 3. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The settings seem to be good,

Sorry, that's not at all helping in any way. It's like a cook saying "It must be good, because I stuck with the recipe, but I haven't sampled whether it actually tastes." Please provide the exact specs as listed in the Corel program for us poor people that don't use it.

8 second video had 1 GB !!!

You're doing video editing, are you not? So where do you hope to put those files and on top of it retain quality? You know, recompressing already compressed content will eventually end up looking utter crap....  I know it hurts, but your are simply tryingt to solve a problem in the wrong place using a wrong workflow. Ramp up your disks space. When I looked last week, they sold 1 TB (that is, 1 terabyte) disks for 66 Euros...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                trilobyte550m Level 1

I agree with Mylenium's comments.

When you're editing/producing video, you're going to get the best results by working with uncompressed video at each stage of production, and only after you're finished and all effects and titles are added, compress it down.  Whether you're using quicktime, AVI, WMV, or any other format, only convert to a compressed format at the very end.  Yes this will require more disk space.  But working with uncompressed video tends to be faster (because you don't have to encode and then decode video as you go between programs), and significantly better quality (no compression artifacts).

Good luck with your film!

• 5. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                  tom1597530 Level 1

How? Could you please short it a bit? Thanks

• 6. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                    trilobyte550m Level 1

Working with compressed video (wmv) when editing = bad.

When editing, work with uncompressed video.  Once you're done editing and adding effects/titles, THEN compress.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am going to echo the previous posters converting your video to WMV to work in AE is one of the worst things you could do. Both from a quality standpoint and from a workflow standpoint. Yes, uncompressed files are large; you're going to have to figure out how to work with that.

Why is WMV bad? I shall refer you to my friend Dave LaRonde from CreativeCOW.net's After Effects forums:

Dave's Stock Answer #1

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

WMV's fall into the same catagory of using interframe compression. Even if you used files straight from your camera, you would still have some problems because your camera uses MPEG-4 h.264 compression.

Try exporting from Corel as a Quicktime using the PNG codec (I've never used the program, so I don't know if they give that option, but it's still visually lossless and is a bit smaller file sizes).

• 8. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                        tom1597530 Level 1

Well, thank you Szalam. Your Reply was useful for me Once again, thanks.

BTW: Where are you from?

• 9. Re: Problems with importing .wmv files into the After Effects.
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mostly the USA, but I did live England for a few years. I'm originally from New Jersey, spent a good chunk of my life in southwest Missouri, lived in Texas for a year and now I'm in Nashville, Tennessee.

Why do you ask?