7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 8:14 AM by John T Smith

New equipment help required please

jrm66

I am in urgently in need of a new laptop and have seen one with the following specs that is in my "pensioner" price bracket.

Intel® Celeron® Dual-Core T3100 (1.9 GHz), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 3072 MB, Hard drive: 320 Gb hard drive.

I will be using an additional external hard drive for capturing and editing and storing the files.

Will this be suitable to run Elements 8 for editing my home videos?

many thanks

John

• 1. Re: New equipment help required please
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A Celeron processor? I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Especially with Premiere Elements 8.

I think you will find editing video on that machine very frustrating -- especially if you are working with video from a hard drive camcorder.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New equipment help required please
            jrm66 Level 1

Thanks - what would you recommend as a minimum?

• 3. Re: New equipment help required please
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what type of video you're editing. But laptops as a whole are a bad idea if you've got a tight budget. They cost about 50% more for the same power as their desktop equivalent.

As a minimum, I'd recommend a dual-core system running 2.6 hz or better (NOT a Celeron), 4 gigs of RAM, 500 gigs of hard drive space. The good news is that you can certainly find something like that for well under $1000 (maybe even under $800) for a desktop computer.

But that's only if you're editing standard video. If you're editing hi-def, you'll want a quad core or better.

Chuck's thread at Muvipix.com has some great, specific recommendations.

• 4. Re: New equipment help required please
                jrm66 Level 1

Thanks Steve between you & Chuck the replies have been very helpful - I'll look into things a bit further before buying.

John

• 5. Re: New equipment help required please
                  Guenni44

I am in a similar situation like John. I need this notebook to for creating videas from my AVCHD recorder using Premiere Elements 7. Who has some  experience wit the new i processors from Intel? Do I get a benefit for a 4 core or are 2 cores fine? Is there a significant difference betweem i7QM720 and i7QM820 or is a i5QM520; 540 or i7QM620 also an excellent solution? Is more than 4 GB of RAM a significant advantage?  Thanks very much for your reply.

• 6. Re: New equipment help required please
                    jrm66 Level 1

Just found a laptop with a Pentium dual core and 4Gb ram - would that be adequate for simple home videos   not high def?

• 7. Re: New equipment help required please
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>a laptop

You need to post a link so people may look... or at least copy/paste the hardware information

Many (most?) laptops use 5400rpm drives, and you really need 7200rpm drives for even SD video editing

You also need AT LEAST 2 hard drives (2 separate drives, never partitions on one drive) so you have Windows and all software on the boot drive, and all video and temp files on the 2nd hard drive

I edit SD video with a setup like that... desktop not laptop... and it is "OK" albeit a bit slow when transcoding to DVD

See http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Added

You mentioned an external drive... that may work as long as it is not USB... a USB drive does not have a fast enough data transfer rate for editing... a Firewire or ESata external should be OK